Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X1 E84 (2011 - current)

X1 E84 (2011 - current)
The new to the US BMW X1 will arrive at BMW dealers in the fall of 2012 as a 2013 model year. Get your X1 28i with either sDrive (RWD) or xDrive (AWD) or get the US exclusive I6 N55 powered X1 35i dDrive.

Old 09-07-2012, 07:27 PM

Mein Auto: Probably an X1
Few Questions Before I order the X1

So yea, planning to purchase the X1 XDrive28i. Basically I have a few questions before I jump the gun:

What are the differences between the standard 8-way adjustable front seats and the Power front seats with driver seat memory option? The standard seat is also electronically power right? Do hope the standard seats aren't one of those old school ones that you have to manually slide on a rail to go forward and backward by pulling a lever and you have to pump the lever like an air pump to go up and down.

I'm a bit confused with the roof rails. They do come standard right? I do see options for them. Are those options just the ability to get the rails in different color.

Since I'm an avid cyclist, I do plan on transporting at least two bikes(road bikes, maybe mountain bikes later when I get one) on the roof of the car. What's a good mount/rack for that? Any specific brands/model that are recommended?

Concerning the College Graduate Program, how does it work? Do I have to finance or lease the car from BMW to qualify? Or I can just outright buy the vehicle and still qualify?

How often do you guys bring in the BMW to fix? And at what mileage does failure starts to happen?

Do hope you guys don't mind if you find my questions to be on the dumb side. This will be my first BMW, heck it's going to be my first car. Between all the research I've doing, paperwork, insurance, and etc. Been too much stuff to digest.

Last edited by MNX1024; 09-07-2012 at 07:28 PM.
Ads by Google
Old 09-07-2012, 07:52 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 X1
We ran into the seat confusion and had to reorder our car because of it. The standard seats included are in fact manual, lever and pull systems. In order to get them power you MUST purchase the ~1000 power seat and memory. Rather irritating from BMW.

Standard long ways "matte black" roof racks are included (changing the color is a charge with different models) but to place bikes on them you must buy some kind of system. BMW sells them and they were reasonably priced. They look like this info: http://www.circlebmwparts.com/partsn...ccessories.htm. You could always make them apart of your purchase agreement... "throw in the bike rails and you have a deal". Then there is always this thread that talks about the rear mount bike rack... http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=643191

If the college grad thing is like the loyalty program you MUST finance through BMWFS to get the discount. Read the fine print on the info page. I would assume paying in cash makes it invalid as BMWUSA reimburses the dealer for those type of rebates.

This is my first new car buying experience too and its been uber stressful. I know exactly how you feel!

Hope this helped some. Oh and when in doubt, check out the BMW "download standard/options" PDF located on the right side of the options on the specs page: http://www.bmwusa.com/Standard/Conte...and_Specs.aspx

Oh the repair front. If you buy it you get the standard 4year/50k everything covered maintenance and warranty. So you wont have to fix anything. I've got a 13 year old 323i that has been an awesome car. It has had a few smaller things needing repair in the last few years but now its coming up on needing some major work so its time to buy a new one. Not bad for a 13 year old. Keep in mind anything out of warranty will be more expensive than a non-luxary car though. Most repairs hit at least 1k whereas our ford just has major work done and only cost 400.

Edit: I pulled up the college grad info and it specifically states you must lease or finance. http://www.bmwusa.com/standard/conte...teprogram.aspx If you have enough to pay it all, maybe you can finance less than 10k or something to get the discount and then pay it right off.

Last edited by lovemygsp; 09-07-2012 at 08:09 PM.
Old 09-07-2012, 09:01 PM

Wow, that's a bummer with the seat. Really don't feel like spending the extra $1000 on just a seat.... Lucky that I asked before I made the purchase. Since mine will have to be built, reordering would just be close to impossible. I also hate how you have to choose a certain line just so you can choose the seating colors...

Anyway, getting back to the College Graduate program. Based on the wording, it looks like the deal is still eligible if the vehicle is not financed or leased from BMW. I do have to say that parts of BMW's site are confusing. Basically my plan was to pay a substantial amount for the down payment and finance the rest getting a loan from my bank because of the lower interest rate. Do you think it's even possible to get a loan from the bank and get a financed amount from BMW just so I can get the incentive?

What I really want to know about work done on the BMW are, at what mileage does it start needing work to be done on it? And how often does work needs to be done on a BMW.
Old 09-08-2012, 08:25 AM
Custom User

Mein Auto: X1
Regarding the College Grad program, you do in fact need to finance through BMW FS. Howerver, you can pay it off whenever you want, or refinance to a better rate with a bank or Credit Union.
As far as the electrical seats: if you're the only one driving the car, then stay with the manual - you only need to adjust it once and you're done for the next x years.
Old 09-08-2012, 12:59 PM

the_fox, thanks for the confirmation. As for the seat, sadly I'm not the only one driving the car. Family members and friends will be occasionally driving. Ironically height discrepancies are too dramatic, some are shorter than me and some are taller than me.

Anyway, anyone know if there's any other incentives out there that does not require financing?
Old 09-10-2012, 09:07 AM

So, I negotiated from an MSRP of $40,395 to $37,000 for the following:
Alpine White
Ultimate Package
Heated Seat

So, do you guys think that's a good enough if an offer or should I go lower? Since I already negotiated for that price, can I ask for a lease in that vehicle?

Concerning leases, all of a sudden I decide to buy the vehicle before the term is over, can I do the purchase at the moment?

After skimming through the forums, found out that RFT are expensive and not as durable. What other tires do you guys recommend?
Old 09-10-2012, 09:09 AM

Alpine White
Ultimate Package
Heated Seat

So, do you guys think that's a good enough if an offer or should I go lower? Since I already negotiated for that price, can I ask for a lease in that vehicle?

Concerning leases, all of a sudden I decide to buy the vehicle before the term is over, can I do the purchase at the moment?

After skimming through the forums, found out that RFT are expensive and not as durable. What other tires do you guys recommend?
Old 09-10-2012, 09:25 AM

Mein Auto: pending...
Quote:
Originally Posted by MNX1024 View Post
Alpine White
Ultimate Package
Heated Seat

that sounds like a pretty good deal, you can check the approximate invoice of your car on bmwconfig.com, but the markup on these cars is not actually that much, so I bet you're within $1000 of invoice already.

also, if it matters, the manual seats are not that bad - yes you pull a lever, but there are hydrolics that help everything out, so there's no "pumping" you have to do.

unless you want everything else that's in the Ultimate package, you should just opt for $1000 option for the seats, or at least talk with the dealer to break down the options you do actually want... the packages came with a bunch of extra BS we didn't care about... really, lighting under your door handle - who the hell needs that - if you can't see well enough in the dark to find your door handle you probably shouldn't be driving.
Old 09-10-2012, 09:32 AM

Well, my issue was that I needed the car soon and that was the cheapest readily available option. Heck, I don't even need the heated seat.
Old 09-10-2012, 09:35 AM

looks like you're about $1000 over invoice... maybe ask them to throw in the racks and you have a deal
Old 09-10-2012, 11:09 AM
Custom User

Wait I thought that you're having it built. Otherwise you're paying a lot for electrical seats and other options you may not want, when you could get your car for $32,000 or less, in 6-8 weeks.
Old 09-11-2012, 02:21 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 97 E36M/4
Quote:
Alpine White
Ultimate Package
Heated Seat

$37K (8.5% off MSRP) is an awesome price! go buy it before it's gone? I'm pretty sure thats at or below invoice minus the MACO and Training Fee (that are added to the dealer invoice) and that kind of price is unheard of for a new BMW. Most people are getting around $750 off an invoice price that includes MACO and Training fees.
Old 09-11-2012, 04:53 PM
Custom User

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmerized View Post
$37K (8.5% off MSRP) is an awesome price! go buy it before it's gone? I'm pretty sure thats at or below invoice minus the MACO and Training Fee (that are added to the dealer invoice) and that kind of price is unheard of for a new BMW. Most people are getting around $750 off an invoice price that includes MACO and Training fees.
Yes looks like invoice with delivery is $37345 - I wonder if the quoted price is without delivery? either way, a great deal, if you value everything in the ultimate package.
Old 09-11-2012, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_fox View Post
Yes looks like invoice with delivery is $37345 - I wonder if the quoted price is without delivery? either way, a great deal, if you value everything in the ultimate package.
What do you mean by delivery? Do you mean like DMV Charges, Documentation, Registration, Inspection, or destination and handling? If so that's with delivery, the only thing that's not on it is the fees and tax. I'm going to try a little harder to see if I can drop another $200 and maybe ask them to throw in some more freebies, like a rack.

I'll be honest, I don't really need most of the stuff in the Ultimate Package. Heck, who cares about a garage door opener when I don't even have one ........

Anyway, here's my original built:

X1 XDrive 28i
Alpine white
Beige Leatherette
Silver Matte Trim
Driver Assistance Package
Technology Package
Servotronic

I was going to add the Moon Roof if I can get the price low enough, then I found out that the original seats are not powered. Which became something I prefer to have. With the roof and powered seats, the price wasn't too far off from the Ultimate package. Then the dealership told me that they have a built coming in soon with what I want. So, I decided to try my luck with some negotiation.

Since the standard seat is bothering me so much, can anyone with a standard seat post some pictures of it and a few close up of the levers? A video of how it works would be nice too, if no one minds, .

If I decide to bail out and wait, this would probably the spec I plan to have built:

X1 XDrive 28i
Alpine white
Beige Leatherette
Silver Matte Trim
Driver Assistance Package
Technology Package
Panoramic moonroof
Servotronic
+ Roof Rack

What do you think the absolute low ball offer I should try to aim for?
Old 09-11-2012, 07:21 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 X1
http://www.century-bmw.com/new/BMW/2...6daab399cb.htm
3rd row down left most pic is the manual seats.
Old 09-11-2012, 08:34 PM

Anyone have any idea how long does it take for the delivery of a vehicle that needs to be built to order? The sales rep said 6-8 weeks, but can anyone tell me how long did it took for theirs to be delivered?

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovemygsp View Post
http://www.century-bmw.com/new/BMW/2...6daab399cb.htm
3rd row down left most pic is the manual seats.
Thanks for the Pics!! The looks on the seat levers don't look very nice.....
Old 09-11-2012, 10:33 PM

Quote:
Anyone have any idea how long does it take for the delivery of a vehicle that needs to be built to order? The sales rep said 6-8 weeks, but can anyone tell me how long did it took for theirs to be delivered?

about 8 weeks
Old 09-12-2012, 06:13 AM
Custom User

Sorry by delivery I meant destination... I was tired. Either way it's a great price. If you can get a custom order with the same delta from invoice as that car, go for it - then you'll have the exact car you want. But if you do buy that one, the good thing is you'll recoup a chunk of the extra cost when you sell it. And having all those extra features for cheap is not the worst thing in the world.
Old 10-09-2012, 05:29 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2010 528xi
Get the power seats- you'll think of it everytime you sit in them if you are not happy with the manual ones for some reason. And the price.....I agree with the fox , that sounds very aggressive- grab it.
2003 330cic Jet Black / Natural Brown - retired
2001 X-5 3.0 Titanium Siver /Black - retired
BMW CCA Member