Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)

X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)
Talk about the E83 BMW X3 in this forum!

Old 10-11-2012, 10:08 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: BMW X3
Update on Michelin Pilot Sport A/S+

Bought them from Sam's Club new, kept them regularly rotated (though I never really needed to, they and all previous tires wore fairly evenly)

New tire depth is about 9/32.
Just replaced them with 2.5/32 rear and 3.5/32 fronts after only 18,000 miles. (March-October) (road hazard as I picked up someone's muffler clamp in a tire and they were really worn at this point)

Sam's Club however, is great with prorating since they do that instantly instead of having to wait for other tire shops to ship them out to be looked at and waiting like 4-6 weeks.

I ended up buying them again so will take them for another spin. Though the day I got them installed, I noticed my local Sam's Club is now able to order Pirelli's, so I may go back to the Scorpions if I have such low mileage use again.

Overall, I really liked this tire. The ride qualities of it are better than the Scorpions both new and worn. It's wet weather traction is also quite fantastic. As good as if not slightly better than the Scorpions (by my driving feel, so this is subjective) Dry weather traction is great as well.

I really really like this tire choice. I only wish it lasted longer since it has a 45,000 mile warranty. Regardless, I was taken care of in the mileage difference when repurchasing so I can't complain terribly.
Ads by Google
Old 10-11-2012, 11:10 AM

Mein Auto: E39 ///M5
What's the cost on these tires. Im running Conti DWS and love them
National Capital Chapter #465420
2000 ///M5 Oxford Green | Caramel Nappa | Brushed Aluminum Trim | DINAN | Eisenmann | SuperSprint | TuningTech | ///M Registry | My Progress Thread |
2006 X3 3.0i M-Sport | Silver Grey | Terracotta | AT | Navigation | Premium Pkg | Cold Weather Pkg | AFE |
2000 323Ci | TiAg | Gray | 5MT | SOLD
Old 10-11-2012, 12:59 PM

They are like $199.95 if I recall correctly and had an instant $70 off rebate at the time.
Old 10-11-2012, 02:38 PM

Mein Auto: '06 X3
My 18" Michelin PSP's have lasted over 38,000 miles since I replaced my OEM Scorpions with them. I did it because I wanted a better ride -- and I got that and more. I am surprised you are getting such high wear, perhaps there is a problem with alignment? Anyway, mine are still going strong and I anticipate keeping them on the car until I sell it in the next year or so. I replaced the Scorpions at 48,000 -- and now have almost 87K miles on the X3.
Old 10-11-2012, 09:41 PM

Alignment issues that would normally show up on tires are nonexistent hence getting the new ones prorated.

All wear was even and flat across the middle.

I am surprised myself, though I wonder if driving long highway stretches in disgustingly hot conditions this summer might have had anything to do with it? I dunno, but I still liked these tires a lot and I'll be giving them another shot. Like UncleJ said above, they are a better ride. The new feel of them were more comfortable than the Scorpions though only slightly. The true test was seeing and feeling its ride quality when down to the wire. And at 2.5/32s and 3.5/32s, they still rode very well and nowhere near as harsh as the Scorpions during the last few 32s of life I had on them. I'm at over 160,000 miles on my 2005 X3 now.