Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E60 (2004 - 2010)

E60 (2004 - 2010)
BMW 5-Series (E60 chassis) was first seen in the Unites States in the fall of 2003 with a 2004 Model Year designation. The E60 is now available as a 528i, 528xi, 535i, 535xi, 550i and a 535xi sports wagon! -- View the E60 Wiki

Old 11-17-2012, 01:39 PM

Mein Auto: 540iT
Talking Sport for XI versus I

I know you are all familiar with this but, I'll post again for any newbies.
I just picked up a clean, modest mileage (52k) 535xI with every option except HUD and rear shades. I hoped that with the sport package and sport wheels/tires, it'd handle as well as my old E39 wagon (sport package). On the 1000 mile drive home from the dealer I was totally blown away at how well this E60 soaked up pot holes, bumps, ruts, etc. It was head and shoulders above the E39 for refinement. But ... it wallows and floats like a Bavarian Buick! 18" rims be damned, this thing is like driving my dad's car. I am really disappointed by the handling, but I needed a loaded car with all the cold weather options. It seems like if it has Navi/Premium/Logic7/Cold and comfort, it's going to be a slush box and it's going to be an Xi.
Today I drove a 535i (no x, full sport package). The difference/improvement was night and day. THIS car feels like a BMW.

Anyway, if you're coming from a previous sport optioned BMW, I advise you not to bother with the E60 xi models. They're cruisers and no more.

If anyone wants a super clean, no stories, totally loaded 2008 535xi, I'd be willing to sell the one I just bought and continue the search for a fully loaded New England 535i (RWD).

John
Advertisement
Old 11-17-2012, 05:16 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2014 E550 4matic
The X-drive Sports package is just cosmetic - a sport steering wheel, shadow line trim and comfort seats. As for your car - have you thought of upgrading the tires.

BMW CCA Member
Old 11-17-2012, 06:10 PM

You mean going from the cuurent 18's to 19" rims?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Munich77 View Post
The X-drive Sports package is just cosmetic - a sport steering wheel, shadow line trim and comfort seats. As for your car - have you thought of upgrading the tires.
My issue is not the tires but the suspension calibration. The current 245/45r18 (same on all four corners) seem okay for grip and response.
Old 11-17-2012, 06:27 PM

Mein Auto: A Car
If i'm not mistaken XI cars rides higher and of course as you already know have a different suspension calibration.
Old 11-18-2012, 07:53 AM

Send a message via AIM to core22
Mein Auto: e60
I put KW v3 coilovers on my 535 xi and the difference is like night and day. Lower center of gravity, stiffer in the corners, and offers more confidence in the twisties. The rebound and damping control options are wonderful.
2010 535i xDrive - Platinum Gray | Black Dakota | Sport | Logic 7 | Navigation | HD Audio | M Tech | RDSport Roof Spoiler | Dinan Stage 2 | Dinan Exhaust | KW v3 Coilovers | Beyern Mesh | Conti DWS 255/40-285/35 | RPI Scoop | Gloss Black Kidneys | 50% Tint | Debadged

For Sale - RDSport roof & trunk spoilers (Plat. Gray) | 1x Conti DWS 245/40/18 | OEM Grills

Old 11-18-2012, 09:07 AM
Nothing to see here...

Mein Auto: '08 535i
^^^^

Bingo! Instead of selling your xi and shopping for an i, just upgrade the shocks & springs with an aftermarket kit. You can go from mild upgrade to full race or several stops in between. I would suggest you find a reputable performance shop that specializes in BMWs and see what they recommend. The transaction costs of selling your current car and buying another (taxes, title fees, etc.) probably add up to about the same as a very good suspension upgrade.
Old 11-18-2012, 01:37 PM

Suspension upgrades

Thanks for the good ideas.
I agree that the cost to sell my xi and by an i could easily top $3k or $4k.
But, I was so impressed with the 535i with sport, that it seems unlikely you could duplicate that performance and still maintain decent comfort on our bad NE roads.

And, the "i" only gave up a very small amount of isolation over potholes and bad roads for the huge increase in responsiveness. Must be those active roll bars...

I think I'll just have to bite the bullet and pay for the mistake (sell the xi).
Too bad as it's got all the options I was looking for, and it took a while to find.
Even the CPO cars at the BMW site weren't as well optioned as this one.
Old 11-18-2012, 03:17 PM
Nothing to see here...

Mein Auto: '08 535i
ARS (aka Dynamic Drive) is a great feature. I didn't realize the XI sport lacked those active rollbars.

When I was shopping for a 5-series 2 years ago, I drove several RWD and AWD both with and without sport package and was quickly sold on the RWD sport as the sweetest one of the bunch -- so that's what I narrowed my search on until I found one with the features I had to have. Good luck both with finding another one and selling your xi.
Old 11-18-2012, 08:14 PM

Mein Auto: 2009 535i, Sport
Bfeng-you are right about the 535i. It is brilliant. Here in the Northeast, they are very rare. Mine sat in the basement of the dealership for 9 months until I bought it. They almost couldn't give it away as everyone in the NE "needs" AWD. For the few snowstorms we get per year, I just make other transportation arrangements.
2006 Honda Accord EX-L
Retired fleet:
2013 Auid A5 Cabrio 2.0T (troubles, troubles)
2005 Toyota 4Runner Limited V8 (My snow tires)
2007 530xi
2004 Jaguar XJ8
2006 Saab 93 2.0T unfixable glitches, bye bye
1999 BMW 528i Touring
Old 11-19-2012, 05:13 PM

With 225 snows I think a RWD 5 could get thru pretty much anything. My old e39 540it never got stuck thru many snowy winters here in NA, and we took it to Stowe VT for skiing wo problems. Just don't it on 245/4-18'a.
Old 11-19-2012, 06:56 PM

Mein Auto: 2009 535i, Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by bfeng View Post
With 225 snows I think a RWD 5 could get thru pretty much anything. My old e39 540it never got stuck thru many snowy winters here in NA, and we took it to Stowe VT for skiing wo problems. Just don't it on 245/4-18'a.
For the first time in 3 winters, I drove the car in 2" of slush with the original Dunlop Sports. (I know shame on me). It was not as bad as I thought, but never want to that again. With snow tires, it will be fine.
2006 Honda Accord EX-L
Retired fleet:
2013 Auid A5 Cabrio 2.0T (troubles, troubles)
2005 Toyota 4Runner Limited V8 (My snow tires)
2007 530xi
2004 Jaguar XJ8
2006 Saab 93 2.0T unfixable glitches, bye bye
1999 BMW 528i Touring
Old 11-25-2012, 11:25 PM

Mein Auto: 6 Speed 550i Sport
I was in the same boat. I had a 2006 550 with the sport package and knew I loved it. I was shopping for 535's but the L7 system was a must for me and so few of them have it plus I really wanted Heads Up. I had it in my M5 and Grand Prix before that and love the feature. I just could not find a car that fit my needs though and I didn't think I was being too picky... sport package, NAV, L7, SAT trans.

So I see an ad for 2010 535xi completely loaded. "Sport package" for as much as it's a sport package on the XI's, heads up, night vision, everything. It was exactly what I wanted except it was an XI. So I drove it and didn't think it was half bad but as far as handling went it wasn't even close to my 550. I started doing the math and to make the suspension handle reasonably I was looking at thousands of dollars and then at the end of the day I would have a suspension I tuned instead of a suspension BMW tuned. Then there's the fact that the wheel offsets are different (I wanted to add M5 or M6 wheels), the cost of retrofitting the SAT shifter, etc... I sat with it overnight. The dealer let me take the car home and I really liked it. I was getting rid of an Audi A8 and a 550i to get one car and tried reasoning with myself that this would be a good compromise between the A8 and the 550 that I was selling. Comfort and speed.

Next morning came and before I did the paperwork I did one last search and upped my budget by $5000, the price I budgeted out all the suspension upgrades, SAT shifter retrofit, etc. Found a 2010 M-Tech Sport 535, RWD, SAT trans, L7 system and 40,000 less miles. Signed the paperwork; took her home.

In hindsight, I wouldn't have hated the Xi but after the initial buzz of having a new car wore off I would have definitely second guessed my purchase. I guess what I'm saying is that if the sport RWD car is what you want, sell the Xi and get that.
Old 11-28-2012, 01:48 PM

Mile k

Yup I intend to sell th Xi in a month or so. I can love w RWD as long as I'm running the 17" snows in the winter. And I'm thinking of going e the 550i so I don't have to deal w all the n54 issues.
Old 11-28-2012, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfeng View Post
Mile k

Yup I intend to sell th Xi in a month or so. I can love w RWD as long as I'm running the 17" snows in the winter. And I'm thinking of going e the 550i so I don't have to deal w all the n54 issues.
Get the 535... I had a 550i with the 6 speed manual transmission and the 535 now. The 535 is marginally slower and all of the issues (sans carbon buildup on the intake valves) have been addressed. Fuel pump issues are no longer a problem and even if they are, the fuel pump and turbos are warranted for 125,000 miles and 83,000 respectively.

Drop a JB4 and dual cone intake on the 535 and you have a car that's a genuine 400+ crank horsepower car with equal amounts of torque. Toss some E85 in the tank and you can add another 40 - 50 on top of that. Plus there's the benefit of better gas mileage when you're not beating on it and a 200lb weight savings over the front wheels which you can absolutely notice.
Old 11-29-2012, 05:54 PM

Mike, what year did you get?

I like the idea of the n54/n55 being easy to mod. but I also have to take care because of the 48mo/100k warranty I bought (doesn't allow any modifications from stock). If the boost software is easily reversed when I take the car into the dealer for it's regular service then it would be fine.

FWIW, I can do pretty much an service/repair on a car that doesn't require the modics computer. But, I've decided that the $600 a year it'll cost me to have the dealer do oil changes, etc. is worth it for ensuring there are no issues with the extended warranty company.

John
Old 11-29-2012, 09:15 PM

I bought a 2010. I reallllly wanted the newer CIC navigation introduced in 2010 and the car I found only had 20k on it so it was a no brainer for me. That and after a night with non-M heads up it was no longer a must have option for me. They really neuter the feature for non-M cars.

As for the tune, it takes about 30 minutes to remove it and the intake, no big deal. It's also not detectable by the dealer so long as you clear the codes prior to service. Most just leave it in for oil changes and only remove it for major service. You can disable it through the steering wheel controls so the car acts stock.