BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Dealership Sales Pitch

5K views 6 replies 6 participants last post by  Andrew*Debbie 
#1 · (Edited)
I am hoping to validate some of the pitches used at the local dealer. Looking to purchase a 2013 28i with the manual tranny.

Dealer said that with the M-Sport and Sport package you get a shorter throw shift lever. He kept referring to a short throw, but then he would switch to the shift lever is shorter. Fact or fiction?

There is no significant difference in the standard audio and the premium audio for the average listener. If you are an audiophile you will clearly hear a difference. Fact of fiction?

You have to pay for the car when you order it. I thought I had to put down a deposit and then when the car comes in I pay the remainder.

Do folks with the manual and navigation have challenges with accidentally hitting the idrive with their forearm?

Finally, does anyone have a picture or can point me in the right direction to pictures of the stock front/rear vs the aerodynamic kit that comes in the M-Sport.

Thanks in advance.

See less See more
#2 ·
I would never pay for a car at the time of placing the order. I ordered a 2012 35i in January and paid $500 down. Actually the deal was FINALLY reached over the phone and they placed the order then. I stopped by a day or two later to give them the $500. I had a 2010 328i with standard radio, I ordered Premium Sound in the Z4 and there is a world of difference. The Z4s premium sound stereo is awesome. Dont know if the current standard stereo is the same standard stereo that was in my 328.

#4 ·
You should only have to put down a deposit to order the car. That has always been the case for me.

There is a huge difference between the standard audio and the premium audio.

I have a standard and the i drive navigation, and I have never accidentally hit the idrive button when shifting.

#5 ·
If you go to www.bmwusa.com and build a Z4 with and without the M sport package, you can see the difference in how the car looks. Better with the M sport, IMO.

#6 ·
Thanks for the feedback everyone. I ended up putting 2 computers next to each other to compare the build Picts between the m sport and the sport. Did not notice the difference with the refresh taking so long.

I called the dealer on the $500 down payment. Funny how the story changes.

Looks like the premium audio for me.

Any feedback on the manual shift differences in the m sport vs base. Is the shift arm really longer or the throw being shorter?

I am glad I found this forum.

#7 · (Edited)
Dealer said that with the M-Sport and Sport package you get a shorter throw shift lever. He kept referring to a short throw, but then he would switch to the shift lever is shorter.
The lever is shorter which gives a shorter throw. I've driven both and prefer the M-Sport shifter. Our Z4 is an M-Sport.

There is no significant difference in the standard audio and the premium audio for the average listener.
Not true.

For the world market, BMW has 3 levels of audio: Base, business and premium. For some model years, the US market only gets business and premium.

Base audio is 6 speakers -- woofers in the kick panels, 2 mids in the doors and 2 mids behind the rear seats.

Business audio adds: An amplifier driven from the head unit speaker outputs. Tweeters in the front doors, and center speakers in the dash and rear panel. The speakers are all slight upgrades from base.

Professional audio adds: A high power amplifier with an optical digital input from the head unit, a sub woofer behind the rear seats, tweeters in the center speakers. The speakers are all significant upgrades from business.

Before ordering our Z4, we listened to all 3 using CDs I brought along to audition the sound system.

The base audio is terrible. Not only is the sound quality poor, but it isn't loud enough to hear even a news channel if you have the top down. Business audio is adequate. The door tweeters make a difference as does the additional power. Only the professional sound system sounds good.

We have base audio on our Z4. I decided business wasn't worth the money. Professional is, but we decided to spend the money elsewhere. I added the door tweeters to ours, which helps with the sound.

You have to pay for the car when you order it.
Deposit is negotiable. If you can't come to an agreement, try shopping around.

Do folks with the manual and navigation have challenges with accidentally hitting the idrive with their forearm?
We have the semi-integrated nav. No iDrive on our Z.

There is no hill start assist on the sDrive28i. Not a huge deal, but the electric parking brake is annoying.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.