Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 7 Series / 8 Series > 7 Series - E65 / E66 (2002 - 2008)

7 Series - E65 / E66 (2002 - 2008)
Discussion pertaining to the flagship BMW here.

Old 10-07-2012, 07:10 PM

Mein Auto: Forddddd
Hey all....

New guy here in Maryland....
Highly considering a 07/08 750li....have fallen in love with the car.....

Looking at a few dealership in the DMV area....anyone have certain dealerships they would suggest or stay away from....

Come from the Chrysler arena had a srt8 before getting a Eddie Bauer suv blah...

Any who all comments and recommendations are appreciated...

Thanks
Ads by Google
Old 10-07-2012, 07:31 PM
750li 745i

Mein Auto: 745.750.x5.350z.ram1500v8
dont know much of what your asking man, just look up reviews online if you find a dealer with a 750. since anything above a 5 series doesn't hold value for ****, u should be able to get one fairly cheap. also an 06 is the same body style, maybe look at mileage? you have lots of options. maybe even look into a used m5. u can find some sitting around 30-35k
Old 10-07-2012, 07:35 PM

Trying to find a decent stealership to goto in the DMV that fest people would suggest... You are right the prices are in that range with mileage under 50k
Old 10-07-2012, 08:53 PM
Banned

Mein Auto: 7 series, '08
08 best choice, last of E65 so worked out more of the problems.
Use NADA and KBB to assess value of car. use Autotrader to eval private sales. No value in dealers unless they offer 30 day warranty or return option or something to justify the extra $ they require vs private. Be patient, wait for a good one. There will always be a better one available so dont get new car fever.
Get a warranty. 3-4K in repairs is easy to do in the 1st year.
have indie do suspension-bushings-guibo to diagnostic eval before buying. use any problems to negotiate lower price or better yet have them fixed and condition of sale.
there are 200 things to check in the car electronics. make a list and try them all before buying. bluetooth pairing, moonroof, sound system, Idrive, seat controls, air, lights. even pump gas into it to make sure the vent filter is not clogged.
Old 10-07-2012, 09:00 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by pepe65 View Post
dont know much of what your asking man, just look up reviews online if you find a dealer with a 750. since anything above a 5 series doesn't hold value for ****, u should be able to get one fairly cheap. also an 06 is the same body style, maybe look at mileage? you have lots of options. maybe even look into a used m5. u can find some sitting around 30-35k
hes right. the BMW 7 is probably the #1 most rapid depreciating car so you can get a great car for low $ but it can also sink you financially if you dont get a good one. Spend the money for lower miles and do your homework first.
Old 10-08-2012, 06:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wayne86 View Post
08 best choice, last of E65 so worked out more of the problems.
Use NADA and KBB to assess value of car. use Autotrader to eval private sales. No value in dealers unless they offer 30 day warranty or return option or something to justify the extra $ they require vs private. Be patient, wait for a good one. There will always be a better one available so dont get new car fever.
Get a warranty. 3-4K in repairs is easy to do in the 1st year.
have indie do suspension-bushings-guibo to diagnostic eval before buying. use any problems to negotiate lower price or better yet have them fixed and condition of sale.
there are 200 things to check in the car electronics. make a list and try them all before buying. bluetooth pairing, moonroof, sound system, Idrive, seat controls, air, lights. even pump gas into it to make sure the vent filter is not clogged.
Thanks for the feedback wayne... appreciate it.....

Is there a guide anywhere here on bimmerfest that suggest things to look over... I come from a domestic world so the foreign cars are new to me

Most 750li 07-08 are running 29k-34k depending on mileage...

Thanks
Old 10-08-2012, 08:31 AM
750li 745i

Mein Auto: 745.750.x5.350z.ram1500v8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ch3ss View Post

Is there a guide anywhere here on bimmerfest that suggest things to look over... I come from a domestic world so the foreign cars are new to me

Thanks
probably the best thing is to just evaluate the condition, not many indys can go and really give you a run down on what could be wrong with the car. look for cars that have full service records, and are immaculate, im sure theres some that havent even had someone sit in the back seat. id rather have the low mile 07 that some 65 year old doctor had than some 07 that has lots of miles and shows its wear and tear. like others have said, you can always get a good warranty.
Old 10-08-2012, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pepe65 View Post
probably the best thing is to just evaluate the condition, not many indys can go and really give you a run down on what could be wrong with the car. look for cars that have full service records, and are immaculate, im sure theres some that havent even had someone sit in the back seat. id rather have the low mile 07 that some 65 year old doctor had than some 07 that has lots of miles and shows its wear and tear. like others have said, you can always get a good warranty.
Would you consider a 3rd party warranty or one through BMW ?

The 07 I am looking at has about 26k miles on it, and is around 34k.. Which I think is a pretty decent price.....I plan on checking it out here soon, but with travel for work and then personal it wont be for a couple weeks. I know these cars go quick, but wanted some good advice from a bmw perspective, so I appreciate that.
Old 10-08-2012, 02:46 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 07 750LI
when I bought mine I went to VOB BMW which is now BMW of rockville Dealt with a lady there named Karen who was great.
Old 10-08-2012, 02:47 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 07 750LI
what part of MD you in?
Old 10-08-2012, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue22flames00 View Post
what part of MD you in?
flames: I am down in Southern Maryland aka boonies

I am about 5 minutes from Solomnos Island...

ILl shoot you a PM
Old 10-08-2012, 03:52 PM

Mein Auto: 02 745li
Quote:
Would you consider a 3rd party warranty or one through BMW ?

The 07 I am looking at has about 26k miles on it, and is around 34k.. Which I think is a pretty decent price.....I plan on checking it out here soon, but with travel for work and then personal it wont be for a couple weeks. I know these cars go quick, but wanted some good advice from a bmw perspective, so I appreciate that.
Carchex. I swear by it!!!
combination nu
Ball Joint
Tension strut with hydr
Switch unit steering column
Coils 5&7 and new spark plugs
Faulty DSC Control Module
Fuel Gauge
Leaking Crank Case Vent Valves
Power Steering pump, washer pump and grommont,
Crank Shaft position sensor
Total $13,481.37 in one year my mechanic swears all these parts are re engineered to work better than the originals lol
Old 10-08-2012, 06:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisrees View Post
I will look at CPO as well.... but thanks for the advice !!
Old 10-08-2012, 09:13 PM
Banned

Mein Auto: 325
if the car has been lowered, modified, larger wheels then stock avoid it. It was owned by some kid who probably abused it.
Old 10-08-2012, 09:19 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisrees View Post
carchex is a broker who deal several different company warranties. YOu should read over the example one that have for your particular state for the limits of coverage. The platinum or high end are very bumper to bumper like and much better then the CPO. If you read the CPO you will see it covers much less. One big one is that all of these after markets limit the cumulative payout unlike dealer warranties. Generally the max they will pay out is based on the NADA value of the car at time of purchase.
Old 10-09-2012, 04:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tangystuffin View Post
if the car has been lowered, modified, larger wheels then stock avoid it. It was owned by some kid who probably abused it.
Yeah its stock rims, hasnt been lowered, no performance parts or anything of that nature....
Old 10-09-2012, 05:31 PM
Banned

Quote:

Thanks
Be sure to get indie to check things you cant like under carriage for suspension, bushings and guibo especially and engine faults stored. .
IF buying from dealer, talk them into load latest software. They don't like to do that if out of warranty bus some indies can do it. Some things obvious here but some gems too that you would not think of or forget

Driveway test (static)
Obvious inspect outside. Not obvious look under front fender for scrap and damage from running up on bumper stops which happens with this low slung body
Look for wheel rash. Edges of wheels from running into curbs. easy to do with the allow wheels. 150ea to fix if you miss it..
Seats, passenger and driver. Check all the settings including headrest. The thigh support get a lot of failure notices here. Select driver seat vent and Make sure air is blown up through he seats. Same for heating air. Check drive massage bar....should move front to back. Can you store 2 different positions for driver and passenger
Dash.
Headlamps and various running settings. Do they auto-adjust or can you see the beam move when you first start the car. Do headlights turn with the steering wheel. Does the instrument panel light.
Steering column stalks.
High beam, passing lights, fog lights, buttons on end of stalks to select instrument gauge displays. Check all lights with reflection from window. Angel eyes.
Voice recognition from steering wheel button.
Does phone pair. Can you access it via voice. Do you see phone data in IDrive menu, e.g. address book.
navigation. Do next turn directions show up in instrument panel (RPM).
Idrive. Play with in all functions. look at Car data and do a test. Put in a destination in the navigator. Play the radio. select stations.
Push in on the area around he AC settings buttons with your fingers. Some cars have problems with this causing random AC selection.
Windows. Test all of them.
Window shades. This one got me. make sure shades go up and down on rear doors and rear window.
Comfort Access; Open door with only key in your pocket. Start car without key inserted. Lock doors by pushing any of the 4 outside handles with key in your pocket. Can you open trunk with keys in pocket. Push button to close trunk and make sure closes by itself
Do all for doors auto-close. When they get close should pull in and latch by themselves.
Are the door handles lit up.
Moon roof slides back and forth
side view mirrors fold back using button in door rest.
side view mirrors adjust using buttons in door rest.

AC cool. Should be bout 25-30 deg less them ambient when full tilt.
Recirc and auto recirc buttons light up.
Check rear passenger A/C
All the inside lights. Including sun visor vanity mirrors with light when slide back mirror door.
Do wiper AND headlight washers work.
Look under the car and in engine compartment for fluids.

During test drive.
Does parking brake work. Do you hear it grabbing.
Does steering wheel move to position as start up. Can you adjust steering wheel and save position for next start up.
Smooth idle at about 600 rpm?
Does passenger side view mirror tilt down when you put into reverse.
Do backup sensors work in all 4 corners. have someone walk around to activate them. Do you hear the alarm sound coming from speakers in that corner where the sensor is activated.
Does manual transmission mode work. Try selecting gears manually. do transmission select buttons left and right and on front and back of steering wheel work
Select sport during test drive, do you feel it shifting differently.
Wipers in various settings including auto rain detect.
Put gas in it. Should pump without clicking off after 1 gal. The vent filter can clog. $800 for dealer to fix.

you let me know how it all turns out ok?
Old 10-09-2012, 05:41 PM

talked to the dealer today to listen to their line.....

They are talking about offeringi fidelity coverage... that is the company anyone of yall heard of it ?
Old 10-09-2012, 06:20 PM
Banned

Mein Auto: 325
Quote:
talked to the dealer today to listen to their line.....

They are talking about offeringi fidelity coverage... that is the company anyone of yall heard of it ?
http://www.fidelitywarrantyservices.com/

rating 1.4 out of 5. Read the 86 reviews. You have other choices then buying through dealer. YOu can purchase your own after you get the car from several places like Carchex.

http://www.consumeraffairs.com/auto_.../fidelity.html
Old 10-09-2012, 06:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tangystuffin View Post
http://www.fidelitywarrantyservices.com/

rating 1.4 out of 5. Read the 86 reviews. You have other choices then buying through dealer. YOu can purchase your own after you get the car from several places like Carchex.

http://www.consumeraffairs.com/auto_.../fidelity.html
Great post.... Wow those are some ****ty reviews....

I was looking on Carchex but HONESTLY couldnt find the price can anyone help me out with that at all ?
Old 10-09-2012, 06:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wayne86 View Post
Be sure to get indie to check things you cant like under carriage for suspension, bushings and guibo especially and engine faults stored. .
IF buying from dealer, talk them into load latest software. They don't like to do that if out of warranty bus some indies can do it. Some things obvious here but some gems too that you would not think of or forget

Driveway test (static)
Obvious inspect outside. Not obvious look under front fender for scrap and damage from running up on bumper stops which happens with this low slung body
Look for wheel rash. Edges of wheels from running into curbs. easy to do with the allow wheels. 150ea to fix if you miss it..
Seats, passenger and driver. Check all the settings including headrest. The thigh support get a lot of failure notices here. Select driver seat vent and Make sure air is blown up through he seats. Same for heating air. Check drive massage bar....should move front to back. Can you store 2 different positions for driver and passenger
Dash.
Headlamps and various running settings. Do they auto-adjust or can you see the beam move when you first start the car. Do headlights turn with the steering wheel. Does the instrument panel light.
Steering column stalks.
High beam, passing lights, fog lights, buttons on end of stalks to select instrument gauge displays. Check all lights with reflection from window. Angel eyes.
Voice recognition from steering wheel button.
Does phone pair. Can you access it via voice. Do you see phone data in IDrive menu, e.g. address book.
navigation. Do next turn directions show up in instrument panel (RPM).
Idrive. Play with in all functions. look at Car data and do a test. Put in a destination in the navigator. Play the radio. select stations.
Push in on the area around he AC settings buttons with your fingers. Some cars have problems with this causing random AC selection.
Windows. Test all of them.
Window shades. This one got me. make sure shades go up and down on rear doors and rear window.
Comfort Access; Open door with only key in your pocket. Start car without key inserted. Lock doors by pushing any of the 4 outside handles with key in your pocket. Can you open trunk with keys in pocket. Push button to close trunk and make sure closes by itself
Do all for doors auto-close. When they get close should pull in and latch by themselves.
Are the door handles lit up.
Moon roof slides back and forth
side view mirrors fold back using button in door rest.
side view mirrors adjust using buttons in door rest.

AC cool. Should be bout 25-30 deg less them ambient when full tilt.
Recirc and auto recirc buttons light up.
Check rear passenger A/C
All the inside lights. Including sun visor vanity mirrors with light when slide back mirror door.
Do wiper AND headlight washers work.
Look under the car and in engine compartment for fluids.

During test drive.
Does parking brake work. Do you hear it grabbing.
Does steering wheel move to position as start up. Can you adjust steering wheel and save position for next start up.
Smooth idle at about 600 rpm?
Does passenger side view mirror tilt down when you put into reverse.
Do backup sensors work in all 4 corners. have someone walk around to activate them. Do you hear the alarm sound coming from speakers in that corner where the sensor is activated.
Does manual transmission mode work. Try selecting gears manually. do transmission select buttons left and right and on front and back of steering wheel work
Select sport during test drive, do you feel it shifting differently.
Wipers in various settings including auto rain detect.
Put gas in it. Should pump without clicking off after 1 gal. The vent filter can clog. $800 for dealer to fix.

you let me know how it all turns out ok?

WOW Wayne.. Thanks so much for this informative post..... I will def print this out and take with me when looking.....

Only question I have is the gas part.... pump without clicking off after 1 gal ? meaning what I am a tad confused.....

Again thanks so much for your feedback !!!!
Old 10-09-2012, 07:18 PM

could someone run this VIN # WBAHN83597DT67604 This is the 7 series I am looking at... Thanks yall
Old 10-09-2012, 07:28 PM

Mein Auto: E65
I would NOT buy a 7 from anyone but a dealer, and get one that is CPO. There are too many things that can go wrong with these beautiful machines. If you go CPO, you hedge if it is a temperamental car. I have an 06 that I bought in 08 under CPO. All kinds of stupid stuff went wrong -- like the rear sunshade hanging up. All those little things were repaired. Now my car is out of warranty but the things that go wrong are now predictable and I fix them myself. There are 7-lemons out there and those are always the ones the corner lot knuckleheads buy at auction and unload.
Old 10-09-2012, 07:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theckj View Post
I would NOT buy a 7 from anyone but a dealer, and get one that is CPO. There are too many things that can go wrong with these beautiful machines. If you go CPO, you hedge if it is a temperamental car. I have an 06 that I bought in 08 under CPO. All kinds of stupid stuff went wrong -- like the rear sunshade hanging up. All those little things were repaired. Now my car is out of warranty but the things that go wrong are now predictable and I fix them myself. There are 7-lemons out there and those are always the ones the corner lot knuckleheads buy at auction and unload.
Good point, as I most likely wont go private seller unless it was a good deal, and had a CPO.

The problem is this 07 has 25k miles, which is rather low (hence why the carfax report I am asking for).

Passport BMW clearly stated when I spoke to them, they prefer using fidelity because the BMW extended warranty was just to costly... Sorta odd if you ask me....

Not alot of CPO's around here with the mileage I want..... Even the CPO's on an 07 only last until next year at the most... which isnt even worth purchasing IMO.
Old 10-09-2012, 08:58 PM
Banned

Quote:
could someone run this VIN # WBAHN83597DT67604 This is the 7 series I am looking at... Thanks yall
the DIY link has VIN lookup site link