Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 7 Series / 8 Series > 7 Series - E65 / E66 (2002 - 2008)

7 Series - E65 / E66 (2002 - 2008)
Discussion pertaining to the flagship BMW here.

Old 10-08-2012, 04:50 PM

Mein Auto: 04 745li
Coolant Leak at rear of engine block

After countless updates to the coolant system and repairing all the notorious engine oil leaks, I just found out today that a brand new coolant leak was discovered at the rear of my engine block. Coolant is visable at the opening at the bottom of the bellhousing (where the trans and engine come together). The same spot a leaking rear main seal would leak. The coolant is not coming from above as orginally suspected "valley pan". Not sure if it's good news or not, now the trans has to come out and the flywheel comes off to repair the leaking coolant plate at the rear of the engine block. Will install new flex disc and rear main seal at the same time.

I've had the car for just over 5 years, and currently have 120K on the odo. The car has been expensive to keep up since out of BMW's extended war, almost 2 years ago. I would guess $3K per year since out of war. However the car still drives better than any other new car I have driven, execpt maybe a new F01.
Advertisement
Old 10-08-2012, 05:50 PM
SideShow activist

Mein Auto: 745Li
That sucks to hear

How much are you looking at in repairs for this?

Current Lineup:
BMW E31: Air suspension,19x10 / 19x11 Trafficstar
BMWE38:Air suspension,20x10 / 20x12 Forgiato
BMWE65: 22x10 / 22x11 Asanti ELT
Lexus SC400: Single turbo, 19" SRR wheels
Lexus GS300: VIP , Air Suspension,19" WORK wheels
S13 Silvia: WideBody, JDM conversion,SR20det,15" WORK wheels
Lexus LS430 UL:Air Suspension, 20"MAYA DLS

Old 10-08-2012, 06:10 PM

Mein Auto: 04 745li
Bust out another thousand!
Old 12-21-2012, 07:48 PM

Mein Auto: 2002 745LI
occry, did it turn out to be the "coolant plate at the rear of the engine block"? I have found my leak today in the same spot you described. I could watch it dripping inside the bell housing.
Old 12-22-2012, 07:58 AM

Mein Auto: 745i
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7ELEVEN View Post
occry, did it turn out to be the "coolant plate at the rear of the engine block"? I have found my leak today in the same spot you described. I could watch it dripping inside the bell housing.
I had my lower valley pan replaced recently do to a leak. indy charged $800. I think this is the pan you are referring to. Good luck.
Old 12-22-2012, 11:15 AM

Mein Auto: 2002 745LI
I believe I found my problem and the one that OCCRY was referring to. Within the bell housing on the back of the engine block there is a fluid passageway. It has a cover with a molded in rubber gasket. That gasket goes bad and leaks inside the bell housing.

See this diagram at realoem.com it is item #5
http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...51&hg=11&fg=10

The video on this page is how I figured it out.
http://www.bmpdesign.com/technical/c...62_Engines.php

Notice that if you were to have a valley pan gasket leaking in the rear of the engine it would leak above the bell housing. The leak would run down and around the outside of the bell housing.

Time to start getting ready to pull the transmission!