Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)

X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)
E70 BMW X5 produced between 2007 and 2013. Discuss the E70 X5 with other BMW owners here.

Old 10-24-2012, 08:02 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: BMW X5 35d
Quote:
Originally Posted by z51vette View Post
I actually, did not come up with this word. It was another member here that mentioned it, I forget which thread about AD. His description exactly fit what I experienced driving the cars with AD.

I can describe it like this. When you are on slightly uneven pavement, it feels like the car is somewhat disconnected from the road, like you are operating it through an interface with a damper between you and the road. You still feel all the bumps, but it seems like a sensation you would get in a boat. I should know, because I fish a lot and I'm very sensitive to seas. There is an ever so slight but very pronounced side to side and front to back motion when the system is working at reducing impact harshness. Mind you the bigger impacts still come through because the system firms up on them so you don't rock or bottom out but the slight undulations and someone mentioned, concrete pavement, it just sends it to this "floaty" state. Sort of like your shocks are shot, for a short moment. It's a sensation that I find unbearable. I think the AD system in the X5 is showing it's age. I drove an X3 with EDC, and it was completely lacking this feeling while still working very well to soften the ride in Comfort mode.
The side to side motion was exactly what I felt driving on a stretch of freeway 85 in bay area. I only noticed this on concrete road. :thumbed: overall I still like adaptive drive because I drive on tarmac much more.

I will play round with tire pressure to see if this help since it could be tires. I have michellen 18".

Old 10-25-2012, 06:33 PM
Bimmin in Bavaria

Mein Auto: 2013 BMW X5
My X5 vernacular is still adolescent, but I'm assuming AD is AdaptiveDrive. Does this differ from XDrive? Curious what differences there are, and if the 2013 50i msprt/mperf comes with a similar system, neither, or something different altogether...? I've gotta say there is no shortag of BMW whiz-kids on this forum...the threads are chock with great content! Thnx.
Old 10-25-2012, 08:14 PM

Adaptive Drive combines active suspension using dynamic dampers and active anti-roll bar. It supposed to be able to provide a sporty drive and ride comfort. As for active anti-roll bar, it flattens the corner.

Last edited by henrycyao; 10-25-2012 at 08:17 PM. Reason: Fix Youtube link
Old 10-25-2012, 11:15 PM
Resident Curmudgeon

Mein Auto: '12 X5 35d/E39M5/996TTX50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobra6x5 View Post
My X5 vernacular is still adolescent, but I'm assuming AD is AdaptiveDrive. Does this differ from XDrive? Curious what differences there are, and if the 2013 50i msprt/mperf comes with a similar system, neither, or something different altogether...? I've gotta say there is no shortag of BMW whiz-kids on this forum...the threads are chock with great content! Thnx.
Can I suggest you figure out how to use the button that the red arrow is pointing at?

Very helpful.

A
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	search button.jpg
Views:	307
Size:	22.5 KB
ID:	347434  
Old 10-26-2012, 08:40 AM
Bimmin in Bavaria

Mein Auto: 2013 BMW X5
D-bag, much?
Old 10-26-2012, 09:34 AM
Resident Curmudgeon

Haha.

If you weren't so pathetic, I might be offended.

But given our relative contributions, I sure hope these two posts stand as the members will surely get a chuckle.

Last edited by ard; 10-26-2012 at 10:30 AM.
Old 10-26-2012, 11:54 AM

Mein Auto: 2009 X5 4.8
Quote:
Originally Posted by z51vette View Post
I actually, did not come up with this word. It was another member here that mentioned it, I forget which thread about AD. His description exactly fit what I experienced driving the cars with AD.

I can describe it like this. When you are on slightly uneven pavement, it feels like the car is somewhat disconnected from the road, like you are operating it through an interface with a damper between you and the road. You still feel all the bumps, but it seems like a sensation you would get in a boat. I should know, because I fish a lot and I'm very sensitive to seas. There is an ever so slight but very pronounced side to side and front to back motion when the system is working at reducing impact harshness. Mind you the bigger impacts still come through because the system firms up on them so you don't rock or bottom out but the slight undulations and someone mentioned, concrete pavement, it just sends it to this "floaty" state. Sort of like your shocks are shot, for a short moment. It's a sensation that I find unbearable. I think the AD system in the X5 is showing it's age. I drove an X3 with EDC, and it was completely lacking this feeling while still working very well to soften the ride in Comfort mode.
I just purchased a used 2009 X5 4.8 .... it has that 'floaty' feeling for sure. My girlfriend gets nauseous after driving in it any longer than a half hour. The ride is light years away (worse) from the ride of my former 2003 X5 3.0 My 2009 has the Sports Pkg. with sport suspension, and 19" wheels/tires non-staggered. I feel like I'm constantly fighting the steering wheel. I'm taking it to a Bmw dealer on Tues. to have them check the suspension ... but I'm not sure if this rig has the AD, Dynamic Drive, Variable Damper Control, Self-Levelling Suspension, and all those goodies ... not sure what's standard what isn't?? The original vehicle supposedly came with 20" staggerds and I'm wondering if the suspension set-up is specific to the 20's" ??

Hate to sound so 'duh' but this is my 4th bimmer (528, 330i, X5 3.0) and this '09 X5 4.8 is a totally different in terms of that famous BMW feel and ride (handling) ...
Old 10-26-2012, 12:33 PM
2 Bimmers R better than 1

Mein Auto: 12 MSPT 535 & MSPT X5 5.0
Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flogger11 View Post
I just purchased a used 2009 X5 4.8 .... it has that 'floaty' feeling for sure. My girlfriend gets nauseous after driving in it any longer than a half hour. The ride is light years away (worse) from the ride of my former 2003 X5 3.0 My 2009 has the Sports Pkg. with sport suspension, and 19" wheels/tires non-staggered. I feel like I'm constantly fighting the steering wheel. I'm taking it to a Bmw dealer on Tues. to have them check the suspension ... but I'm not sure if this rig has the AD, Dynamic Drive, Variable Damper Control, Self-Levelling Suspension, and all those goodies ... not sure what's standard what isn't?? The original vehicle supposedly came with 20" staggerds and I'm wondering if the suspension set-up is specific to the 20's" ??

Hate to sound so 'duh' but this is my 4th bimmer (528, 330i, X5 3.0) and this '09 X5 4.8 is a totally different in terms of that famous BMW feel and ride (handling) ...
Yikes for you!
Sorry to hear that
My experience was exactly the same as yours on
A test drive
If its the Msport edition
It does have adaptive drive
I literally felt like the car was possessed and fighting me as well
You would have to have driven this vehicle like u and I both have to know the feeling
In contrary I have driven an 11 msport and I handles beautifully
Completely different than the 09
No floaty feeling
Like it was on rails without the tight steering feel

If ur not happy trade it in or see if that same dealer can work with you so u don't get hit that hard. Let them know u just hate the vehicle!
Good luck
Rob

2012 Msport X5 +Prem Sound+Cold Weather+Top/Side Cameras+Soft Close Doors+BMW Apps
Old 10-26-2012, 12:35 PM
Resident Curmudgeon

WHAT ARE THE ALIGNMENT NUMBERS???????????????

Dont just have the dealer "check"...TELL them where to SET it.

Also, what tires? how worn?

Finally the tires/wheels should not matter. Although IF you bring it up the dealer will use it as an excuse. IMO. There I go dealer bashing again...

A

PS the 2009 "sport" pkg DID include AD
Old 10-26-2012, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ard View Post
WHAT ARE THE ALIGNMENT NUMBERS???????????????

Dont just have the dealer "check"...TELL them where to SET it.

Also, what tires? how worn?

Finally the tires/wheels should not matter. Although IF you bring it up the dealer will use it as an excuse. IMO. There I go dealer bashing again...

A

PS the 2009 "sport" pkg DID include AD
Tires are Michelin Latitude 19". 1/3 worn. Thanks re: sport pkg. includes AD.

Hard to believe a bimmer floats like this. I guess it could be a result of lots of things ... sway bar, etc.
Old 10-26-2012, 02:54 PM
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Tires are Michelin Latitude 19". 1/3 worn. Thanks re: sport pkg. includes AD.

Hard to believe a bimmer floats like this. I guess it could be my alignment ....
Good tires, my vote check the alignment.

GL

A
Old 10-26-2012, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Good tires, my vote check the alignment.

GL

A
Runs straight as an arrow on straight, flat surface. Tramlines on rutted roads though ... as most vehicles will. Taking it dealer on Tues ... frustrating. Front handles well, the back half floats, drifts, rolls somewhat. Process of elimination ...
Old 10-26-2012, 04:25 PM
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Runs straight as an arrow on straight, flat surface. Tramlines on rutted roads though ... as most vehicles will. Taking it dealer on Tues ... frustrating. Front handles well, the back half floats, drifts, rolls somewhat. Process of elimination ...
The whole 'runs straight' or 'pulls' concept is 30 years out of date....

Like I said, get it checked and SET it to proper values. If you fail to tell the dealer where you want it set, you will pay $hundreds and get a weak "its in spec" reply. At the least, get the ACTUAL numbers.

GL

A
Old 10-27-2012, 10:33 AM

Quote:
The whole 'runs straight' or 'pulls' concept is 30 years out of date....

Like I said, get it checked and SET it to proper values. If you fail to tell the dealer where you want it set, you will pay $hundreds and get a weak "its in spec" reply. At the least, get the ACTUAL numbers.

GL

A
I'm not too mechanically inclined and not a tech obviously. How do I know 'where I want it set'? It's Greek to me ...
Old 10-27-2012, 11:32 AM
Resident Curmudgeon

You search the forum for posts regarding 'alignment'. And 'specs'.
Old 10-27-2012, 11:35 AM

Quote:
You search the forum for posts regarding 'alignment'. And 'specs'.
I'll take that under advisement. Thanks for your input.
Old 10-28-2012, 09:41 PM

I just want to report back on my experience of rocking motion in X5 + AD on concrete freeways.

I was not able to drive on the same stretch of freeway 85 when I felt the back and forth rocking motion in the car. On Friday night, I was able to feel on 280 near down town San Jose. Once I sense the rocking sensation, I switch over to Sport mode and it is completely gone.

So, I now know for certain that the algorithm probably got into an oscillation on certain road condition and I have a reasonable work around. Sport mode is still pretty darn comfortable for roads around where I travel. Actually, I am beginning to wonder if they should offer a sport+ mode assuming it gives me a better handling. The best part is that BMW X5 remembers my sport mode setting

I believe watrob is right. The tire should make a difference since it is part of the feedback mechanism.

Incidentally, I got a survey email today. On what to improve comment box, I left my two cents on engine, voice command, small buttons, and adaptive drive. Hopefully, somebody will read it and get it to engineering where they can do something about these little quirks.

Old 10-28-2012, 09:45 PM

Mein Auto: 2005 x5 4.4, 2010 M3 conv
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kar Don View Post
Brand new X5d, 19 inch michelin OEM RFT, Self level air suspension, Adaptive drive. Ride quality is absolutely stellar. Rolls over broken pavement extremely smoothly without tossing your head, and driving on smooth pavement literally feels like you are driving on glass. I am very impressed with the adaptive drive system and couldn't imagine getting an X5 without it. I really wasn't buying into it after I saw people say it was floaty, etc, but I am really blown away with how good the ride quality is.

And yes I had to make a new thread.
Suspension, steering is ****ty without it but cost was humongous 3K;(
I am pissed off at BMW the way they have revised their packages trying to rip off with separate sports, adaptive, technology, and then different for gasoline and Diesel engines;(
Old 10-28-2012, 10:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zibawala View Post
Suspension, steering is ****ty without it but cost was humongous 3K;(
I am pissed off at BMW the way they have revised their packages trying to rip off with separate sports, adaptive, technology, and then different for gasoline and Diesel engines;(
I personally believe that active suspension should be part of standard features. While I was researching my next car, I was looking at Lincoln MKZ. It includes adaptive suspension (Lincoln Drive Contrl) as part of standard package. The active anti-roll bar would be nice to be standard, but I suspect that is one expensive technology.

From what I read, the next version of X5 is designed to be shared platform which allowed them to reduced cost. If that is the case, I am hoping they would add more standard package to improve their competitiveness and appeal.

Old 10-28-2012, 10:02 PM

Mein Auto: X5M 50d
Quote:
Originally Posted by henrycyao View Post
I just want to report back on my experience of rocking motion in X5 + AD on concrete freeways.

I was not able to drive on the same stretch of freeway 85 when I felt the back and forth rocking motion in the car. On Friday night, I was able to feel on 280 near down town San Jose. Once I sense the rocking sensation, I switch over to Sport mode and it is completely gone.

So, I now know for certain that the algorithm probably got into an oscillation on certain road condition and I have a reasonable work around. Sport mode is still pretty darn comfortable for roads around where I travel. Actually, I am beginning to wonder if they should offer a sport+ mode assuming it gives me a better handling. The best part is that BMW X5 remembers my sport mode setting

I believe watrob is right. The tire should make a difference since it is part of the feedback mechanism.

Incidentally, I got a survey email today. On what to improve comment box, I left my two cents on engine, voice command, small buttons, and adaptive drive. Hopefully, somebody will read it and get it to engineering where they can do something about these little quirks.

Pump your front tyres up to 48lbs & rears to 46lbs, Also the M50d has siffer bush sets and I also changed the front main bushes myself as well.
X5 M50d White, 20"rims, Adaptive Drive, HUD, Xenon Adapt Lights, Rear/Side Camera, Sunroof, Auto Tailgate, Comfort Access, Active Perforated Ventilated Comfort Seats, M Paddle Shift, Active Crus, Stop/Go, Proff Nav + TV, DAB, 16 Spk Ind HiFi, USB, Internet, Apps, 4 Zone Air, Towbar 20% Tint, 5mm Castor Bushes, Yellow Calipers, Ceramic Pads
Old 10-29-2012, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by watrob View Post
Pump your front tyres up to 48lbs & rears to 46lbs, Also the M50d has siffer bush sets and I also changed the front main bushes myself as well.
I checked my tire. It is max at 50 psi. Isn't 48 kinda close max psi?

Sent from my LG-P999 using Bimmer App