Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E46 (1999 - 2006)

E46 (1999 - 2006)
The fourth generation 3 Series (E46 chassis) was introduced in 1999 and set the standard for engineering and performance during it's years of production including being named to Car & Driver's 10 best list every one of those years! ! -- View the E46 Wiki

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 10-08-2012, 05:45 PM
iskoos's Avatar
iskoos iskoos is online now
Coupe OR Never
Location: Orlando, FL
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 1,347
Mein Auto: '02 - 325ci
Yesterday it started missing BADLY; What would you DO before hitting the shop?

2002 Automatic 325 Ci @ 85k miles...

I was out of town for 3 months. The car was in the garage during this time and it never cranked up.
I charged the battery and started it up yesterday, engine sputtered a bit at first (should be normal after 3 months); held down the gas for about 10-15 seconds at 1000 rpm and it picked up.
I drove the car right after that. It drove fine for about 25 miles and then all of a sudden started missing badly. I barely made it home (was about 3 miles out when it started).

It misses badly at idle and throughout the speed range. I almost feel no power in the car. It was as if 184 hp motor became 30 hp. Acceleration after a stop is terrible. Tried to floor it a few times, engine sputtered so bad. It didn't help at all.

My code reader says: P0171, P0174 and P0313 (Cyl#3 misfire with low fuel)

P0171 and P0174 were there for a long long time. They have been coming and going occasionally. I checked many things for those codes but couldn't find the exact cause. Though I never felt any difference in the car the whole time. Engine was running okay, the car was driving fine...

P0313 is the new code. It says cyl #3 misfires due to low fuel but the gas tank is full. Plus it feels like more than one cylinder misses.

I will have to take the car to a repair shop tomorrow in the afternoon most likely. Meanwhile, if you could give me some suggestion, I would take it...

In this limited time, here is what I checked:

-Checked the intake boots. No crack or torn part. I wouldn't expect to see because both of them replaced a few years ago during maintenance.

-Removed and cleaned the MAF.

-Removed the #3 spark plug. It seemed just fine. No crack on the ceramic body and the tips were very clean.

I know it could be many many things but if you know any component that I should check, I would do it with a heart beat...

Hard for me to believe that this happened because the car sat for 3 months w/o running.

Thanks in advance...

Last edited by iskoos; 10-08-2012 at 05:46 PM.
Reply With Quote
Advertisement
  #2  
Old 10-08-2012, 05:48 PM
MalibuMafiaV's Avatar
MalibuMafiaV MalibuMafiaV is offline
L4P
Location: Malibu, CA
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 11,539
Send a message via AIM to MalibuMafiaV
Mein Auto: E60 M5 & Stage 3 Audi S4
Switch your ignition coil from another cylinder and see if it misfires on #3 or the cylinder you switched the coil from.
__________________
http://www.luxury4play.com
BMW 2006 M5 - REALLY LOUD
Audi S4 2000 Stage 3 - Dat turbo spool
BMW 2000 3-series - Supercharged Because race car SOLD
Maserati 2004 M128 GT - HREs/tint/straight piped SOLD
BMW 2006 M3 - stock - SOLD
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 10-08-2012, 05:56 PM
smolck's Avatar
smolck smolck is online now
ROLL TIDE!
Location: Birmingham, AL
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 22,348
Mein Auto: 2004 ZHP Sedan
Yea, Mal is on the track I'd be on too. Sounds like a bad coil.
__________________

Check out my YouTube Channel for DIY's and other fun stuff HERE
Check out my BMWBLOG!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fast Bob View Post
now, go burn your Man Card, and buy yourself a Camry....
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 10-08-2012, 06:02 PM
iskoos's Avatar
iskoos iskoos is online now
Coupe OR Never
Location: Orlando, FL
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 1,347
Mein Auto: '02 - 325ci
I liked that IDEA guys!!!!

I knew you guys would come up with something to try but wasn't expecting something this simple to do...

Will do it first thing in the morning and report back...
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 10-08-2012, 06:21 PM
MalibuMafiaV's Avatar
MalibuMafiaV MalibuMafiaV is offline
L4P
Location: Malibu, CA
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 11,539
Send a message via AIM to MalibuMafiaV
Mein Auto: E60 M5 & Stage 3 Audi S4
Quote:
Originally Posted by iskoos View Post
I liked that IDEA guys!!!!

I knew you guys would come up with something to try but wasn't expecting something this simple to do...

Will do it first thing in the morning and report back...
let us know.
__________________
http://www.luxury4play.com
BMW 2006 M5 - REALLY LOUD
Audi S4 2000 Stage 3 - Dat turbo spool
BMW 2000 3-series - Supercharged Because race car SOLD
Maserati 2004 M128 GT - HREs/tint/straight piped SOLD
BMW 2006 M3 - stock - SOLD
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 10-09-2012, 08:15 AM
iskoos's Avatar
iskoos iskoos is online now
Coupe OR Never
Location: Orlando, FL
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 1,347
Mein Auto: '02 - 325ci
Mal, Smolck,

I did the test. Bingo!.. Misfire code follows the coil. I did it on two other cylinders and everytime it followed. Though I gave a wrong info in my original post. It shouldn't matter much but I would like to correct it.
The problem coil is the one on Cylinder#1 NOT #3 and the associated code is P1343 (Cyl#1 Misfire with fuel cutoff) NOT the P0313 misfire with low fuel. The misfire code (P0313) for cyle#3 is unrelated to this incident and probably was in the DME for a long time and I forgot to clear it. When I pulled the codes yesterday it showed both P0313 and P1343. I thought the P1343 wasn't related because my scanner was saying "Manufac. Specific Powertrain Code" I should have searched for it. My bad...
This morning, I swapped the coils between #1 and #3, then I got P1347 (Cyl#3 misfire with fuel cutoff) because I moved the bad coil from #1 to #3.
Then I repeated the test once again. This time I moved the bad coil to #2 and I got P1345...

Now, I am thinking I found the problem with your guidence.

I checked the Autohausaz for the coils and they have 2 brands:

http://www.autohausaz.com/search/pro...gnition%20Coil

Should I buy the expensive one? And I do not need to replace all of them as the note at the bottom of URO says right?

Last edited by iskoos; 10-09-2012 at 04:35 PM. Reason: typo
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 10-09-2012, 09:27 AM
smolck's Avatar
smolck smolck is online now
ROLL TIDE!
Location: Birmingham, AL
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 22,348
Mein Auto: 2004 ZHP Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by iskoos View Post
Mal, Smolck,

I did the test. Bingo!.. Misfire code follows the coil. I did it on two other cylinders and everytime it followed. Though I gave a wrong info in my original post. It shouldn't matter much but I would like to correct it.
The problem coil is the one on Cylinder#1 NOT #3 and the associated code is P1343 (Cyl#1 Misfire with fuel cutoff) NOT the P0313 misfire with low fuel. The misfire code (P0313) for cyle#3 is unrelated to this incident and probably was in the DME for a long time and I forgot to clear it. When I pulled the codes yesterday it showed both P0313 and P1343. I thought the P1343 wasn't related because my scanner was saying "Manufac. Specific Power Terrain Code" I should have searched for it. My bad...
This morning, I swapped the coils between #1 and #3, then I got P1347 (Cyl#3 misfire with fuel cutoff) because I moved the bad coil from #1 to #3.
Then I repeated the test once again. This time I moved to coil to #2 and I got P1345...

Now, I am thinking I found the problem with your guidence.

I checked the Autohausaz for the coils and they have 2 brands:

http://www.autohausaz.com/search/pro...gnition%20Coil

Should I buy the expensive one? And I do not need to replace all of them as the note at the bottom of URO says right?
I can get you a used one for 25 bucks. Thats what I do
__________________

Check out my YouTube Channel for DIY's and other fun stuff HERE
Check out my BMWBLOG!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fast Bob View Post
now, go burn your Man Card, and buy yourself a Camry....
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 10-09-2012, 09:40 AM
MalibuMafiaV's Avatar
MalibuMafiaV MalibuMafiaV is offline
L4P
Location: Malibu, CA
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 11,539
Send a message via AIM to MalibuMafiaV
Mein Auto: E60 M5 & Stage 3 Audi S4
Quote:
Originally Posted by iskoos View Post
Mal, Smolck,

I did the test. Bingo!.. Misfire code follows the coil. I did it on two other cylinders and everytime it followed. Though I gave a wrong info in my original post. It shouldn't matter much but I would like to correct it.
The problem coil is the one on Cylinder#1 NOT #3 and the associated code is P1343 (Cyl#1 Misfire with fuel cutoff) NOT the P0313 misfire with low fuel. The misfire code (P0313) for cyle#3 is unrelated to this incident and probably was in the DME for a long time and I forgot to clear it. When I pulled the codes yesterday it showed both P0313 and P1343. I thought the P1343 wasn't related because my scanner was saying "Manufac. Specific Power Terrain Code" I should have searched for it. My bad...
This morning, I swapped the coils between #1 and #3, then I got P1347 (Cyl#3 misfire with fuel cutoff) because I moved the bad coil from #1 to #3.
Then I repeated the test once again. This time I moved to coil to #2 and I got P1345...

Now, I am thinking I found the problem with your guidence.

I checked the Autohausaz for the coils and they have 2 brands:

http://www.autohausaz.com/search/pro...gnition%20Coil

Should I buy the expensive one? And I do not need to replace all of them as the note at the bottom of URO says right?
I would buy bosch coils from oembimmerparts.com I bought all new coils when I put my SC on. They are expensive BUT the good thing about coils is they either work or they dont. So technically your ok just changing out the one with the issue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by smolck View Post
I can get you a used one for 25 bucks. Thats what I do
$25s! that's not bad at all.
__________________
http://www.luxury4play.com
BMW 2006 M5 - REALLY LOUD
Audi S4 2000 Stage 3 - Dat turbo spool
BMW 2000 3-series - Supercharged Because race car SOLD
Maserati 2004 M128 GT - HREs/tint/straight piped SOLD
BMW 2006 M3 - stock - SOLD
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 10-09-2012, 10:05 AM
iskoos's Avatar
iskoos iskoos is online now
Coupe OR Never
Location: Orlando, FL
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 1,347
Mein Auto: '02 - 325ci
$25 is definitely a deal but I talked to someone and he told me about a store in Orlando. I will check with them and see what they have.
If I order one, I will have to wait several days. I am currently grounded. The car is NOT driveable...

Smolck if I want yours, could you do USPS priority mail by the end of today? With that I will have it Thursday. But I will still try the store in Orlando first...

I will let you guys know...
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 10-09-2012, 01:55 PM
iskoos's Avatar
iskoos iskoos is online now
Coupe OR Never
Location: Orlando, FL
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 1,347
Mein Auto: '02 - 325ci
Well I checked the local stores and bremi/OEM is $75 each. As much as I like saving money by ordering it from Autohaus (or even better from smolck), I unfortunately can't afford to get grounded a few more days. So I had a friend purchase one for me from a local autopart store...

I will install it tonight and let you guys know. Hopefully it will be the fix...
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 10-09-2012, 04:31 PM
iskoos's Avatar
iskoos iskoos is online now
Coupe OR Never
Location: Orlando, FL
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 1,347
Mein Auto: '02 - 325ci
Okay guys Thank you. It's been fixed. The Bremi coil came w/o a boot. It was showing it clearly on the website that it didn't have a boot but I didn't pay attention. It worried me a bit to remove and use the old boot from the defective coil but I had no other choice at the time being. I transferred the boot to the new coil and installed it.
Car started up immediately. I got a few hesitation at first but I generally have that at each cold start. After warming up the motor, it all went away. I test drove the car in the neighborhood and it drives just fine.

Thank you so much Mal and Smolck. You guys saved me tons of money

Now the question is considering the age of the car, are the other coils in the queue to fail?
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 10-09-2012, 04:36 PM
MalibuMafiaV's Avatar
MalibuMafiaV MalibuMafiaV is offline
L4P
Location: Malibu, CA
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 11,539
Send a message via AIM to MalibuMafiaV
Mein Auto: E60 M5 & Stage 3 Audi S4
Quote:
Originally Posted by iskoos View Post
Okay guys Thank you. It's been fixed. The Bremi coil came w/o a boot. It was showing it clearly on the website that it didn't have a boot but I didn't pay attention. It worried me a bit to remove and use the old boot from the defective coil but I had no other choice at the time being. I transferred the boot to the new coil and installed it.
Car started up immediately. I got a few hesitation at first but I generally have that at each cold start. After warming up the motor, it all went away. I test drove the car in the neighborhood and it drives just fine.

Thank you so much Mal and Smolck. You guys saved me tons of money

Now the question is considering the age of the car, are the other coils in the queue to fail?
No problem man! glad to help. Just replace each coil as they go bad. Like I said above they either work or they dont. When you say your car has hesitation at first when cold on startup it sounds like you need to do your vanos seals.
__________________
http://www.luxury4play.com
BMW 2006 M5 - REALLY LOUD
Audi S4 2000 Stage 3 - Dat turbo spool
BMW 2000 3-series - Supercharged Because race car SOLD
Maserati 2004 M128 GT - HREs/tint/straight piped SOLD
BMW 2006 M3 - stock - SOLD
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 10-09-2012, 05:17 PM
iskoos's Avatar
iskoos iskoos is online now
Coupe OR Never
Location: Orlando, FL
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 1,347
Mein Auto: '02 - 325ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by MalibuMafiaV View Post
No problem man! glad to help. Just replace each coil as they go bad. Like I said above they either work or they dont. When you say your car has hesitation at first when cold on startup it sounds like you need to do your vanos seals.
Yes, I am pretty sure it is the Vanos seals. I have been wanting to do that job since 2009 (I think) and many times I watched the tutorials and got myself ready for it; though I never started.
I had an old spare car for years and with that car working, I would tackle DIYs much easier. After that car stopped running (auto tranny), I am not as willing to perform DIYs anymore.

Maybe one day when Smolck retires from his job and decides to setup his mobile repair van and hits the roads, I will let him do my Vanos seals
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 10-09-2012, 05:49 PM
MalibuMafiaV's Avatar
MalibuMafiaV MalibuMafiaV is offline
L4P
Location: Malibu, CA
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 11,539
Send a message via AIM to MalibuMafiaV
Mein Auto: E60 M5 & Stage 3 Audi S4
Quote:
Originally Posted by iskoos View Post
Yes, I am pretty sure it is the Vanos seals. I have been wanting to do that job since 2009 (I think) and many times I watched the tutorials and got myself ready for it; though I never started.
I had an old spare car for years and with that car working, I would tackle DIYs much easier. After that car stopped running (auto tranny), I am not as willing to perform DIYs anymore.

Maybe one day when Smolck retires from his job and decides to setup his mobile repair van and hits the roads, I will let him do my Vanos seals
Lol. Actually I'm pretty sure Smolck can send you a completely rebuilt unit and you just send him your old one as core charge and pay a little extra for the seals.
__________________
http://www.luxury4play.com
BMW 2006 M5 - REALLY LOUD
Audi S4 2000 Stage 3 - Dat turbo spool
BMW 2000 3-series - Supercharged Because race car SOLD
Maserati 2004 M128 GT - HREs/tint/straight piped SOLD
BMW 2006 M3 - stock - SOLD
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks


Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E46 (1999 - 2006)
Today's Posts Search
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On



Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 12:02 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
© 2001-2011 performanceIX, Inc. All Rights Reserved .: guidelines .:. privacy .:. terms