Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E46 (1999 - 2006)

E46 (1999 - 2006)
The fourth generation 3 Series (E46 chassis) was introduced in 1999 and set the standard for engineering and performance during it's years of production including being named to Car & Driver's 10 best list every one of those years! ! -- View the E46 Wiki

Old 10-10-2012, 06:48 AM

Mein Auto: 325i
Question Inspection II - 2005 E46

I had the required Inspection 2 performed on my car in 2010 @ 60,364 miles. In September of this year, I was told I was due for the Inspection 2 (90,346 miles). Is this normal to have that Inspection performed at approximately every 30,000 miles? I'm just asking.
Advertisement
Old 10-10-2012, 07:02 AM
ROLL TIDE!

Mein Auto: 2004 ZHP Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sivieann View Post
I had the required Inspection 2 performed on my car in 2010 @ 60,364 miles. In September of this year, I was told I was due for the Inspection 2 (90,346 miles). Is this normal to have that Inspection performed at approximately every 30,000 miles? I'm just asking.
BMW's "Inspections" are nothing more than a revenue generation machine for the dealer and you get nailed in the process. DO NOT pay one more dime for any inspections! It would be more productive to ask your SA to kick you in the balls and then throw $500 into the street.

To answer your question, yes, "Inspection 2" is a 30k mile thing, but as I have said, totally worthless.

Check out my YouTube Channel for DIY's and other fun stuff HERE
Check out my BMWBLOG!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fast Bob View Post
now, go burn your Man Card, and buy yourself a Camry....
Old 10-10-2012, 07:55 AM
ZHP = Patlabor

Mein Auto: Mini Clubmn,Odyssey,Miata
If you go by the old BMW maintenance schedule Inspection II is every 30K.

For our E46, Inspection II is every 60K miles with Inspection I every 30K miles. I've followed this schedule for my ZHP for the past 4 years after 80K miles without any issues. At 90K your next service is just an Inspection I, which is basically an oil change, filter changes, then all the standard checks throughout the whole E46.
Old 10-10-2012, 08:40 AM
Instructor of the Stig™

Mein Auto: Hover Car on Wheels
Rule of thumb is every 30 - 40k you take care of "inspection 2" it's not much more than an oil change, new plugs, diff fluid change, and new filters all around. When taking the car to a shop or dealer they are also going to do a "point inspection" aka go over the car and look for things that are obviously wrong, some shops will hook it up to a diagnostic computer and search for stored codes, etc. If you want to DIY your inspection two I have some kits which will help give you an idea of what you need to insure you take care of (LINK).

Have questions? Need answers? Live Chat us! 8:30am to 12:00am Midnight EST
sales@ecstuning.com | customerservice@ecstuning.com
Customer Service Hours: M - F 8:00am - 8:00pm EST | Saturday: 10:00am - 7:00pm EST
Sales Team Hours: M - F 8:00am - 11:00pm EST | Saturday: 10:00am - 7:00pm EST
800.924.5172 | OEM BMW Part Number Search
Do you love surveys? Click HERE to take our Customer Satisfaction Survey!
Old 10-10-2012, 08:50 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: BMW e46 1,9l M43
I don't care about those really. I check many things myself quite often, because i'm interested in what's going on in my car.

Here in Finland we have mandatory inspection once a year anyway, where officer check if car is in good safe condition.
Car got to pass for staying legal, and in my case i needed new rear brakes before it was satisfactory.

(control arms i knew to change already before, those would have been sure fail)