Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 6 Series

6 Series
The BMW 6 Series builds on BMW's sporty heritage with aggressive lines and an incredible motor to back the design up. Available in coupe and convertible trims with a standard 4.8 liter engine producing 360 horsepower and 360 lb-ft of torque, the 6-series is a popular choice that exceeds expectations.

Old 10-08-2012, 09:31 PM

Mein Auto: 2008 E64
Use a Front Tire as Spare?

Hi guys, I am a BMW newbie, I have a 2008 E64 and want to switch out of RFTs.
Thinking about getting hold of an extra front wheel+tire, and use it a spare.
Does anyone know if this would work?
Specifically - if I had a flat on the rear (which I think is more likely) can a front spec tire go on the rear for a short 5 - 6 mile trip to the tire shop?

I have the 19inch wheels.
Rear Tires - 275/35/R19
Front - 245/40/R19
Rolling Diameter - about 25-26 inches

Last edited by BMWNooB_E64; 10-08-2012 at 10:01 PM.
Ads by Google
Old 10-08-2012, 10:34 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2014 528i + 2007 650 Vert
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWNooB_E64 View Post
Hi guys, I am a BMW newbie, I have a 2008 E64 and want to switch out of RFTs.
Thinking about getting hold of an extra front wheel+tire, and use it a spare.
Does anyone know if this would work?
Specifically - if I had a flat on the rear (which I think is more likely) can a front spec tire go on the rear for a short 5 - 6 mile trip to the tire shop?

I have the 19inch wheels.
Rear Tires - 275/35/R19
Front - 245/40/R19
Rolling Diameter - about 25-26 inches
I changed for NRFs and it was a great decision for me. I really like the ride much better. I purchased the BMW doughnut spare for about $350. It comes with the tools and a jack. Fits well in the trunk, but I normally carry it only on longer trips. You can search on the forum for info on it. It's good for 50 mi and is a back up only.
Welcome to the club.

I Love LA. It lets me ride in the winter with the top down.
07' E64/Black....14' F10/M-Sport White
Old 10-09-2012, 12:02 AM
Woo Hoo FREE Donuts

Mein Auto: 2004 645Ci Convertible
I always say I'm going to get a spare but never do. The front tire should work fine for just getting home or to a tire shop. Plus if you are "flat prone" it could be reused more than once.
Old 10-09-2012, 01:14 AM
Old School

Mein Auto: E23;E30;E38;E32;E34 +
Non run flats fit RF rims. Tyre size must be correct though. If you wish to change slowly PAIRS can be fitted - get advise on front or rear - until the next PAIR is purchased. Mixed on the same axle is for VERY CONSERVATIVE SHORT RUNS to a repair shop.
Previous:
E21 318i; E30 318i; E32 735iL; E34 535i; E38 730iL; E53 4.4i

Last edited by BMWFatherFigure; 10-09-2012 at 01:16 AM.
Old 10-09-2012, 06:03 AM

Mein Auto: 2006 650 convertible!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWFatherFigure View Post
Non run flats fit RF rims. Tyre size must be correct though. If you wish to change slowly PAIRS can be fitted - get advise on front or rear - until the next PAIR is purchased. Mixed on the same axle is for VERY CONSERVATIVE SHORT RUNS to a repair shop.
Of course it is fine, the narrower front tire will fit on the rear so it is no issue. A spare is what, half the width or less of the front tire, the only dimension that works is the 19" diameter rim. If you can drive on that then you can drive on any 19" tire that fits on the car. On the M6 board users have done the same thing by buying a 7 series tire.

Unless you plan on getting on the track with your front tire spare I don't see how you could ever be in danger? Sometimes this mixing tire stuff gets a bit out of hand, like you say, just normal driving to the tire shop is no big deal.
Old 10-09-2012, 08:17 AM

Thank you guys. Bimmerfest ROCKS. You're all so helpful and knowledgeable!

roseng,
Did you buy the compact spare from BMW or one of the online stores? I called a BMW dealership here in Phoenix,AZ, they declined any compact spare from BMW was available for the car. I guess they try and push the RFT concept and won't do anything outside the book.
Does the e60 compact spare fit the e64?
It looks like its the exact same rim with the 135/80R17 tire at 25.5 in rolling diameter.
Did the spare come with its own lug nuts? or does it go on the wheel with stock lugs.

Sorry for so many questions!

Thanks tampamark, yeah I only plan to use it as a temp spare, someone nearby is selling a 19inch e64 front rim, so I was considering getting that instead of the donut. I just wasnt sure if it would drive the transmission nuts or cause suspension damage or anything like that. I am overthinking this aren't I ? I'll be fine for a short trip I guess
Old 10-09-2012, 09:22 AM
drbbop

Mein Auto: 2006 650i Vert
What shape are your runflats in? You going to sell them?
Old 10-09-2012, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Thank you guys. Bimmerfest ROCKS. You're all so helpful and knowledgeable!

roseng,
Did you buy the compact spare from BMW or one of the online stores? I called a BMW dealership here in Phoenix,AZ, they declined any compact spare from BMW was available for the car. I guess they try and push the RFT concept and won't do anything outside the book.
Does the e60 compact spare fit the e64?
It looks like its the exact same rim with the 135/80R17 tire at 25.5 in rolling diameter.
Did the spare come with its own lug nuts? or does it go on the wheel with stock lugs.

Sorry for so many questions!

Thanks tampamark, yeah I only plan to use it as a temp spare, someone nearby is selling a 19inch e64 front rim, so I was considering getting that instead of the donut. I just wasnt sure if it would drive the transmission nuts or cause suspension damage or anything like that. I am overthinking this aren't I ? I'll be fine for a short trip I guess
Here is the kit, this is a spare tire kit for the 5 (e60) series and is a direct fit. I have one and have tested it. Keep in mind that it does take up quite a bit of room in the trunk since there is not a recessed space to put it in. It does not require different lug nuts, it uses the same as your current wheel. I can tell you that your car will drive like JUNK with this tire on the front. It will pull like a bear to that side having a super tiny little spare on. But it is driveable.

http://www.bimmerzone.com/BMW_Perfor...T-E60-KIT.html

Here is a previous thread regarding the spare, it includes pictures:

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...ighlight=spare

Last edited by tampamark; 10-09-2012 at 09:46 AM.
Old 10-09-2012, 02:52 PM

Thank you again tampamark, thats great info. Appreciate it.

@drbbop - no my runflats are pretty much end of life, I'm changing tires in general as its time to, but chosing to put non RFTs on. I have seen an advt on a popular 'list' website, some one in tempe,az is selling used RFTs with what seems like pretty low treadwear for a bargain. I am inexperienced with tires and RFTs, so I wouldn't be able to comment on their condition even if I physically inspected them.
Old 10-09-2012, 07:27 PM

Mein Auto: 2005 645Ci & 2007 750Li
If you are running the Ellipsoids on your car, just by a spare front rim. This way it will match the rest of the rims. I have some spare front rims if you are interested, for 100.00 each. Shipping would be around 25.00 to 30.00 by FedEx. I also have some older front tires, but this would jack up the shipping cost. Let me know if you are interested.
Old 10-09-2012, 08:01 PM

Mein Auto: 2014 528i + 2007 650 Vert
Quote:
Originally Posted by tampamark View Post
Here is the kit, this is a spare tire kit for the 5 (e60) series and is a direct fit. I have one and have tested it. Keep in mind that it does take up quite a bit of room in the trunk since there is not a recessed space to put it in. It does not require different lug nuts, it uses the same as your current wheel. I can tell you that your car will drive like JUNK with this tire on the front. It will pull like a bear to that side having a super tiny little spare on. But it is driveable.

For an extra $10 or so you can get the cover. You really want to have that.

It is really a 50 mile low speed tire just to get you to some service so you are not stranded.

I really need some trunk space so I like it. I don't know if you have any room at all with a regular tire and wheel.

I Love LA. It lets me ride in the winter with the top down.
07' E64/Black....14' F10/M-Sport White

Last edited by roseng; 10-09-2012 at 08:04 PM.
Old 10-10-2012, 10:11 AM

Thanks HerbP, I might hit you up on that if this local front wheel am looking at doesnt work out, since am more inclined toward that option v/s the compact spare.

So I went checked it out, it is the 19 inch epsilloid style, but it has a 245/45/R19 Tire mounted on it instead of what I have up front - 245/40/R19

My 19 inch front wheels are 19x8.0 right, and rears 19.8.5?? (I am not sure, where can I check on the wheel?)

If the one I checked out came from a 7 series, could it be a 19x8.5? Will a 2008 7 Series wheel work for my car though?
Old 10-10-2012, 06:28 PM

Mein Auto: 2005 645Ci & 2007 750Li
Here is the spec for the style 121 wheels & tires.

Tire Size

245/45/19 for the front.
275/35/19 for the rear

Bolt Pattern- 5x120

Offset- Front 14 Rear 18

Width- Front 19x8.5 Rear 19x9
Old 10-10-2012, 08:50 PM

Mein Auto: '04 M3 / '06 650i Cab
The 7 series has a 24mm offset so you will need 10mm spacers to use a 7 series wheel on a 6 series.

Without the spacer the wheel will probably rub on the strut, to the point where the wheel will not even mount on the hub. The 7 series tires are also a 3.5% taller in diameter so fine for a short trip to the tire shop but I would not drive around on a tire that much taller than stock.

You can use a 6er front wheel on the front or back for an extended period of time. It will just look like crap on the rear but safety-wise it will be fine.
'02 Highlander - kid hauler
'01 330Ci - winter beater

Old 10-11-2012, 04:06 PM

Thank you HerbP & Yorgi, that was really good info
The wheel I was gonna go pickup did indeed turn out to be a 7 series front.

HerbP,
I am out for two weeks, I will most likely hit you up for a front 19incher (wheel only) when am back.
I'll be buying new front tires soon, so will just have one of the old RFTs mounted to the spare.
Old 10-12-2012, 06:48 AM
Supporting Vendor

Mein Auto: E63 650i
Thanks for the mention

to OP: while there is no reason why the front tire (for the 6 series) can't be used in the rear as a spare, the downside is to have the big full size tire taking up room in the trunk

We have some pictures and video of the donut spare on the car
http://www.bimmerzone.com/BMW_Perfor...63E64-KIT.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by tampamark View Post

| Bimmerzone.com | 1-800-357-7797 | info@bimmerzone.com | 831 Lincoln Ave, Suite 3, West Chester PA 19380 |

Video about Bimmerzone: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=me5pjPS88Bw

We are proud to be Authorized Dealers for: Sprint Booster, Peake Research, Eisenmann Exhaust, Hartge, RPI Exhaust, AutoEnginuity, Bentley Publishers, Zymol, P21S, PowerFlex USA, Brembo GT, KW, Hawk and much more!!

Last edited by bimmerzone; 10-12-2012 at 06:50 AM.
Old 10-12-2012, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Thank you HerbP & Yorgi, that was really good info
The wheel I was gonna go pickup did indeed turn out to be a 7 series front.

HerbP,
I am out for two weeks, I will most likely hit you up for a front 19incher (wheel only) when am back.
I'll be buying new front tires soon, so will just have one of the old RFTs mounted to the spare.
Don't forget, you still have to purchase a jack that will fit under the car and a tire iron. You could always carry a long breaker bar and socket.
Old 11-06-2012, 01:55 PM

Thanks all. I bought the bimmerzone spare. They honored the $15 off deal still ! no runflats + spare .. perfect
Old 11-28-2012, 11:27 AM

And the Spare came into play yesterday... Front runflat ran something sharp over, had a big gash on it, un-drivable. Thank god I had the Spare!

fyi, you guys were right, there isnt enough space in the trunk to keep that front wheel w/o stowing the convertible top thing away. So you could technically have a front as spare, but you'd be driving around without the ability to roll that conv. top down.
With the bimmerzone spare tire kit, I was able to put it in the trunk w/o needing to stow the conv. top compartment away + there's enough trunk space for stuff!
Old 11-28-2012, 11:32 AM
Supporting Vendor

Sorry to hear about your tire issue but good to know that you had the spare in the trunk!!

Quote:
And the Spare came into play yesterday... Front runflat ran something sharp over, had a big gash on it, un-drivable. Thank god I had the Spare!

fyi, you guys were right, there isnt enough space in the trunk to keep that front wheel w/o stowing the convertible top thing away. So you could technically have a front as spare, but you'd be driving around without the ability to roll that conv. top down.
With the bimmerzone spare tire kit, I was able to put it in the trunk w/o needing to stow the conv. top compartment away + there's enough trunk space for stuff!

| Bimmerzone.com | 1-800-357-7797 | info@bimmerzone.com | 831 Lincoln Ave, Suite 3, West Chester PA 19380 |

We are proud to be Authorized Dealers for: Sprint Booster, Peake Research, Eisenmann Exhaust, Hartge, RPI Exhaust, AutoEnginuity, Bentley Publishers, Zymol, P21S, PowerFlex USA, Brembo GT, KW, Hawk and much more!!
Old 11-28-2012, 04:29 PM

Quote:

Ha, me too! Determined my rim was cracked over the weekend. My dealer that I prefer, Bert Smith BMW, is 25 miles away and didn't have a loaner available until Tuesday. So I ran the tire over first thing Monday morning so they could get a jump on my claim through my Tire Hazard program. They are too far to drop the car off and get a ride back home, so I decided to wait it out for the loaner.

The spare was very handy, had it on the car so I could meander on over on Tuesday and drop it off for my loaner. Figured while they re-mount the regular tire back on they could get the oil change handled for me. So all and all no worries.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2012-11-27 10.48.13 (Large).jpg
Views:	203
Size:	112.4 KB
ID:	351251  
Old 11-28-2012, 05:09 PM

Mein Auto: 2004 645Ci Convertible
Mobility kit

It is good to hear that there are at least two feasible alternatives to the RFTs (donut & spare front wheel), but if you want to run regular tires, why wouldn't you go with the mobility kit (compressor + can of slime)?

Doesn't it present a much simpler quick fix without the loss of trunk capacity?

I have RFTs and want to understand the options when they eventually need to be replaced.
Old 11-28-2012, 08:42 PM

Mein Auto: '04 M3 / '06 650i Cab
Quote:
Originally Posted by colink View Post
It is good to hear that there are at least two feasible alternatives to the RFTs (donut & spare front wheel), but if you want to run regular tires, why wouldn't you go with the mobility kit (compressor + can of slime)?

I have RFTs and want to understand the options when they eventually need to be replaced.
The slime should be used as a last resort type fix. It makes a huge mess inside the tire and does not always work. If you have a large cut or a gash on the sidewall slime will not help you.

Nothing beats a spare. I am OK with BMW's decision to use runflats across the board, since runflats serve most people well. But BMWs decision to remove the spare tire wheel well under the trunk floor is what I find highly annoying. Now if you want to carry a spare you have to give up 50% of your trunk space.
'02 Highlander - kid hauler
'01 330Ci - winter beater

Old 11-29-2012, 01:41 AM
Supporting Vendor

Agree with Yorgi, atleast give us space under the trunk floor for those who decide to get one

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yorgi View Post
The slime should be used as a last resort type fix. It makes a huge mess inside the tire and does not always work. If you have a large cut or a gash on the sidewall slime will not help you.

Nothing beats a spare. I am OK with BMW's decision to use runflats across the board, since runflats serve most people well. But BMWs decision to remove the spare tire wheel well under the trunk floor is what I find highly annoying. Now if you want to carry a spare you have to give up 50% of your trunk space.

Old 11-29-2012, 06:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by colink View Post

My spare is for the convenience, I don't even keep it in the car unless we are going longer distance. Or, in the case above, for a situation where I needed to take a tire in by itself.