Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E34 (1989 - 1995)

E34 (1989 - 1995)

Old 10-08-2012, 11:14 PM

Mein Auto: 93 525i
Could it be the Air Mass Sensor

Noticed a turbulence in the motor for the past 2 weeks. Thinkin omg do i have a thrown rod or piston or something. Yesterday I take some time to investigate from knowledge from the forums to check my coil packs and plugs.. Pulling each wire from the pack to see if there was a response. No response. I put the valve cover back on. I unhooked the air mass plug and sounded and felt alot better than it did when it was plugged in> could this be the culprit
Advertisement
Old 10-09-2012, 04:54 AM
Banned

Mein Auto: car
You've probably got a bad maf or perhaps a bad o2 sensor. Do the stomp test (google for this, youtube too) and pull the error codes from your car. There should be a relevant error code.

Although, by disconnecting the maf, you've created an error code anyway. So reconnect it, delete all error codes, start the engine and run it for 15-30 minutes, then pull the error codes again. Legitimate codes should have reappeared by then especially if it was the maf or o2 sensor.

You delete error codes by disconnecting the wire harness bus that clamps onto the top of the ecu, and reclamping it 5 minutes later. Or the stomp test has a way to delete codes too.
Old 10-09-2012, 03:17 PM

thanks man
Old 10-09-2012, 03:18 PM

I've grown quite fond on this e34 and would like it to last alot of years.
Old 10-09-2012, 08:39 PM
Banned

Mein Auto: car
Quote:
Originally Posted by 93tillInfinity View Post
I've grown quite fond on this e34 and would like it to last alot of years.
Then there are quite a few things you need to do in terms of anticipatory repair, and a several things that you need to regularly check and maintain.

The fuel pump, its relay, and the crankshaft position sensor. Very important that you swop those out with oem components. They will fail without warning and leave you stranded somewhere.

All the rest that you need or ought to do or be aware of can be found at the sticky threads at the top and some of my other posts.

Please download the soft copy of the Bentley manual and become familiar with it. It is an interesting read considering that our car is approaching classic status (and is certainly a classic in terms of BMWs).