Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > F07 Gran Turismo (2010 - Current)

F07 Gran Turismo (2010 - Current)
The 5 Series Gran Turismo -- now available in the USA as a 535i, 550i and 550i xDrive model.

Old 06-02-2016, 09:19 AM
There is no spoon

Mein Auto: 2010 F07 550i, 2009 B8 A4
New Furball, new need for storage - aka Thule Sonic XL Roof Box purchase review

So almost two months ago we added a second furball to our household. His name is Thor and you can see him with his pal Aureus. He went for his first ride in the GT (the missus had the Audi) last week to go see the vet. Anyway, we decided we will need significantly more floor space for road trips with the second guy already crowding our "old man" in the back of the Audi.

After diligent research into the size and type (and with a month long+ hassle of dealing with freight shipping damaging two boxes) we finally have our Car Top Carrier, the Thule Sonic XL. For anyone needing a frame of reference for size and fit for our GT's I have included photos; the Thule Sonic XL is 90"x34.5"x16" and claims a 17 cubic foot capacity. The positioning seen in these photos are not the final position we will have for the road trip as it can (and will) be set back a few more inches so that we do not see it through the windshield. It is surprisingly quiet as compared with just the bars and magnitudes less noisy than when the bike is attached. Have only driven back and forth to the store to pick it up so can not comment on mpg, but can say it doesn't seem to cause significant drag when coasting so believe it will not adversely affect efficiency (i.e. probably less than 2mpg difference).

Unfortunately, I forgot to take a rear photo. If anyone has interest it can be included.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Aureus_Thor.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	168.5 KB
ID:	565591   Click image for larger version

Name:	GT_Thor.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	71.5 KB
ID:	565592   Click image for larger version

Name:	GT_Thule_Sonic_Profile.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	203.2 KB
ID:	565593   Click image for larger version

Name:	GT_Thule_Sonic_Front.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	151.3 KB
ID:	565594  
Old 06-02-2016, 09:28 AM

Mein Auto: 550i GT
Thanks for the photos. Doesn't look bad at all. Congrats on the furball.

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk
Old 06-02-2016, 02:09 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2014 BMW 535xi GT
What a lovely looking puppy. Congrats on the family addition. His name befits being squired around in a GT.......

Hope you, the missus, and the fur kids are keeping dry down there if the heavy rains are in your neighborhood.
Old 06-02-2016, 05:35 PM

Mein Auto: 535ix-drive GT; i3 BEV
The bigger they are, the more tempting it is to load them up! Just be aware of the load limits on the roof, and after the first 100-miles or so, double-check the fasteners to make sure they're still tight. A bit of blue thread locking compound might be worthwhile if the box isn't already using something like a nylock nut.
Old 06-02-2016, 08:59 PM
There is no spoon

Quote:
Originally Posted by choujames View Post
Thanks for the photos. Doesn't look bad at all. Congrats on the furball.

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish23 View Post
What a lovely looking puppy. Congrats on the family addition. His name befits being squired around in a GT.......

Hope you, the missus, and the fur kids are keeping dry down there if the heavy rains are in your neighborhood.
Thanks guys! The little guy is a looker, breeder was politicking us to try and show him...don't know if we want to be "those" type of people, we watched Best In Show

Quote:
Originally Posted by jadnashuanh View Post
The bigger they are, the more tempting it is to load them up! Just be aware of the load limits on the roof, and after the first 100-miles or so, double-check the fasteners to make sure they're still tight. A bit of blue thread locking compound might be worthwhile if the box isn't already using something like a nylock nut.
Good tips, will have to look at roof load. The box limit is 110lbs, box itself is 51 and don't recall what the rack weighs...adds up fast though. As for locking, Thule has a "no-brainer" system: It uses clamps that fully clasp around the bar with a torque indicating tightening system that clicks to let you know it is fully tightened, but won't let you over-tighten.
Old 06-03-2016, 12:47 PM

Mein Auto: 2014 BMW 535xi GT
New Furball, new need for storage - aka Thule Sonic XL Roof Box purchase review

[QUOTE=daders;9700091]Thanks guys! The little guy is a looker, breeder was politicking us to try and show him...don't know if we want to be "those" type of people, we watched Best In Show

While Best in Show was intended to be funny (and it was) , my missus and I went to a nearby dog show some years ago and walked in the "green room" area to see dogs and their owners. Mostly saw the dogs lying in their pens alone with no owners in sight. We figured they were somewhere socializing. We felt sorry for the dogs and vowed we would not become one of "those" people - and we haven't. Thor would no doubt want you to emulate us.

Last edited by Fish23; 06-04-2016 at 06:47 AM.
Old 06-03-2016, 02:23 PM
There is no spoon

[QUOTE=Fish23;9701001]
Quote:
Originally Posted by daders View Post
Thanks guys! The little guy is a looker, breeder was politicking us to try and show him...don't know if we want to be "those" type of people, we watched Best In Show

While Best in Show was intended to be funny (and it was) , my missus and I went to a nearby dog show some years ago and walked in the "green room" area to see dogs and their owners. Mostly saw the dogs lying in their pens alone with no owners in sight. We figured they weee somewhere socializing. We felt sorry for the dogs and vowed we would not become one of "those" people - and we haven't. Thor would no doubt want you to emulate us.
I most certainly do not like that observation, we don't like crating our pups and besides having that big of a crate is not only an eyesore in the house but also disruptive to valuable floor space for playtime. Our breeder provided a show grooming DVD for us (because I have been learning to groom myself and the big guy is not "presentable" to that crowd's discerning eye) and the stuff they put the dogs through to make them look "good" is ludicrous IMO. They trim their whiskers, use coloring and powders to highlight markings, etc.

Anyway, some actual information that can be useful to others reading this for the roof box topic: Max roof load capacity for our GT's is 165lb/75kg

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > F07 Gran Turismo (2010 - Current)
Today's Posts Search