Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 (2012 - current)

F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 (2012 - current)
The sixth generation 3 series, chassis code F30. 2013 model year 328i and 335i sedans now in production. Read the F30 frequently asked question thread for all your basic question and dive into all the details in the ultimate F30 information thread.

Old 10-11-2012, 12:16 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2008 335i
They are telling me my car is done and it only took a recoding and I can pick it up today. Frankly, I'm skeptical, but this is preferable to being in this loaner for a week. Some observations after driving the car to work:

1. I can't believe how much I miss comfort access. My wife's SUV is older and requires a key, and I find that less obnoxious than having to shove a fob into the dash for some reason.
2. The actual driving experience isn't too bad save for 2 things: hitting the gas and feeling like nothing happens for 2 seconds and how rough it handles bad road surfaces. Ugh.
3. There is a simple grace to the spartan, basic interior. However, I hate the cupholders and the window controls angled away from the driver.
4. The interior feels like a VW bug compared to the bigger F30.

Also, if the car is recoded, will I have to redo all of my electronic settings? Presets? Music Hard Drive?
2012 Alpine White F30 328i Leather Dakota Everest Grey/Sport Line/Premium/Premium Sound/Technology/STEPTRONIC/Rear View Camera/Heated Front Seats/Park Distance Control/Xenons/BMW Assist w/Enhanced USB/BMW Apps
Old 10-11-2012, 12:19 PM

Mein Auto: F30 328i Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by shabadoo25 View Post
They are telling me my car is done and it only took a recoding and I can pick it up today. Frankly, I'm skeptical, but this is preferable to being in this loaner for a week. Some observations after driving the car to work:

1. I can't believe how much I miss comfort access. My wife's SUV is older and requires a key, and I find that less obnoxious than having to shove a fob into the dash for some reason.
2. The actual driving experience isn't too bad save for 2 things: hitting the gas and feeling like nothing happens for 2 seconds and how rough it handles bad road surfaces. Ugh.
3. There is a simple grace to the spartan, basic interior. However, I hate the cupholders and the window controls angled away from the driver.
4. The interior feels like a VW bug compared to the bigger F30.

Also, if the car is recoded, will I have to redo all of my electronic settings? Presets? Music Hard Drive?
Are you in an E90? if so, try to get the hell out of that thing asap
Old 10-11-2012, 12:20 PM

Mein Auto: BMW 328i SP
Quote:
Originally Posted by justinnum1 View Post

Bull ****. Apr tunes audi's i dont trust their numbers at all. I found a bunch of dynos of the 2,0t

Here is the 2.0t

I even found an APR dyno,

stock numbers on dyno are 200/225

N20>A4

Good effort but try harder.
You do realize you don't make yourself look really good when you post stuff that you have NO CLUE about. You posted a dyno of the old FSI engine. Try again please!

Last edited by LegendsNeverDie; 10-11-2012 at 12:23 PM.
Old 10-11-2012, 12:22 PM

Mein Auto: F30 328i, AP1 S2000
I consider myself a driving enthusiast, and I have no prior history with Audi, BMW nor Hyundai/Kia. So when looking for a sedan, my impressions were:
BMW E90 - slow, sluggish, and lethargic. A very big letdown for "The Ultimate Driving Machine."
Audi A4 Quatro - engine had great low-end punch, loved the ZF 8spd, but lacked acceleration at highway speeds, and had a non-sporty feel to steering and chassis.
Kia Optima SX Turbo - felt like it had much less power than 274 hp, closer to 200 would have said, and no sport feel at all.
BMW F30 - finally a car with decent pull at all RPMs and speeds, plus a responsive chassis.

Based on my E90 drive, I was ready to write off ever owning a BMW. (My only previous drive in a BMW was a Z3 when they first came out - the 1.9L 4cyl sounded and performed about like a kazoo. Ick.) But learning that the F30 got the same 8spd from ZF as the A4 convinced me to give BMW another try, and I'm glad I did. My Sport Line should be delivered sometime next week.
Old 10-11-2012, 12:23 PM

Mein Auto: 328i F30
Quote:
Originally Posted by shabadoo25 View Post
I had mine re-coded, lost presets for radio, for the 1-8 buttons on the dash, various other settings as well. It retained all the hard drive music, seat memory positions, NAV destinations, so not too bad.

I think the trick is, save your profile to a USB before you take it in for service.
Old 10-11-2012, 12:24 PM

Mein Auto: '98 M E36/7:'13 F30 RWD
Quote:
Originally Posted by bayoucity View Post
Is this the Edmond/Insideline "underrated N20 dyno" that you all are talking about?

N20 did 240 @ 5,250rpm & 257 lb-ft @ 4,450 rpm ( video clip 1:20 mark) ;

Hyundai 2.0 T rated 279 hp/ 262 lb-ft.

Pretty surreal & Humbling huh?

No, I was going by this dyno of the 2.0T...

When you humble me I will let you know.

E36/7: Dinan/RMS stage 2+ blower@13lbs of BOOST! 18" BBS LM's, too much more to list
F30: ForgeStar F14 19's summer-OZ Superleggera 17's winter/Rogue Catback/Integral Audio/AFE intake scoop/BMS stage 1
Old 10-11-2012, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LegendsNeverDie View Post
You do realize you don't make yourself look really good when you post stuff that you have NO CLUE about. You posted a dyno of the old FSI engine. Try again please!
Your inability to read is sad.

That 2012 A5 has the same engine as the A4. look at the date. Once again, this is not difficult, try and keep up.
Old 10-11-2012, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elistan View Post
I consider myself a driving enthusiast, and I have no prior history with Audi, BMW nor Hyundai/Kia. So when looking for a sedan, my impressions were:
BMW E90 - slow, sluggish, and lethargic. A very big letdown for "The Ultimate Driving Machine."
Audi A4 Quatro - engine had great low-end punch, loved the ZF 8spd, but lacked acceleration at highway speeds, and had a non-sporty feel to steering and chassis.
Kia Optima SX Turbo - felt like it had much less power than 274 hp, closer to 200 would have said, and no sport feel at all.
BMW F30 - finally a car with decent pull at all RPMs and speeds, plus a responsive chassis.

Based on my E90 drive, I was ready to write off ever owning a BMW. (My only previous drive in a BMW was a Z3 when they first came out - the 1.9L 4cyl sounded and performed about like a kazoo. Ick.) But learning that the F30 got the same 8spd from ZF as the A4 convinced me to give BMW another try, and I'm glad I did. My Sport Line should be delivered sometime next week.
yea, the N52 is weak as hell! Good thing you waited. Audi engine is crap at high speeds, and the car is to heavy with a front weight bias.
Old 10-11-2012, 12:37 PM

Quote:
yea, the N52 is weak as hell! Good thing you waited. Audi engine is crap at high speeds, and the car is to heavy with a front weight bias.
Except that the F30 got owned by the A4 in nearly in every performance category. Of course you are going to call the APR numbers BS, however they match the acceleration times posted by the C & D test. I know it is hard for you to understand because judging by your previous post it is clear that you have very limited knowledge when it comes to automobiles. Enjoy your car for what it is but don't try to preach something you are clueless about.
Old 10-11-2012, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Except that the F30 got owned by the A4 in nearly in every performance category. Of course you are going to call the APR numbers BS, however they match the acceleration times posted by the C & D test. I know it is hard for you to understand because judging by your previous post it is clear that you have very limited knowledge when it comes to automobiles. Enjoy your car for what it is but don't try to preach something you are clueless about.
The car with all season tires on it?

I thought you could do better, but apparently not. The BMW had nearly identical numbers and that was with ALL SEASON TIRES

Which car lost the comparison? Hint:It wasn't the BMW

Last edited by justinnum1; 10-11-2012 at 12:48 PM.
Old 10-11-2012, 12:53 PM

Mein Auto: 2012 535xi 2013 X3 35i
Quote:
The car with all season tires on it?

I thought you could do better, but apparently not. The BMW had nearly identical numbers and that was with ALL SEASON TIRES

Which car lost the comparison? Hint:It wasn't the BMW
An excuse is like a you know what, everybody has one
Old 10-11-2012, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The X Men View Post
An excuse is like a you know what, everybody has one

You expect a car with all season tires to perform as well as a car with summer performance tires?

Wow, some people on this site are clueless.
Old 10-11-2012, 01:01 PM
Worlds Foremost Authority

Mein Auto: 335i E93 - 750Lix
I think a comparison of the way cars come equipped is a legitmate comparison since most buyers are going to keep the car stock.

CA

Drivers Club at Lime Rock
The Glen Club
International Motor Racing Research Center
BMWCCA
Cayman Club Nor'Easters
Madison Ave. Sports Car Driving and Chowder Society (Only a Vice President)
Sports Car Club of America
Polish Racing Drivers of America (PRDA)
American Mural Project
Simeone Foundation Automotive Museum
Mount Washington Observatory
Society of Automotive Historians
Old 10-11-2012, 01:04 PM

Quote:

You expect a car with all season tires to perform as well as a car with summer performance tires?

There is all kind of varibles when you do a comparo, you just have to learn to accept the results. Stop drinking the BMW Kool Aid kid, you had enough.
Old 10-11-2012, 01:07 PM

Quote:
There is all kind of varibles when you do a comparo, you just have to learn to accept the results. Stop drinking the BMW Kool Aid kid, you had enough.
Who won that comparo?
Old 10-11-2012, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Who won that comparo?
The performance numbers are close, but it should have never been that close to begin with considering that we are comparing a 6 year old design with a brand new one.
Old 10-11-2012, 01:13 PM

Quote:
The performance numbers are close, but it should have never been that close to begin with considering that we are comparing a 6 year old design with a brand new one.
Thanks for not answering the question
Old 10-11-2012, 01:15 PM
BMW Platinum Visa® Member

Mein Auto: BMW L328i
Quote:
Quote:
Your inability to read is sad.

That 2012 A5 has the same engine as the A4. look at the date. Once again, this is not difficult, try and keep up.
I'm convinced that you're debating a 17 year old driving a 2006 328i bought with Bar Mitzvah money and a summer camp job as a CIT.

Be careful, might be cited for child abuse.

BJ

2013 BMW L328i Luxury Sedan | Premium Package | Technology Package | Lighting Package | Steptronic® | PDC | Apps
Mineral Grey Metallic | Saddle Leather | Anthracite | Camera | Sirius | Rolex | Trophy Wife | Beach House | Status Package®
Old 10-11-2012, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boltjaM3s View Post
I'm convinced that you're debating a 17 year old driving a 2006 328i bought with Bar Mitzvah money and a summer camp job as a CIT.

Be careful, might be cited for child abuse.

BJ
Sure feels like it. I know reading comprehension isn't the easiest thing in the world, but the conversation has been pretty elementary.
Old 10-11-2012, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Thanks for not answering the question
Keep in mind that its the F30 owners like you that are making excuses, not the A4 owners. A comparo between the 3 series and the A4 say 10 years ago would have been much more decisive.
Old 10-11-2012, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Keep in mind that its the F30 owners like you that are making excuses, not the A4 owners. A comparo between the 3 series and the A4 say 10 years ago would have been much more decisive.
A4 owners aren't saying **** because they lost lol. And they probably have better things to do then spend time in a different cars forum. F30>B8 or 8.5. It's e90 owners like yourself that need to do whatever they can to try and make the F30 look bad(and yourselves feel better about your aging automobiles).

Anyways, a win is a win, and the F30 has quite a few of them

Last edited by justinnum1; 10-11-2012 at 01:24 PM.
Old 10-11-2012, 01:23 PM

Quote:

A 50K "SPORT" line BMW should outperform a 6 year old A4 in braking, handling and steering but it doesn't. Remember those things? That what BMW WAS famous for.
Old 10-11-2012, 01:28 PM

Quote:
A 50K "SPORT" line BMW should outperform a 6 year old A4 in braking, handling and steering but it doesn't. Remember those things? That what BMW WAS famous for.
To bad we wont see you in an F30

not.
Old 10-11-2012, 01:32 PM

Smile

Quote:
A4 owners aren't saying **** because they lost lol. And they probably have better things to do then spend time in a different cars forum. F30>B8 or 8.5. It's e90 owners like yourself that need to do whatever they can to try and make the F30 look bad(and yourselves feel better about your aging automobiles).

Anyways, a win is a win, and the F30 has quite a few of them

We win because the F30 is a better car.

We win because we love our cars enough to not need to bash anyone else's to make ourselves feel better.

When I get bitter and angry, I don't go into discussion forums that I don't belong in and pick fights with a bunch of 47 year old dad's, but that's just me.

BJ

2013 BMW L328i Luxury Sedan | Premium Package | Technology Package | Lighting Package | Steptronic® | PDC | Apps
Mineral Grey Metallic | Saddle Leather | Anthracite | Camera | Sirius | Rolex | Trophy Wife | Beach House | Status Package®
Old 10-11-2012, 01:39 PM

Quote:
I'm sorry, but what kind of enthusiast drives a 328i?

You know what BMW was famous for because you read something in a magazine, now you drive around in a bloated and underpowered 328i and post dyno graphs to make an argument that your used car is better than the brand new one? Really?

Don't you have Pop Warner practice to get ready for? Mom's driving and you don't want to make her late.

BJ