Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)

E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
The E9X is the 4th evolution of the BMW 3 series including a highly tuned twin turbo 335i variant pushing out 300hp and 300 ft. lbs. of torque. BMW continues to show that it sets the bar for true driving performance! -- View the E9X Wiki

Old 07-06-2012, 02:28 PM

Mein Auto: 335i
Fuze 56 and 57, Door Actuators, BMW Service

Evening Gents,

Long time, first time.

My vehicle has just been diagnosed with failure in three of four power door lock actuators. Of course BMW of Warwick (Rhode Island) wants to replace all four. I been reading all the articles on the power lock actuators and can't seem to find a price anywhere on what the average cost is for this job. They want to do all four for $1600.

It really makes me regret being an idiot and not spending the extra two grand a year ago on a CPO.

Is this reasonable? How has BMW not declared this part defective yet? How should a five year old car need all four power lock actuators?!

Called BMW of NA and they were unable to help.

Thanks fellas.
Ads by Google
Old 07-06-2012, 02:55 PM
Here comes trouble!

Mein Auto: 2009 328i E90 :)
Wow, I think you're one of the first I recall reading about issues with the door actuators. I mean, clearly, it is a part that can fail, but unlike the E46 that had a lot of issues with window actuators, we have seen few E9X vehicles with issues with either the door or window actuators. Since 3 of 4 failed, I would suspect an electrical issue rather than the actuators themselves. Sure, they may be dead now and need replacement but what caused all 3 of them to fail (more or less at once, it sounds like). I'd be worried you'll replace them just so they'll fail again in a short period of time due to an underlying electrical issue.

www.realoem.com should help identify pricing, as well as www.getbmwparts.com

Good luck!

Quote:
Originally Posted by furby076 View Post
You will rue this day, RUE THIS DAY
Old 07-06-2012, 03:13 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '08 328i, 06' Z4 3.0
I had my front actuators go out at about 45,000 miles. I was still under factory warranty. A coworker had his go out as well, his were covered by the extended warranty. I think it may be one of the items that has a higher failure rate for the e90.
Old 07-06-2012, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwinter View Post
I mean, clearly, it is a part that can fail, but unlike the E46 that had a lot of issues with window actuators, we have seen few E9X vehicles with issues with either the door or window actuators.
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=160062 <---THIS ONE

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=477507

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=286006

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=391272

I actually found how to make the quick fix on this forum by replacing fuses 56 and 57 in the extremely hard to reach fusebox.

I am especially angry that the dealership told me to replace all four actuators. Also infuriating is the fact that I drive with my fiancee and her door is inoperable once the fuze blows. You can't even open the door afterwards due to their being no manual override!

God forbid we have an emergency or accident.
Old 07-06-2012, 06:23 PM
Freedom isn't free!!

Mein Auto: '06 Sonora/Beige 330i :-)
I've had one actuator fail. I bought a replacement online for $45 and paid maybe $100 for the labor. I had a couple of other maintenance items done at the same time, so I'm not sure of the exact labor cost.

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." -- Geo. Orwell

2006 330i Sonora w/ ActiveAutoWerke flash tune :-)
2004 330i ZHP Imola/NB - missed
2000 328i TiAg - gone but not forgotten

BMW CCA member #388003 - www.bmwcca.org Use me as a referral, you could win a one day ///M Driving School!
Old 07-06-2012, 06:26 PM
Freedom isn't free!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MVolante View Post
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=160062 <---THIS ONE

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=477507

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=286006

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=391272

I actually found how to make the quick fix on this forum by replacing fuses 56 and 57 in the extremely hard to reach fusebox.

I am especially angry that the dealership told me to replace all four actuators. Also infuriating is the fact that I drive with my fiancee and her door is inoperable once the fuze blows. You can't even open the door afterwards due to their being no manual override!

God forbid we have an emergency or accident.
Did you bump up the fuse by 5 amps? That should go along way toward preventing the fuse from blowing in the future.

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." -- Geo. Orwell

BMW CCA member #388003 - www.bmwcca.org Use me as a referral, you could win a one day ///M Driving School!

Last edited by tturedraider; 07-06-2012 at 06:27 PM.
Old 07-06-2012, 06:46 PM
bimmerfest Supporting Member

Mein Auto: '13 F10 535i (loaner)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tturedraider View Post
Did you bump up the fuse by 5 amps? That should go along way toward preventing the fuse from blowing in the future.
This is a typical solution, but I'm not sure if it is a permanent fix. NHTSA's complaint database (Safercar.gov) is filling up with consumer complaints of consumer's being trapped in their car and having to be evacuated through the windows (elderly, children) for the earlier model 3-series due to this problem. This is a clear safety problem and I'm somewhat surprised that it has not caught NHTSA's attention yet...perhaps due to the lack of injuries reported. All owner's who have been trapped in their car need to continue to report this issue to the NHTSA complaint database.
If this problem was to happen during a crash, occupants would not be able to get out of the car (fire, etc.). Considering the quantity of complaints for this issue that are already registered in NHTSA's database, it would probably take only one petition by a consumer to the NHTSA to initiate an investigation.
E46 M3 6MT
E39 528i 5MT
MBz W140 S320
MBz W124 300E (slammed)
(unmentionables in between)
'71 AMC Javelin (4-Spd Stick on the floor)
'67 Pontiac Firebird 'cabrio' (1st car - "the leaker")
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Member: BMW CCA
Old 07-07-2012, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tturedraider View Post
Yes, I bumped both Fuze 56 and 57 up to the 20 Amp Fuses. They continued to blow and now the left rear door will not open at all despite fuse replacement. I imagine that means the actual actuator is kaput.
Old 07-07-2012, 11:45 AM
Freedom isn't free!!

Quote:
Yes, I bumped both Fuze 56 and 57 up to the 20 Amp Fuses. They continued to blow and now the left rear door will not open at all despite fuse replacement. I imagine that means the actual actuator is kaput.
Yes, that is correct. It is fairly common for a failing actuator to cause the fuses to blow, therefore affecting the other locks. Unfortunately,for the layman (and sometimes the Bozo professionals), it can be difficult to figure out which actuator is causing the problems until it completely fails.

Old 07-07-2012, 01:26 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: Car
the real fix is this..

increase the fuse size to 20 amps. Cycle the locks several times. If one of the front locks stops functioning, replace both front actuators.
if one of the rears stops, replace just that side.

The dealer may well just be covering theyre own butt so as to prevent future failures. after all, if one fails a month from now, im sure you'll be kicking and screaming about that.

sometimes just upping the fuse is enough to make the system perform forever.
Old 09-18-2012, 09:41 PM

Mein Auto: 2006 330i Sport, 6 spd MT
Angry Door Locks

Hi all, I have an 06 330i Sport sedan. Recently my trunk would not lock or stay shut. I drove to work with it loose. When I parked the lock worked.

Few days later the driver door would not unlock but only passenger door was unlocked. After crawling in thought the passenger door, I could not open any of the other doors.
I found on a forum about fuse 57 which was burnt. replaced with a 20 amp fuse. Also lubed all the lock mechanisms.

Still the rear driver side door does not unlock with the key. All others appear to be working. What else can I check. I am mechanically inclined but is it the actuator? It locks but doesnt unlock. ???
Old 09-18-2012, 10:16 PM
Freedom isn't free!!

Probably the actuator. Frequently an actuator that is failing is what triggers the other issues.

Old 10-08-2012, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Evening Gents,

Long time, first time.

My vehicle has just been diagnosed with failure in three of four power door lock actuators. Of course BMW of Warwick (Rhode Island) wants to replace all four. I been reading all the articles on the power lock actuators and can't seem to find a price anywhere on what the average cost is for this job. They want to do all four for $1600.

It really makes me regret being an idiot and not spending the extra two grand a year ago on a CPO.

Is this reasonable? How has BMW not declared this part defective yet? How should a five year old car need all four power lock actuators?!

Called BMW of NA and they were unable to help.

Thanks fellas.
Hi;

My drivers door lock actuator was replaced last wednesday and as soon as I got home, I heard the same "Clicking" noise again. Just bought it 10 day's ago.....I had a 328i before that with no problems. I've scheduled another appointment for service, should I tell them to replace all of the door locks? I'm just a little old lady and not sure what to tell them.......??

thanks.....Grannie Gertz
Old 10-08-2012, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrannieGertzBMW View Post
Hi;

My drivers door lock actuator was replaced last wednesday and as soon as I got home, I heard the same "Clicking" noise again. Just bought it 10 day's ago.....I had a 328i before that with no problems. I've scheduled another appointment for service, should I tell them to replace all of the door locks? I'm just a little old lady and not sure what to tell them.......??

thanks.....Grannie Gertz
Make sure you report it to NHTSA.
E46 M3 6MT
E39 528i 5MT
MBz W140 S320
MBz W124 300E (slammed)
Old 10-08-2012, 07:46 PM
Banned

Mein Auto: bmw
I think you're one of the first I recall reading about issues with the door actuators

Last edited by tim330i; 10-09-2012 at 09:16 AM.
Old 10-08-2012, 07:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanieCorrigan View Post
I think you're one of the first I recall reading about issues with the door actuators
Are you serious? There have been many and this is an "epidemic" issue. BMW NA should recall these cars IMO as it is a CLEAR safety issue IMO.
E46 M3 6MT
E39 528i 5MT
MBz W140 S320
MBz W124 300E (slammed)

Last edited by tim330i; 10-09-2012 at 09:16 AM. Reason: Removed spam link from quote
Old 10-09-2012, 07:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pointandgo View Post
Are you serious? There have been many and this is an "epidemic" issue. BMW NA should recall these cars IMO as it is a CLEAR safety issue IMO.
Thank's pointandgo.........I've been doing my home work. Looked into complaints, recall's and service bulletins (safercar.gov) and pulled up the "Lemon-Law" information for California. When I go in to drop my car off for the appointment I scheduled I feel more confident that they will see I'm not goona be pushed around because I'm a woman. Last night I took a short ride in my car and it lost power for a second and is idling rough. The door Lock Actuator may not be the root cause.....

I took an early-retirement, but that does not mean I want to spend all my free-time at the service department. I should be out enjoying my car, not worrying about breaking down somewhere.

I appreciate your input......

Thanks.......Grannie
Old 10-09-2012, 06:20 PM

Mein Auto: '07-e90 335i jet black
My driver door lock stopped functioning about a year ago. I found the thread on replacing the fuse with the 20 amp and it worked until about a month ago. The fuse is still sound but the actuator has given up the ghost.

I'm not about to pay the stealership rates to replace. Is anyone aware of a good step-by-step replacement post?

Old 10-09-2012, 06:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC_335i_Sedan-t View Post
My driver door lock stopped functioning about a year ago. I found the thread on replacing the fuse with the 20 amp and it worked until about a month ago. The fuse is still sound but the actuator has given up the ghost.

I'm not about to pay the stealership rates to replace. Is anyone aware of a good step-by-step replacement post?
I've seen a DIY for replacing the actuators on another BMW web site...can't find it at the moment. It seemed QUITE involved to me, but then again I have difficulties replacing a roll of paper towels on the kitchen rack.

PS: Be sure to report this to NHTSA's complaint database (safercar.com)!
E46 M3 6MT
E39 528i 5MT
MBz W140 S320
MBz W124 300E (slammed)

Last edited by pointandgo; 10-09-2012 at 06:43 PM.