Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > M Series > F10 M5 (2012 - Current)

F10 M5 (2012 - Current)
The count down is on. The BMW M5 F10 will be released on April 1st, 2011!

Old 08-15-2014, 02:48 PM

Mein Auto: 2007 X5 4.8; 2013 X3 3.5
Communication Box

My son bought a new 2012 M5 and I have a couple of questions about the car. He appears to be having some problems with the "communication box"?

Is the trunk lid suppose to open by passing your hand and/or foot under or near the rear of the vehicle when you have key fob with you?

Also he says that the album cover and/or titles don't show up when songs are being played from his iPod or iPhone should they?

I haven't looked at the online owners manual yet and the car is not near me.

It appears the dealer my not be tell him the whole story?
Advertisement
Old 08-18-2014, 04:04 PM

Mein Auto: 2014 M5
Hi! First, congrats! I also have an f10 m5. It's my second one. I had an e60 M5 as well! Love them both for different reasons.

The f10, pending the package installed, has a lot of technology that is there for convenience. The trunk lid feature is one. I guess they assume that when you're loading groceries into your M5 and your hands are full you can use the foot swipe to open the trunk. It's cool. I have it on my jeep too, which actually does do the grocery runs....but hey....sure why not. Hahaha yes it only works if you have the key fob on your person.

Regarding the album covers. You may need a software update. My album covers, played from my iPhone in Bluetooth or USB mode, do show up on screen. Obviously the Bluetooth mode is a little slower and delayed but functional.

Hope that helps! Enjoy the car....

F10 2014 M5
Old 08-19-2014, 06:25 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2014 F10 M5
Quote:
Originally Posted by egunner View Post
My son bought a new 2012 M5 and I have a couple of questions about the car. He appears to be having some problems with the "communication box"?

Is the trunk lid suppose to open by passing your hand and/or foot under or near the rear of the vehicle when you have key fob with you?

Also he says that the album cover and/or titles don't show up when songs are being played from his iPod or iPhone should they?

I haven't looked at the online owners manual yet and the car is not near me.

It appears the dealer my not be tell him the whole story?
It took me some practice to trigger the trunk sensor. What I found that works best for me (most of the time, but still not perfect) is...

* location is just inboard of the exhaust outlets on the right, near the fairing that surrounds them.
* works better if I raise my knee and then just swing my lower leg.

I'm fairly short (5' 7"), so this approach would have to be adjusted for someone taller.

Anybody else have any hints?

Previously...
'11 F10 550i M Sport (ED Aug 1, 2011; US deliv, Sep 12, 2011)
'08 E90 M3
'07 E92 335i: ordered Nov '06; delivered Jan '07, totaled Sep '08.
'02 E39 M5: June 2002 - June 2007
'00 E39 540i/6, '97 E39 528i, '92 E34 525i + VW, MBz, Peugeot, Toyota, Olds