Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E60 (2004 - 2010)

E60 (2004 - 2010)
BMW 5-Series (E60 chassis) was first seen in the Unites States in the fall of 2003 with a 2004 Model Year designation. The E60 is now available as a 528i, 528xi, 535i, 535xi, 550i and a 535xi sports wagon! -- View the E60 Wiki

Old 10-09-2012, 03:30 PM

Mein Auto: 2004 BMW 545i
Exclamation How do I use the Memory Seat functions??

Hey how is everyone going? so I finally got myself a BMW after being a long time reader of these forums... just picked up a 2004 545i with only 99K from a local dealership, and so far it has been an amazing upgrade from my 2005 Acura TL that I use to drive for the longest time... my bimmer has been running perfectly with zero issues at all, but I just for some reason can't seem to figure out how to properly use the memory feature of the seats??!!

Like I know for the passenger seats, I simply adjust my settings press the "M" button and then press either "1" or "2" to have that position memorized, but for some odd reason when I do the same on the drivers side, it doesn't memorize my settings, and it always goes back to some random seating position, don't know what I am doing wrong, but hopefully you guys can shed some light on this issue. Thanks!!
Ads by Google
Old 10-09-2012, 04:57 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: BMW 535i + 535XI wagon
try to press M and then the 1 or 2 button and hold them for a sec or two. Maybe it's busted, but give it a try. Have the car turned on when you do it.

Congrats on the car, it's a whole new world! Take care of that baby.
Old 10-09-2012, 06:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oceans10 View Post
try to press M and then the 1 or 2 button and hold them for a sec or two. Maybe it's busted, but give it a try. Have the car turned on when you do it.

Congrats on the car, it's a whole new world! Take care of that baby.
Appreciate the reply back and yeah it definitely is a whole new world of "driving experience" that's for sure! But yeah, I had the car turned on and also on position "2" and tried pressing the "M" and then holding 1 or 2, but to no avail .... any other suggestions?? could it be that the "M" button could be broken??! or is there a some sort of connection to the key, like it has to sync with the key or something like that??
Old 10-09-2012, 07:57 PM

No, sounds like it is broken. Maybe you can check if it is plugged in properly. You may need a tech to look at it. I also suggest you have the car scanned for error codes, that might lead to further clues. I doubt each seat has a fuse, but maybe something to investigate.
Old 10-10-2012, 07:24 AM

Mein Auto: '07 750i BMW; '03 Z4 BMW
Does someone else drive your 5? If so the seat will return to the last position that it was in when that key was used.
Old 10-10-2012, 08:16 AM

Mein Auto: corvette/528xi
I am going by memory here but here is a little more than I know:

Somewhere in I drive there is a menu of some scenarios.
you may be in the one you dont want.

FYI if you go to the BMW website, you will find a full range of owners manuals online.
mark it and refer to it.

Also look for the towing info and other "daily" use info and print them out. keep them in the car.

best of luck with your new car.
Old 10-10-2012, 11:08 AM

Mein Auto: 2012 535i X-drive
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeT View Post
Does someone else drive your 5? If so the seat will return to the last position that it was in when that key was used.
As noted above each key contains different stored memory data for the seat.
Does the Memory light come on (red) when you try setting the memory?
You can also turn off (uncheck) the "Last Seat Position" in iDrive so the seats won't respond when a different key is used.
2012 BMW 535i X-drive; Space Grey/Black Dakota, Fineline; Executive (Auto trunk, NAV, HiFi Prof, Lumbar, Rear Cam, SIRIUS, Voice), Technology (Blind Spot, Hi-Beam Assist, Lane Departure, Surround View), APPS, Rear heated seats, Tint.
Retired: 78 300D, 81 300SD, 87 190E, 88 Porsche 924, 89 260E, 93 300E, 97 Volvo 850, 98 E320, 03 BMW 325iT, 02 C230 Sport Coupe, 08 BMW 535i
Old 10-10-2012, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilgorm View Post
As noted above each key contains different stored memory data for the seat.
Does the Memory light come on (red) when you try setting the memory?
You can also turn off (uncheck) the "Last Seat Position" in iDrive so the seats won't respond when a different key is used.
no the "m" button does not light up when I press on it nor does it give any type of beep or anything, and yeah I have also done that too about the last seat position, but if its tied to the key it shouldn't be a problem as only the one key is being used at the moment no matter who drives the 5 (kept the other key locked away in case of any emergencies) ... its just really annoying how everytime the seats need to be readjusted and I can never get it feeling back to the same as the time before thanks to the wide array of settings available to be adjusted..
Old 10-10-2012, 09:12 PM

Mein Auto: 2012 535i X-drive
The M button should light up red for it to function; there is no sound. Your assumption that the memory function has died sounds correct but I don't understand why the seat changes every time you use it or are multiple drivers changing it for their use?
In my case, once the memory was set and the last seat position was unchecked, I never had to readjust the seat.
Sorry I can't offer any insight into your problem.
2012 BMW 535i X-drive; Space Grey/Black Dakota, Fineline; Executive (Auto trunk, NAV, HiFi Prof, Lumbar, Rear Cam, SIRIUS, Voice), Technology (Blind Spot, Hi-Beam Assist, Lane Departure, Surround View), APPS, Rear heated seats, Tint.
Retired: 78 300D, 81 300SD, 87 190E, 88 Porsche 924, 89 260E, 93 300E, 97 Volvo 850, 98 E320, 03 BMW 325iT, 02 C230 Sport Coupe, 08 BMW 535i
Old 10-11-2012, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilgorm View Post
The M button should light up red for it to function; there is no sound. Your assumption that the memory function has died sounds correct but I don't understand why the seat changes every time you use it or are multiple drivers changing it for their use?
In my case, once the memory was set and the last seat position was unchecked, I never had to readjust the seat.
Sorry I can't offer any insight into your problem.
Thank you for everyone's input so far, but yeah my "M" button definitely does not light up, I am really curious as how to much this will cost to repair if it is indeed that the button has bit the dust... and the seats don't always move when I get into the vehicle, it retains my previoius position, but it is just annoying to me not being able to save my settings so when another family member drives the car I have to completely redo my settings again which is a pain as it happens pretty often :-/
Old 10-11-2012, 01:27 PM

see if there is a plug for the seat control module. I would research the wiring and chase the failure point further. You could also ask BMW about it. Maybe they have some insight as they deal with thousands of maintenanbce issues.