Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 (2012 - current)

F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 (2012 - current)
The sixth generation 3 series, chassis code F30. 2013 model year 328i and 335i sedans now in production. Read the F30 frequently asked question thread for all your basic question and dive into all the details in the ultimate F30 information thread.

Old 10-26-2012, 08:20 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Send a message via Skype™ to jfox335i
Mein Auto: 2010 E90 M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by -=Hot|Ice=- View Post
If they offered the Bang and Olufsen Sound System on the 3...

From your lips, to BMW's ears. If only, If only...I would take it in a heartbeat, damn the price.

I have the PS package. If you like to listen to music a lot, and at higher volumes, go ahead and pony up for the PS package. The HK is an upgrade from the base system, however I find it passable at best. In a 50K+ car, I had hoped for better. The HK in the BMW is only slightly better then the HK system in the Legacy I had, and that car costs almost 20K less. Cmon BMW, step up to the plate and offer B&O or some other high end system in your 3 series cars, we'll pay for it, we promise!!

For the HK system, turn off the L7 surround, and adjust the EQ to your liking. It makes a big difference. With the L7 surround on, it's really not good and the sound is artificial. Personally, I've always found HK to be overrated as a premium sound system.

Note: If you plan on keeping the car for a long time, I would even consider taking the base, and going AM. Cost will be higher, but you'll get exactly what you want.

BMWCCA #471315
Old 10-26-2012, 08:51 AM
Lost but making good time

Mein Auto: '11 335xi Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfox335i View Post
From your lips, to BMW's ears. If only, If only...I would take it in a heartbeat, damn the price. ... Cmon BMW, step up to the plate and offer B&O or some other high end system in your 3 series cars, we'll pay for it, we promise!!
They do. The "Enhanced Premium Sound" option on the M3 gets what's known as "BMW Individual High-End Audio" in other markets. It is a substantial upgrade from the harman/kardon system. It can be had on a non-M 3er as an Individual option (i.e., special order).

EDIT: Didn't notice which forum I was in...it isn't available in the F30 yet.

N47 35' 30.13" E11 10' 33.36" - End of break-in...you can guess what came next. BMW CCA

Last edited by Zeichen311; 10-26-2012 at 09:25 AM.
Old 10-26-2012, 09:01 AM

Mein Auto: 2012 328i Sport
Quote:
From your lips, to BMW's ears. If only, If only...I would take it in a heartbeat, damn the price.

I have the PS package. If you like to listen to music a lot, and at higher volumes, go ahead and pony up for the PS package. The HK is an upgrade from the base system, however I find it passable at best. In a 50K+ car, I had hoped for better. The HK in the BMW is only slightly better then the HK system in the Legacy I had, and that car costs almost 20K less. Cmon BMW, step up to the plate and offer B&O or some other high end system in your 3 series cars, we'll pay for it, we promise!!

For the HK system, turn off the L7 surround, and adjust the EQ to your liking. It makes a big difference. With the L7 surround on, it's really not good and the sound is artificial. Personally, I've always found HK to be overrated as a premium sound system.

Note: If you plan on keeping the car for a long time, I would even consider taking the base, and going AM. Cost will be higher, but you'll get exactly what you want.
Could not agree more. My son's stock system in his $18,000 Jeep has equivalent sound to the HK. If you have trained ears you'll go AM. Meaning either talk radio or after-market. I just had an after-market installed. For around $2,500 I get clean sound with low distortion at volume and balance not brightness. It's not home but I can now listen to music.

Don't mean to rain on anyone's parade, the HK isn't awful if you're coming from an I-Pod.
2002 M3
1988 BMW 325is
Never again anything larger than a 3 series sedan.
Old 10-26-2012, 09:54 AM

Mein Auto: F30 328i Sport
HK is one of the best factory systems you can get in a car. Spending 2,500 on an audio system when the environment is not ideal is a huge waste imo.

I will take this professionals word over some amateurs.

http://www.f30post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=752647

Last edited by justinnum1; 10-26-2012 at 09:57 AM.
Old 10-26-2012, 10:12 AM

A waste of money is a function of income. For some that's not a lot of $. There are many who view your purchasing a BMW as a waste of money but I'm not presumptuous enough to calculate your values for you. BTW, if you want to fanboy the system, great, but you may not have gotten to the part of your cited review I'll paste below. LOL. To a trained ear bright = s.hitty.

"The F30 HK system did sound tons better than the E90 HK system, but it was still bright and forward to me."

The settings I liked best myself were the bass control up three clicks and 100 Hz down 50%, 2k down three clicks, 5k down two clicks, and 10k up 2 clicks. This seemed to be the least annoying. The Logic 7 surround feature turned on would make the system sound much brighter and I didn't like that, but I did find the hk system bright in my listening (my 2k cut was to try to get rid of the brightness, but it wasn't completely successful).I'm pretty certain that my settings are not as flat as that pretty flat initial curve, but it sounds better to me.
2005 E55
2002 M3
1988 BMW 325is
Old 10-26-2012, 11:02 AM

Mein Auto: 2012 535xi 2013 X3 35i
Quote:
Cmon BMW, step up to the plate and offer B&O or some other high end system in your 3 series cars, we'll pay for it, we promise!!
I doubt too many people will get the B&O in a 3 series. Even in the 5 series, not too many people opt for the $4500 B&O system.
Old 10-26-2012, 12:31 PM

Mein Auto: 07 335i Coupe
The 3 major sound sources for the vast majority of car audio listeners are: MP3's at 128k or lower, terrestrial radio (am & fm), and satellite radio (Sirius or XM). The sound quality of your car system will be heavily influenced by the source quality, and none of these 3 is anything better than mediocre. Satellite radio in particular is incredibly bad. It's just amazing to me how many people judge the HK using horrible recordings played on highly compressed formats . If you don't think that the HK system sounds at least pretty good on a well recorded CD, then I have no idea what your point of reference is. The old axiom of garbage in = garbage out applies here. If you're not willing to seek out really good source material all the time, I see no point in throwing tons of money at "improving" your audio system. Most contemporary rock recordings are downright terrible, even on CD. "Better" aftermarket components are also no guarantee of better sound. It's like trying to design your own home speaker system instead of buying something designed and manufactured by experts. If you're really good, you might succeed. But very few people know what they are doing.
Old 10-26-2012, 12:35 PM
Software Engineer

Mein Auto: 2013 335i
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmsent View Post
The 3 major sound sources for the vast majority of car audio listeners are: MP3's at 128k or lower, terrestrial radio (am & fm), and satellite radio (Sirius or XM). The sound quality of your car system will be heavily influenced by the source quality, and none of these 3 is anything better than mediocre. Satellite radio in particular is incredibly bad. It's just amazing to me how many people judge the HK using horrible recordings played on highly compressed formats . If you don't think that the HK system sounds at least pretty good on a well recorded CD, then I have no idea what your point of reference is. The old axiom of garbage in = garbage out applies here. If you're not willing to seek out really good source material all the time, I see no point in throwing tons of money at "improving" your audio system. Most contemporary rock recordings are downright terrible, even on CD. "Better" aftermarket components are also no guarantee of better sound. It's like trying to design your own home speaker system instead of buying something designed and manufactured by experts. If you're really good, you might succeed. But very few people know what they are doing.
Actually, I would argue that MP3 sources (aka portable music players and not just mp3 format) is at 256k not 128k and lower.

2013 335i Sport | Mineral White | Leather Dakota Everest Grey | Cold Weather Package | Driver Assistance Package | Premium Package | Technology Package | Auto high beams | Parking Assistant | 6MT

My 335i Photo Gallery
Old 10-26-2012, 01:14 PM

I use flac converted to mp3. 320kbps. Sounds awesome. I only listen to edm.
Old 10-26-2012, 01:50 PM
Software Engineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by justinnum1 View Post
I use flac converted to mp3. 320kbps. Sounds awesome. I only listen to edm.
I just meant mainstream since the average joe buys his digital music downloads from iTunes

2013 335i Sport | Mineral White | Leather Dakota Everest Grey | Cold Weather Package | Driver Assistance Package | Premium Package | Technology Package | Auto high beams | Parking Assistant | 6MT

My 335i Photo Gallery
Old 10-26-2012, 02:19 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 328i m-sport EB2
Quote:
i totally agree with this.

i know a guy who is the "buy every major option so you won't regret your purchase" fool.

and he's really into EDM. now 99% of my music listening in a car is sirius or XM in my current car and my last one. same with him actually. but i've never paid for the upgraded stereo.

its just not worth wasting the money on it if you are listening to sirius's 56kbps compressed audio (and its not like sirius uses a modern codec as its all the same stuff that was launched when sirius launched 10 years ago, so its not some of these newer better codec).

that said, my friend is a "more money is better" lets buy bose quietcomforts becuase they are $300 and must be good type. i on the other hand have cheaper beyerdynamic headphones for normal listening. i'm sure the HK system is slightly better for sirius or 128kbps mp3s and the like. but maybe only if you crank the volume up to near max and want less distortion. but that said at those bitrates and codecs its still probably not a huge difference. and i dont like the logic 7 reprocessed sound, so that doesnt really do much for me (some people love having their music auto distorted for them , oh well).

in the end the HK system is only maybe $850. its probably not the worst thing to spend money on , but i dont think its a must have unless your audio sources really are uncompressed CDs or maybe 320kbps mp3s. im not completely against options, but if it came down to HK vs lighting, i'd get lighting every time (and i did get lighting, but i could have easily ordered both). if you get new cars somewhat frequently (3-5 years like me), the HK system's trade in value will probably be basically 0. so i guess thats another factor in the "only get options you really want to spend money on" decision making process.

Last edited by hans007; 10-26-2012 at 02:41 PM.
Old 10-26-2012, 02:24 PM
Software Engineer

Quote:
320kbps mp3s.
This is far more common then you think. Unless you are ripping your music yourself from CD using the worst possible settings you can find or you pirate your music, odds are your digital music is of higher quality, not the best obviously but not bad either and can be appreciated in a nicer audio system.

That said, I still don't buy HK because the only sound I care about its quality is the sound of my engine and exhaust.

My 335i Photo Gallery
Old 10-26-2012, 02:49 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 328i m-sport EB2
Quote:
Originally Posted by golovko View Post
This is far more common then you think. Unless you are ripping your music yourself from CD using the worst possible settings you can find or you pirate your music, odds are your digital music is of higher quality, not the best obviously but not bad either and can be appreciated in a nicer audio system.

That said, I still don't buy HK because the only sound I care about its quality is the sound of my engine and exhaust.

yeah i realize this is true. i mean most of the pirate sites, and amazon mp3 are 256 and up as it is.

that said, if you aren't using these higher quality rips iits wont really help other than making things louder.
Old 10-26-2012, 03:01 PM

Quote:
I agree to an extent which is why I try to avoid compressed sound in the car and never listen to it at home. But garbage in garbage out implies the result isn't better with a batter system. Clarity, balance, distortion, imaging,etc. still come into play. If you love music it's worth the effort of bringing uncompressed source material to the car.

I really don't mean to detract from anyone's listening pleasure with the HK. But for a few of us $2,500 as opposed to $900 is worth it.
2002 M3
1988 BMW 325is
Old 10-26-2012, 03:40 PM

Mein Auto: 2008 535Xi, 2006 X3 (wife
To the OP,

I opted for the HK audio because for the BMWs my wife and I have had in the past, the ones with standard audio did not sound as good to our ears as the ones with upgraded audio when playing music. For news radio, I doubt there is a need for the upgrade. For us, the difference was well worth the cost.

At one time the upgrade was called Logic 7, which is also the name of proprietary surround processing from Lexicon, part of HK. I used Logic 7 extensively in my home theater in the past and much prefer using it in my car because it expands the virtual size of the listening environment and is more immersive.

Bruce
Old 10-26-2012, 05:01 PM

Mein Auto: F30 328i, AP1 S2000
Has anybody played Apple Lossless files on either stereo?
Old 10-26-2012, 05:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elistan View Post
whats the file format? i dont think the HK can play lossless only mp3 and aac
Old 10-26-2012, 07:18 PM
Software Engineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by elistan View Post
I've downloaded m4a's using the USB port in the glove box and played them before. Found an app on the App Store that can export my music from iTunes. I am 95% sure I had exported it using Apple Lossless

My 335i Photo Gallery
Old 10-29-2012, 06:53 AM

Mein Auto: '11 E92 335ix, '13 S4
Quote:

I have the HK system in my e92. It's not bad. However, it's nowhere near as good as the B&O system in my girlfriend's S4.

I don't buy cars based on the quality of their stereo system, though. But, as others said, in a $50K+ car, I expected better from BMW.

Last edited by graphicguy; 10-29-2012 at 06:54 AM.
Old 10-29-2012, 09:08 AM
Test... 1, 2 ,3

Mein Auto: 2015 320i
Quote:
Originally Posted by golovko View Post
I've downloaded m4a's using the USB port in the glove box and played them before. Found an app on the App Store that can export my music from iTunes. I am 95% sure I had exported it using Apple Lossless
320kbps is the max that your HDD/USB can handle- AAC, WAV or MP3.
Old 10-29-2012, 09:12 AM

Mein Auto: 2012 BMW 335i Sedan
Its hard for me to say, because I have never had the base stereo. Sometimes I think that the HK sounds amazing and sometimes its meh...

It would be very hard for me to risk going with the base stereo unless It was a matter of getting the vehicle or not. Its not that expensive of an option.

It would be very easy to skip the B&O option in the 5 or 6 series based on the $4000+ price tag. That is ludicrous. No B&O for me, thank you.

2008 BMW 335i Retired
2009 BMW 535i Retired

2012 F30 335i sportline (Black Sapphire/Black Leatherette/Black High gloss trim, Technology, Sport Auto, Premium Sound, BMW Apps.)
Old 10-30-2012, 11:15 AM

Mein Auto: 2012 335i
Definitely worth it!!!!!