Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)

F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)
The new chapter in the highly successful story of the BMW 5 Series Sedan (F10) and wagon (F11)

Old 11-13-2010, 04:29 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '08 535xi
Gas Pedal 'Click'

Had this on the E60. When you press the gas pedal all the way down, you can feel a click, almost like you're activating some type of switch. Question: Is this just passive feedback that you've pressed as far as it can go or is it an actual electronic switch that tells the electronics you mean business?
Ads by Google
Old 11-13-2010, 05:24 AM
Everything's Bigger in TX

Mein Auto: 2007 MDX
Kickdown switch.
Old 11-13-2010, 06:29 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 550i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Needsdecaf View Post
Kickdown switch.
Stairway to Heaven.
ED on Sep. 28, 2010: 550i Dark Graphite Metallic, Oyster/Black Nappa Leather, Anthracite Wood Trim, Convenience Package, Driver Assistance Package, Premium Package 1 (Std.) & 2, Sport Package, Sport Automatic Transmission, Dynamic Handling Package, Active Cruise Control, Head-Up Display, Side and Top View Cameras, 4-Zone Automatic Climate Control.

Retired: 2008 528i Space Gray.
Old 11-14-2010, 07:35 AM

Mein Auto: F10 550i M Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by rigel12 View Post
Had this on the E60. When you press the gas pedal all the way down, you can feel a click, almost like you're activating some type of switch. Question: Is this just passive feedback that you've pressed as far as it can go or is it an actual electronic switch that tells the electronics you mean business?
Warp factor 9 activator.
Old 11-14-2010, 08:50 AM
um, i dunno

Mein Auto: 08 535xi
I tried this yesterday, give yourself lots of room to move, cause you are gonna take off like a rocket..*****
Old 11-14-2010, 08:57 AM
.oo=||=oo.

Mein Auto: Bimmers
Quote:
If it's anything like in the E90, then it's passive feedback. The click is just a mechanical detent in the E90 at the end of the pedal travel. The signal being sent to the ECU is the same old pedal position signal, though now at max.
Old 11-14-2010, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hmr View Post
If it's anything like in the E90, then it's passive feedback. The click is just a mechanical detent in the E90 at the end of the pedal travel. The signal being sent to the ECU is the same old pedal position signal, though now at max.
Really? Not in the 5. It is a command for the transmission to downshift hard and for the engine to rev up fast.
ED on Sep. 28, 2010: 550i Dark Graphite Metallic, Oyster/Black Nappa Leather, Anthracite Wood Trim, Convenience Package, Driver Assistance Package, Premium Package 1 (Std.) & 2, Sport Package, Sport Automatic Transmission, Dynamic Handling Package, Active Cruise Control, Head-Up Display, Side and Top View Cameras, 4-Zone Automatic Climate Control.

Old 11-14-2010, 09:28 AM
.oo=||=oo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafa View Post
Really? Not in the 5. It is a command for the transmission to downshift hard and for the engine to rev up fast.
Yup. I've taken the E90 pedal apart once and the only electronics are at the pedal position sensor. The click is just a simple mechanical detent with no electronics. The E90 gas pedal is rather simple--just a spring-loaded arm to which a position sensor is attached. I'd expect BMW uses the same design across their models.

Last edited by hmr; 11-14-2010 at 09:30 AM.
Old 11-14-2010, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Yup. I've taken the E90 pedal apart once and the only electronics are at the pedal position sensor. The click is just a simple mechanical detent with no electronics. The E90 gas pedal is rather simple--just a spring-loaded arm to which a position sensor is attached. I'd expect BMW uses the same design across their models.
Hmmm, I tend to agree with you in that BMW would use the same design. However, I read somewhere in a BMW doc that the fully depressed pedal, past the click, is a command to rev and downshift to the fullest extent available, and when I press hard on the pedal the car does just that. I'll try to remember where I read that, and if I do I will post. In the meantime, let's chalk this one up as an unanswered question, although your argument is based on your actual experience in disassembling the pedal and therefore has more weight than mine, which is based on a recollection of something I read. Furthermore, I can see how the click is just a click and the system would rev up and upshift when fully depressing the pedal, without the need for an additional command from the click.

Last edited by Rafa; 11-14-2010 at 09:46 AM.
Old 11-14-2010, 09:53 AM
.oo=||=oo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafa View Post
.... However, I read somewhere in a BMW doc that the fully depressed pedal, past the click, is a command to rev and downshift to the fullest extent available...
I agree, too, except that I think it's the ECU that controls this when it sees max (or max plus) in the position signal.

Last edited by hmr; 11-14-2010 at 09:55 AM.
Old 11-14-2010, 09:59 AM

Quote:
I agree, too, except that I think it's the ECU that controls this when it sees max (or max plus) in the position signal.
Makes perfect sense. I am now in complete agreement with you. Thanks for enlightening me!

Old 11-14-2010, 10:24 AM
.oo=||=oo.

Moreover, I think kick-down switches are from an older era of non-drive-by-wire cars, which used cables for throttling. I've had to replace one on an older Mercedes once, same car, incidentally, on which I am about to replace the accelerator cable. That's something that won't ever be necessary on newer, drive-by-wire cars.
Old 11-14-2010, 11:53 AM

Mein Auto: F10 550i M Sport
Quote:
The user's manual built into iDrive says this is the kickdown switch.
Old 11-14-2010, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phyzul View Post
Page?

Edit: sorry, you say the User's Manual in iDrive. I'll look it up in the printed version, thanks.

Last edited by Rafa; 11-14-2010 at 12:43 PM.
Old 11-14-2010, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phyzul View Post
OK, I found it. The Manual says "Kickdown is used to achieve maximum driving performance. Press on the accelerator beyond the resistance point at the full throttle position." There is no mention of the word "switch" so it is entirely plausible that the kickdown is passive and the ECU reads the position of the throttle and sets the engine and tranny for max performance, as hmr suggests.

Old 11-14-2010, 12:52 PM
bimmerfest Supporting Member

Mein Auto: 2011 535i
Guys, if it didn't do anything, they wouldn't need the switch or the "click".. Whether its built in to the pedal assembly or a "button" that is pressed via the pedal, it doesn't matter. It is called the "kickdown switch" in the owners manual and it does cause maximum power via available downshift at the given speed/rpm. There is definitely a feel of pressing on something after the pedal reaches the first detent position.

From page 67 of the online manual, also in my printed manual:

"Kickdown
Kickdown is used to achieve maximum driving
performance. Press on the accelerator beyond
the resistance point at the full throttle position."

When they say "beyond the resistance point", they mean the click. That's also what they mean in the break-in instructions when they say to avoid use of the transmission's kickdown mode.

2014 535i Individual | Azurite Black/Amaro Brown Merino | Premium | Cold | PDC | Rear Camera | Anthracite Hdr
Prior: 2011 535i AT | Black Sapphire/Cinnamon | Premium | Heated Sts | Nav | Sirius | Anthracite Hdr & Trim
Prior: 2008 335i 6MT Sedan | Black Sapphire/Terra Leather | Premium | Cold | CA | OEM Alarm
Prior: 2005 330i 6MT | Black Sapphire/Sand Leather | Premium | Cold | UGO | OEM Alarm

Last edited by markl53; 11-14-2010 at 12:54 PM.
Old 11-15-2010, 07:47 PM

Mein Auto: '08 535xi
Well there it is....AWESOME responses to the question but still no solid facts. Is it an electromechanical switch, a passive click or measured by the position of the pedal? This was present on the 2008 E60. When I ask my mechanic, he tells me there is no switch. Funny, I don't believe it. It's there for a reason. I would just like to know exactly how it works and what it tells the car's computer what to do. Guess BMW mechanics don't write much on the forums these days.
Old 11-15-2010, 07:59 PM

Quote:
Well there it is....AWESOME responses to the question but still no solid facts. Is it an electromechanical switch, a passive click or measured by the position of the pedal? This was present on the 2008 E60. When I ask my mechanic, he tells me there is no switch. Funny, I don't believe it. It's there for a reason. I would just like to know exactly how it works and what it tells the car's computer what to do. Guess BMW mechanics don't write much on the forums these days.
LOL

Well, we do not have the thruth and nothing but the thruth, but we have some facts and can make some intelligent inferences. I have indeed formed an opinion based on those facts we have. However, I am with you and would like to know from an authoritative source what the "thruth" is. Is there another, more technical forum where we can pose the question?

Old 05-16-2013, 07:32 AM

Mein Auto: 2013 535i
Bumping up an old thread with just good stuff in it. For once I actually searched instead of starting a new thread. I just had to know about the pedal click. Always feels like I just broke something when I feel it happen. Any other opinions on what is going on? I'll just start calling it "warp mode #9".

2013 BMW 535i ED-11/23/12 Redelivery- 1/12/13
1978 BMW 320i (paused project)
2009 BMW Z4sdrive35i (ret.)
1995 BMW M3 (ret.)
1987 BMW 325i (ret.)
Old 05-16-2013, 09:39 AM

Mein Auto: Tricycle
Turbo Boost!

Old 05-16-2013, 09:40 AM

Mein Auto: 13 ActiveHybrid5
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Transmission_control_unit

Quote:
Kick down switch

One of the most common inputs into a TCU is the kick down switch which is used to determine if the accelerator pedal has been depressed past full throttle. When activated the transmission downshifts into the lowest permissible gear based on current road speed to use the full power reserves of the engine. This is still present in most transmissions though is no longer as necessary to use as the TCU uses the throttle position sensor and rapid rate of change to determine whether a downshift may be necessary, thus there is no need to use the kickdown feature in most circumstances.

......and to celebrate Fast and Furious 6 in theater....

Current:
14 MB E350
13 BMW ActiveHybrid5
Past:
85 Corolla GT-S / 98 MB ML320 / 06 S2000 / 08 EVO X MR / 11 G37S 6MT / 12 MBZ E350 Bluetec
BMW CCA Member #457884

Last edited by ae86pwr; 05-16-2013 at 09:43 AM.