Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)

F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)
The new chapter in the highly successful story of the BMW 5 Series Sedan (F10) and wagon (F11)

Old 04-23-2015, 05:39 PM

Mein Auto: BMW 435I Coupe
How to update enhanced bluetooth/media software?

Hey guys and gals.

New 2015 535I owner here. New to me, it's a dealer car, so never titled before me.

This whole "enhanced bluetooth/USB" thing is as clear as mud for me. I do have a car equipped with enhanced bluetooth(ie the snap in adapter in the arm rest). For me, the music I play through Bluetooth via the iphone 6 to the car sounds WAY better than when I connect the iphone 6 to the car via the regular white lightning cable that comes with the phone. And, if I play Pandora via the BMW Apps, the sound is even worse...vs playing pandora via bluetooth without BMW Apps. My thinking is maybe I have an older software on the car that needs to be updated. Or, maybe I'm missing something else, like this Y cable. Do I even need this thing in a 2015 bmw with enhanced bluetooth and an iphone 6? The car is a dealer car, not brand new. No cables came with the car. AND, if I need to update software how do I do it? All I see is how to update the Snap In Adapter or this Y cable thingy below, which I don't have and didn't think I needed.

http://www.shopbmwusa.com/PRODUCT/32...CHARGING-CABLE

My software in the car is showing me the following versions:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	bmw 1.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	84.9 KB
ID:	505532   Click image for larger version

Name:	bmw 2.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	78.1 KB
ID:	505533   Click image for larger version

Name:	bmw 3.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	100.9 KB
ID:	505534  
Advertisement
Old 04-23-2015, 06:18 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2014 535i MSport
You have the most current update, and no you don't need a "Y" cable.
You can always check for the latest version at bmw.com/update.
Enter the last 7 of your VIN and the site will tell you which update is the latest. From there, you can download the update to a USB drive, plug the usb drive into the center console, then go to software updates in the iDrive menu and tell it to update the software. IDrive will find the software update on your USB drive and install it.

Last edited by Sonicendeavor; 04-23-2015 at 06:24 PM.
Old 04-24-2015, 11:49 AM
slickrick2

Mein Auto: 550I M Sport / exec
Quote:
Originally Posted by webwolf2007 View Post
Hey guys and gals.

New 2015 535I owner here. New to me, it's a dealer car, so never titled before me.

This whole "enhanced bluetooth/USB" thing is as clear as mud for me. I do have a car equipped with enhanced bluetooth(ie the snap in adapter in the arm rest). For me, the music I play through Bluetooth via the iphone 6 to the car sounds WAY better than when I connect the iphone 6 to the car via the regular white lightning cable that comes with the phone. And, if I play Pandora via the BMW Apps, the sound is even worse...vs playing pandora via bluetooth without BMW Apps. My thinking is maybe I have an older software on the car that needs to be updated. Or, maybe I'm missing something else, like this Y cable. Do I even need this thing in a 2015 bmw with enhanced bluetooth and an iphone 6? The car is a dealer car, not brand new. No cables came with the car. AND, if I need to update software how do I do it? All I see is how to update the Snap In Adapter or this Y cable thingy below, which I don't have and didn't think I needed.

http://www.shopbmwusa.com/PRODUCT/32...CHARGING-CABLE

My software in the car is showing me the following versions:

I could see where you are confused. The snap in adapter is only for the iPhone 5 or 5s depending on which one you buy. There is no adapter for the iPhone 6. What the adapter does is it allows you to charge the phone, use some of the apps, car antenna and allow you to operate the phone from the idrive.

Since you have an iPhone 6 your only options are to plug it into the USB drive for charging and connect to the car via the cable or via bluetooth. I would try via bluetooth while connected to the USB to see if that will work. At least your phone will be charging at the same time.

previous:
2008 535xi Sport
2008 535xi Non Sport
2002 525i Sport