Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > F10 / F11 (2011 - 2016)

F10 / F11 (2011 - 2016)
The sixth generation of the BMW 5 Series Sedan (F10) was produced from 2011 - 2016 with LCI updates arriving in 2014. In the US BMW offered a hatchback 5 Series Gran Truismo (F07) and the rest of the world also go a Station Wagon/Touring version F11.

Old 12-18-2015, 02:52 AM
Munich Mark - 2014 535XD

Mein Auto: 2014 535XD (German Model)
Staggered Wheels Setup on X-Drives

Just a note;

Anytime you change Rims and Tires to a different sized setup it needs to be input into the Cars system by a BMW Dealer or I also imagine a Coder can do it too...

I have seen a few cases over here where Folks change Winter Tires or go with big changes with Summer Tires and then they have transfer gearbox issues.

BMW will not be in much of a mood to cover you if this was not done at or in cooperation with an authorized Dealer...

The X Drive system depends a lot on sensitive input data from all 4 wheels and more. Just a suggestion to remember to have this covered as it may save you some unpleasant and costly experiences !
Alpinweiss - Nappa Mocca
AC Schnitzer 30-30 Springs
18" Michelin Pilot Supersports
Advertisement
Old 12-18-2015, 05:40 AM
1oz perception-1# obscure

Mein Auto: 2013 535i XDrive M-Sport
Staggered Wheels Setup on X-Drives

Quote:
Originally Posted by MunichMark View Post
Just a note;

Anytime you change Rims and Tires to a different sized setup it needs to be input into the Cars system by a BMW Dealer or I also imagine a Coder can do it too...

I have seen a few cases over here where Folks change Winter Tires or go with big changes with Summer Tires and then they have transfer gearbox issues.

BMW will not be in much of a mood to cover you if this was not done at or in cooperation with an authorized Dealer...

The X Drive system depends a lot on sensitive input data from all 4 wheels and more. Just a suggestion to remember to have this covered as it may save you some unpleasant and costly experiences !
Yes. The xDrive system pays a lot of attention to the rate of rotation of the axles/wheels, and changing tire diameter affects that. The really bad thing to do is to put tires of varying diameters on different axles - this forces the axles to turn at varying rates, which creates havoc with the AWD traction control computer. A staggered setup is OK on an xDrive system as long as the diameters of the wheels+tires are all the same.

I'm in a PM conversation right now with a guy who bought staggered M3 wheels for his xDrive E60. Somehow the tires have the same profile height on each axle (35) but he has 245 fronts and 265 rears. His car is, predictably, complaining, and he's going to have to buy some 30-profile tires for his back wheels, I think.

Last edited by WilliCO; 12-18-2015 at 07:03 AM.
Old 12-18-2015, 07:23 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2014 535dx; 2013 X5 35i
Something isn't adding up, Mark.

Explain what needs to be input and into what system of the car? Where is it mentioned in the manual? I may have missed it but I certainly don't recall reading anything about it.

I purchased my 535dx with staggered wheels from the factory. They are 245's up front and 275's in the rear. These are my summer tires and run on 19" rims. For the winter months I purchased a set of BMW wheel from the dealer that are 245's on all corners riding on 18" wheels. I have about 20k miles on the summer tires and about 10k miles on the winter setup with no issues. These sizes are mentioned in the manual but there is no mention of reprogramming the car.

It is true of any modern car that you need the same rotational size tired all around. The ABS and driveline (especially for AWD) will complain if one wheel or one axle rotates significantly more than the others. Overly small rotational diameters or overly large rotational diameters will cause problems with final drive ratios but generally this won't do damage if the diameter is consistent on all corners. However, this may cause the engine to feel anemic or breaking to take longer (larger tires). The ABS and driveline will accommodate slight differences due to tire wear and difference in air pressure. The important thing to remember is to keep the rotational size the same on the corners. The car won't know how wide your tire is as long as it's the same diameter.

Current
2014 535d xDrive Imperial Blue|Amaro Brown Ext Merino|M Sport|Cold Weather|4-Zone|Driver Assistance|Driver Assistance Plus with ACC Stop & Go|Dynamic Handling Package|LED Pkg|Luxury Seating|Premium Package|Sport Automatic Transmission|Soft-Close doors|Sunshades|HK Premium Sound|Night Vision
2013 X5 35i TiAg/Blk
Past
2007 530i/6
2002 X5 4.4i
2000 540i/6
1999 M Roadster
1989 535iA
1984 533i/5
1983 533i/5
1977 530i/4
Old 12-18-2015, 07:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImolaRedM View Post

Explain what needs to be input and into what system of the car? Where is it mentioned in the manual? I may have missed it but I certainly don't recall reading anything about it.

I purchased my 535dx with staggered wheels from the factory. They are 245's up front and 275's in the rear. These are my summer tires and run on 19" rims. For the winter months I purchased a set of BMW wheel from the dealer that are 245's on all corners riding on 18" wheels. I have about 20k miles on the summer tires and about 10k miles on the winter setup with no issues. These sizes are mentioned in the manual but there is no mention of reprogramming the car.
You asked Mark and not me - and I'm not sure about the need to reprogram the car either. I do believe that a 275/35/19 tire and a 245/40/19 tire have about the same rotational diameter, so swapping out across those sizes might not confuse your car at all.
Old 12-18-2015, 12:24 PM

Mein Auto: Infiniti G35 coupe
I have never heard of this for any BMW. I have owned and modified a couple of Xdrives with no issue. The roll diameter as stated by others is your only true concern. I'd appreciate any suggestions like this to be supported by some reference points.
Old 12-18-2015, 02:39 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 535i Sport 6sp MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by ImolaRedM View Post

It is true of any modern car that you need the same rotational size tired all around. The ABS and driveline (especially for AWD) will complain if one wheel or one axle rotates significantly more than the others. Overly small rotational diameters or overly large rotational diameters will cause problems with final drive ratios but generally this won't do damage if the diameter is consistent on all corners. However, this may cause the engine to feel anemic or breaking to take longer (larger tires). The ABS and driveline will accommodate slight differences due to tire wear and difference in air pressure. The important thing to remember is to keep the rotational size the same on the corners. The car won't know how wide your tire is as long as it's the same diameter.
+1 I'm with Imola on this.. Same overall diameter on the of the outside of the tire is the key.
Old 12-18-2015, 10:49 PM
Munich Mark - 2014 535XD

Mein Auto: 2014 535XD (German Model)
Just trying to help - sorry !

Hey Guys, just trying to help, if you do not believe ask your Dealer... In Germany any tire changes are input into the Car's Electronics, that simple, in US should be the same.

A helpful tool is found if you Google Tire Size Calculator, etc... and I know that some will also not believe that width, spacers, weight, etc.. also make a difference, although it's marginal...
Alpinweiss - Nappa Mocca
AC Schnitzer 30-30 Springs
18" Michelin Pilot Supersports
Old 12-20-2015, 09:17 AM

Mein Auto: 2014 550i X-drive Msport
Here's a thread you should check out: http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...=transfer+case
Old 12-20-2015, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 550newbie View Post
Here's a thread you should check out: http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...=transfer+case
In that story, either the OP doesn't provide all of the relevant info, or the dealer is being quick to point at aftermarket equipment to deny the warranty claim. Likely both.

Math is not subjective. Math doesn't "depend". If he had a tire setup on all 4 corners of his car where the rotational diameter is the same (or close enough to make no matter, as he suggests), there would be no effect to the transfer case.

See More Related BMW Stories

Tags
gearbox, staggered, transfer, xdrive

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > F10 / F11 (2011 - 2016)
Today's Posts Search