Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)

X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)
E70 BMW X5 produced between 2007 and 2013. Discuss the E70 X5 with other BMW owners here.

Old 10-23-2012, 09:09 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 98 M Roadster
Battery dead, car locked, have to dissemble tailgate?

I was recently reading a thread on Jalopnik about Jeremy Clarkson's Mercedes' battery dying, and someone made an interesting post about an X5 that was locked with a dead battery:

Quote:
No, nothing's wrong. My brother's BMW is the same way. The manual even says to disconnect it if it's going to sit for more than 3 weeks.

Which is absurd. Especially since when he had his X5, the battery is in the trunk. The door locks don't work without the battery installed. You can't open the rear hatch without the battery working...unless you take apart the rear door to get at the manual release. Yes, there are instructions for this.

We found this out the hard way when he let it sit for 4 weeks last year. No battery = disassembling the rear door from the inside out to get at the battery so it can be replaced. Yeah...I'll keep my Toyota.
Anyone know from experience if this is true in the E70 X5's (or the old E53's)? Find this hard to believe...
Ads by Google
Old 10-23-2012, 09:49 AM

Mein Auto: X5
If they were able to get inside, what not just pop the hood and use jumper cables?
Old 10-23-2012, 09:52 AM

Mein Auto: German
Why couldn't you open the door with the manual metal key and pop the hood? Or fold down the seats and go into the trunk?
Old 10-23-2012, 10:02 AM
'12 X5 35d Black-on-Black

Mein Auto: X5d Ski Machine-Blk Betty
Quote:
Originally Posted by TxnBluDvl View Post
I was recently reading a thread on Jalopnik about Jeremy Clarkson's ...
If you have ever watched that show you know by now that Jezza (Jeremy Clarkson) isn't the most "mechanical" guy on that show. If something mechanical needs to be done, he typically has to get someone else to do it so it would not surprise me that he would not realize that (most) Mercedes have key's that would have allowed him to have gained access in omre traditional ways.

'12 X5d Sapphire/Black/Bamboo, Sport (ZAP), Premium (ZPP) & Premium Sound(ZPS) packages: 20" 214's, OEM Hitch
'11 Victory Ness Cross Country!!!
GONE - '06 750Li Sapphire Black/Creme&Black (Loadeddddd)
Old 10-23-2012, 03:09 PM

Mein Auto: A box with 4 circles
Oh jezza, continuously supporting hamster and captain slow's idea of him being a baboon. The keys are there for a purpose lol.

However I was reading on xbimmers or something similar, that the manual door locks, are electronically controlled and dissimilar to a traditional door lock. I don't think that's true, since that is illogical and negates the purpose of a key, but hey?

Why does this matter?
CAUSE EVERY TIME someone says Lexus has better build quality, one should consider what Toyota their Lexus Engine and chassis platform comes out of and how long that part has been tested in the real world!
Old 10-24-2012, 09:53 AM

Mein Auto: 98 M Roadster
Quote:
Originally Posted by ndabunka View Post
If you have ever watched that show you know by now that Jezza (Jeremy Clarkson) isn't the most "mechanical" guy on that show. If something mechanical needs to be done, he typically has to get someone else to do it so it would not surprise me that he would not realize that (most) Mercedes have key's that would have allowed him to have gained access in omre traditional ways.
This wasn't something that Jezza said -- it's something a reader posted on the comments thread relating to his AMG Black's battery dying.

I agree that the most logical thing to do is to jump it from the front terminals under the hood. But, I seem to remember from eons ago that one of my prior BMW manuals said that you should not jump the car from the remote battery terminals under the hood. Unfortunately not near my current car's manual to verify...
Old 10-24-2012, 11:04 AM
Gone for a drive.

Mein Auto: BMW, GM, Fountain
Open the door with the key, pop the hood, attach power to jumper cable points, done. There is no magic between the jump points and the rear mounted battery. Just a long shielded cable.

Now, if the rear lift gate is somehow damaged (regardless of power or not) then you may have to dig into the door's panel to get at the mechanics.
Old 10-24-2012, 11:09 AM
Gone for a drive.

Mein Auto: BMW, GM, Fountain
Quote:
But, I seem to remember from eons ago that one of my prior BMW manuals said that you should not jump the car from the remote battery terminals under the hood.
Then what are the remote battery terminals for??
Old 10-24-2012, 11:29 AM

Mein Auto: Z4 and X5 Diesel
Quote:
Originally Posted by TxnBluDvl View Post
I seem to remember from eons ago that one of my prior BMW manuals said that you should not jump the car from the remote battery terminals under the hood..
The it has changed since then, as my 2010 manual says to jump the vehicle from the terminals under the hood, referring to them as "Starting Terminals."