Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E39 (1997 - 2003)

E39 (1997 - 2003)
The BMW 5-Series (E39 chassis) was introduced in the United States as a 1997 model year car and lasted until the 2004 when the E60 chassis was released. The United States saw several variations including the 525i, 528i, 530i and 540i. -- View the E39 Wiki

Old 10-11-2012, 05:59 PM

Mein Auto: 2010 535xi
FSU replaced, loose fit -- problem?

I replaced my faulty FSU unit . The blower now works just fine. However, The FSU is now a Slightly loose fit. My old hands are not nimble enough to push the unit Firmly in place. Is this a problem? It is in place, but I can rock it just a bit. It didn't snap into place firmly with Clip. It is the right part # based on realOEM for my 2003 530, and it is correctly aligned in general. I will be taking it on a road trip for a torque converter overhaul in a few weeks, but want to be sure I am not hurting anything in the meantime.

Ads by Google
Old 10-11-2012, 07:34 PM
Nor genius Nor ignorant

Mein Auto: 2003 BMW 540i
I feel ya, it's a PITA job.

Do the 2 holes on the FSU correctly get inserted into the "prongs" on the car? I had to fight getting it aligned for awhile.

Make sure you lower the release tab while inserting the FSU back in, you'll know it's fully in when the release tab is stopping the fsu from comming out and if you have darn good eye sight, can see that the two holes are fulled.

When correctly placed it the position will be like this (LINK)

For Sale:
2 Sets of Piano Black E39 Trim $155 [Click]
--Note: (I can wrap Set #3 in gloss or brushed finishes)
1 Pair of E38 OEM Black rear Foot Rests $65 [Click]

Last edited by Dking078; 10-11-2012 at 07:39 PM.
Old 10-11-2012, 07:37 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '97 540i 6 speed
Since it's not seated, there will be air leakage, and possible improper operation. There may even be wind noise.

I suggest you get a neighbor teen the seat the FSU. The clip is strong.

Are you sure you have it properly oriented into the hole? It only snaps in one way, but is easy to install improperly.

Ed in San Jose '97 540i 6 speed aspensilber over aubergine leather. Build date 3/97. Golden Gate Chapter BMW CCA Nr 62319.

Last edited by edjack; 10-11-2012 at 07:38 PM.
Old 10-11-2012, 07:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dking078 View Post
I feel ya, it's a PITA job.

Do the 2 holes on the FSU correctly get inserted into the "prongs" on the car? I had to fight getting it aligned for awhile.

Make sure you lower the release tab while inserting the FSU back in, you'll know it's fully in when the release tab is stopping the fsu from comming out and if you have darn good eye sight, can see that the two holes are fulled.

When correctly placed it the position will be like this (LINK)
I used your photos and text as part of my guide for this job. However, I could only actually see the FSU in a mirror. And I could only get a few fingers in there which blocked the view of coarse. As a senior citizen, it's not the easiest fit for me under the dash. Bit of a miricle I actually got the old one out.

I guess my real concern is whether it will be okay until I get to the major metro Indy shop in a couple weeks. I can then have a younger, more nimble person seat it for me. Don't want to cause issues, especially for the 500 mile road trip to the shop.

Old 10-11-2012, 07:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by edjack View Post
Since it's not seated, there will be air leakage, and possible improper operation. There may even be wind noise.

I suggest you get a neighbor teen the seat the FSU. The clip is strong.

Are you sure you have it properly oriented into the hole? It only snaps in one way, but is easy to install improperly.
I did a 200 mile commute to work yesterday after the repairs in cold, rainy weather and it seemed to work fine. Went from 70 degree weather needing a/c, to later that evening hitting 35 or so in rain. Heat and temp were fine. A/c seemed to work fine. Didn't seem to hear any wind noise difference. Just nervous that something else will fail.

I am hoping that as easy as it was to fix the blower, nothing is going to get screwed up because I can't get the FSU fully seated for awhile.

Last edited by neilw; 10-12-2012 at 02:06 PM.