Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > M Series > E36 M3 (1995-1999)

E36 M3 (1995-1999)

Old 02-06-2013, 07:39 PM
Nice Guy

Mein Auto: 09' BMW 328i; 04' BMW X5
Potential buy... M3

Alright, this is a tricky one. My good friend is selling his 97' M3 (pictures below - not great quality, something happened to my iphone, camera sucks)... that's the easy part of the story. Here is where it gets tricky:

The car has very low miles, however I can't be sure what they are because the last time the car was driven was 5 years ago. As you can see, the tires are no good so I would have to put it on blocks to take the wheels to get tires put on, change battery, get old gas out (somehow) and put some new in, etc. These are also the relatively easy parts.

The hard part is that there is a rat living in the engine compartment. I don't know what it has gone through, I didn't take a bunch of time to examine while in my work clothes. Over time, I know there are natural issues such as engine seals, but the rat could have done endless damage to wires and hoses, not to mention their is rat sh*t everywhere.

Other than that, the exterior doesn't look bad at all. Interior needs some obvious cleaning as well as some window seals and some other things, but those aren't difficult. The rat and anything else that would naturally happen to the engine over that amount of time with no use are my biggest concerns.

So basically, my questions are: What else should I check into on this car? In order to just get it turned on what steps do I take (right now I have... engine oil, gas, battery, what else?)? How do I address the rat and get it the F out of there? What would you value this car at?

Last edited by BBMW528i; 02-06-2013 at 07:41 PM.
Advertisement
Old 02-07-2013, 03:01 PM
Cruising 280 Top Down

Send a message via Skype™ to petriej
Mein Auto: '99 M3 Cab & '05 X5 4.8is
Does anyone search anymore?

Read this.

I would offer $4k and clean it all up. Best way to clean out something like that is to just tear it all out, clean it, then put it back in.

GGC BMW CCA #443004
Join the BMW CCA!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hornhospital View Post
Jared, why don't you just put "It's Giubo" in your sig? Save a lot of typing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by e36 miguel View Post
this jared guy sounds intimidating lol.
2005 X5 4.8is Le Mans/Black/6spd Steptragic
1999 M3 Cabrio TiAg Metallic/Dove Grey/Black 5 Speed Manual
-------------------------------------------------------------------
1997 328iC Schwarz II/K/K 5MT SOLD 5/2012
2004 645Ci Mineral Silver Metallic/Black 6MT RIP 04/2011
Old 02-07-2013, 03:21 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 03 530i Loaded
I would love to buy that car. If its been sitting for that long then they would prob sell cheap. Just like stated above I would tear out the entire interior clean it and put it back in. Regarding the engine I have no clue what should be done. I would pay upto 5k. That color is sexy as hell. Only e36 M3s can pull off yellow while being stock.

Sent from my PG86100 using Bimmer App
Old 02-07-2013, 07:16 PM
Nice Guy

I did search... Was referring to this car and its issues in particular, especially the rat one (which isn't addressed in that link). Other than that, it is very helpful.

Since it is a friend and he obviously doesn't care about the car whatsoever, I was thinking of offering him $1k and attempting to get it back in working order. If I couldn't, I would just sell it for him in the condition I had it in, take my $1k back and give him the rest of the money. I would incur the expenses I take on attempting to get the car running. If I did get it running, I would throw him some more cash. It's a sweet car, just don't know what kind of damage the rat has done or how to even address that. I am thinking of putting on a hazmat and just tearing all the rat stuff out of the engine compartment (along with the rat).
Old 02-07-2013, 11:33 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 03 530i Loaded
damn bro. il give you 2500 for it if it runs. whats the milage?
Old 02-08-2013, 08:22 PM
Nice Guy

It doesn't run now. Needs lots of work, also can't be sure of the mileage, need to swap out the battery and try to get electric on the car in working order before I can even tell exactly how many miles.