Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E39 (1997 - 2003)

E39 (1997 - 2003)
The BMW 5-Series (E39 chassis) was introduced in the United States as a 1997 model year car and lasted until the 2004 when the E60 chassis was released. The United States saw several variations including the 525i, 528i, 530i and 540i. -- View the E39 Wiki

Old 10-11-2012, 06:17 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2002 BMW 540i
Winter driving my E39 540i for the first time

Hello bimmerfest,

Been a little while since I posted. I know this post might be a bit repetitive but i felt it was fitting with the weather we have been receiving. In the three years I have owned the vehicle it has been stored in the garage for the winter. This is the first year I am going to drive it and am a bit hesitant. I have a 2002 BMW 540iA.

Is there anything I should prepare the car for ahead of time, such as any preventative maintenance before the winter, anything i should look out for during the winter, and how to stay safe with this car lol.. I know it has amazing traction and to drive carefully etc.

The other thing i was wondering. I have Michelin Pilot Sport A/S with about 80% thread on them. Would these be acceptable for everyday city driving in the winter? Currently I have BF Goodrich KDW's and I know those definitely won't do. I won't be doing much or any highway driving.

Any info/tips would be much appreciated.

Thanks everyone.
19" Alpina Reps, H&R Sport Springs (50464), Business unit with GROM Ipod Interface, BMW LED 10w AE bulbs, AFE Cold Air Intake Stage 1, Black Kidney Grilles, M5 rear lip, Extreme Bright LED License plate lights

Ads by Google
Old 10-11-2012, 06:25 AM

Mein Auto: 2002 BMW 540i
I guess one thing I did, which might not be the most necessary thing was replace my underbody engine cover. Me being ocd couldn't stand seeing it from a distance all beaten up and damaged. Everytime i park the car and look at the car from a distance it looks like something is hanging down in which it was because it was damaged. So I decided to replace it since i figured it will rip off or get damaged further in the winter anyways.
19" Alpina Reps, H&R Sport Springs (50464), Business unit with GROM Ipod Interface, BMW LED 10w AE bulbs, AFE Cold Air Intake Stage 1, Black Kidney Grilles, M5 rear lip, Extreme Bright LED License plate lights

Old 10-11-2012, 07:39 AM

Mein Auto: 2003 530iA
Get dedicated snow tires. You won't stand a chance once you hit some real nasty winter roads. The Pilot Sports are more like a better all season tire.
TMS underdrive pullies - Stewart WP - PSS9 - Beisan Vanos seals - Zimmerman cross-drilled & Akebono Euro - Deka 649 MF - 55w HID headlights - 35w HID foglights - Hualigan double din - ACS (rep) alu pedals - Euro central storage console - Breyton Magic Racing staggered wheels - M5 bumper - M5 steering wheel - Tint
Stable: e39, e53, e46 & Tribby
Old 10-11-2012, 08:26 AM

Mein Auto: 2001 540iA, titanium
I live in central Iowa and made it through the past 2 winters w/ my 2001 540iA w/ all-seasons only. While snow tires would be best, they are cost prohibitive for me to have an extra set. I have Kumho 4X A/S.
Old 10-11-2012, 08:34 AM

Mein Auto: 03 540iA, 08 Lexus RX350
doru is 100% correct, get a set of designated winter tires. I'm in Winnipg, have an '03 540 and I am in the process of installing my winter wheels (Nokian Hakkapellta R), this will be the third winter that I've had them, they make winter driving a true pleasure, I wouldn't even take the car out of the garage without them in winter. Don't use cost as an excuse, by getting new winter tires you double the life of your summer tires (by not using them). You will be shocked at the difference that a good set of winter rubber provides.
Good Luck
Old 10-11-2012, 09:50 AM

Mein Auto: 1997 740iL / 2006 X5 4.4
I 3rd the motion to look into a set of dedicated winter tires (that suit the conditions that you'll be driving in). They are worth every penny spent...having a winter set...and as others mention...they truly transform your winter driving conditions (if you pick the correct winter tires for your weather & driving conditions & style). The technology such as rubber compound and tread patterns have taken modern winter tires into a totally different realm than winter tires even 10 years ago.

The worst dedicated winter tire is better than the best all season tire when the temps drop below 32 degrees F or 0 degrees C...and/or the white stuff starts the fly and build up...or you get a combination of freezing rain/sleet/snow etc. ASC/DSC is only as good as the traction the tires have....so with dedicated winter tires...ASC/DSC performs better 99% of the time. And in those specific times electronic traction control should be turned off (very deep snow or a slippery incline where forward motion is thwarted due to gravity vs the reduction of forward propultion)...dedicated winter tires will out perform an all season tire with its tread pattern & rubber compound (which remains softer in freezing temps and provides more grip).

You may also want to take the time to lubricate all the door/trunk/engine bay/window gaskets as well as lubricate all the lock cylinders. This will prevent the doors/windows/locks/etc from freezing shut in case you get a lot of rain that then freezes when temperatures drop. As I state yearly when these winter driving thread crop up...I highly recommend the two items below for winter lubing...Tri-flow (which contains TEFLON) for all mechanical locks and hinges etc... and a 100% silicone spray for all gaskets (even the "flocked" gaskets that are next to the windows).
Lubing the gaskets and mechanical lock cylinder & hinges etc will help prevent the annual threads that usually entail words such as:
  • HELP! My door(s) won't close, the locking mechanism is not latching after washing my car and the temps dropped...
  • HELP! My door won't close after a lot of rain/snow/sleet and then the temps dropped to below freezing..
  • HELP! My doors won't unlock...they seem to be frozen shut...
  • HELP! My trunk is cylinder won't turn, it appears to be frozen...
  • HELP! My trunk won't open, it appears to be frozen shut...
Q {BMW CCA Member #191509}
2006 E53 X5 4.4i (Sterling Gray) 12/05 mfg date <<~>> 97 740iL (Arctic Silver) 3/97 mfg date
(SOLD)
99 540iT (Orient Blue) <<~>> 95 525IT (Alpine White)
91 735iL (Schwarz Black) <<~>> 85 325e (Bronzit)

http://imageshack.com/scaled/grid240/822/e38e532ndsigpic.jpg

Last edited by QSilver7; 10-11-2012 at 09:58 AM.
Old 10-12-2012, 01:28 AM
Please, call me Brian.

Mein Auto: 1998 323is
If you can swing it, even a used set of winter tires off Craigslist will be 10x better than any all season you can find. There are cheap deals to be found if you look, and it would go a long way towards protecting your car from any unwanted spin outs on the hwy..