Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)

X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)
Talk about the E83 BMW X3 in this forum!

Old 06-28-2014, 09:10 AM

Mein Auto: X3
Spilled wine in back seat...Help!

This is my first time posting and I need your help. I love my X3 and I love wine! Leaving the wine shop last evening a bottle of white wine broke and poured out instantly in the back seat(driver's side) at the back of the seat cushion. It was gone in a second. What do I do? Can't find any trace of liquid anywhere. I'm not a handy DIY girl, as far as autos go. Have I really messed up the best car I've ever had? Can you help me?
Ads by Google
Old 06-28-2014, 01:07 PM

Mein Auto: can you guess?
Maybe pour a bottle of water so that it will wash away the wine?

I think the seat pulls up with superhuman strength. Then you can see if water puddles. Maybe use a mop after removing the seat?
Old 06-28-2014, 06:36 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2007 X3
Check around the battery in the trunk. Lift the flat panel on the floor.

It can hold a lot of water from a water leak so it stands to reason that wine would pool there.

Lucky it wasn't red.
Old 06-30-2014, 07:44 AM

Mein Auto: '06 X3
The back seat does pull out -- not that hard, but it takes a firm pull. The wine will evaporate eventually -- and in the mean time you can be happy that it was white wine and not a serious Cab or Zin that would stain.
Old 06-30-2014, 08:51 AM

Mein Auto: 2005 X3.0i
Sure, the alcohol will evaporate after a while, but it only constitutes 6 or 7% of the volume of what's in the bottle. The rest is going to leave a sticky, smelly mess which will want to mold.
The water will evaporate, but you'll be left with a sticky mess that you'll want to clean up.
Old 06-30-2014, 09:52 AM

Mein Auto: BMW VOLVO VW
It has probably gone under the seat, and then under the floor covering under the generous soundproofing found on high end cars. Clean up with water but don't sweat it too much. It could have been a Merlot, then the whole Forum would know you didn't watch 'Sideways'
Old 07-01-2014, 07:42 AM

Mein Auto: '06 X3
12-14% of the volume is alcohol, depending on the wine for non-fortified varieties. The rest is going to smell for a time, but with luck you won't be stopped by the police who have attuned sniffers to that sort of thing before it wears off.
Old 07-01-2014, 08:08 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 E92 335i MT
I love cars and I love wine. To the OP lady ...

1. In any case and with any type of mats on the floor, bottles are always better off on the floor behind front seats.

2. Go to VW dealership and insist you want to see a Jetta with optional grocery bag hook installed. Take picture, get one and find a nice BMW mechanic to install it for you with picture suggestion. For life of me I have no clue why BMW thinks its customers are going to drive like grandmas and get all groceries home undamaged. Oh, wait ...

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app

2011 E92 335i 6MT ZSP ZCW (ED May 17th 2010)

2013 118d BMWNA Special Edition. Black on black cloth (yay!), 5 door hatchback, 140hp diesel. Special edition items: factory debadge| "VW", "Golf" and "TDI" badges factory applied | MT | Standard go flat tires | Spare tire (yay!) | No moonroof (yay!) .

Last edited by Mark K; 07-01-2014 at 08:10 AM.
Old 07-01-2014, 11:34 AM

Mein Auto: 2007 X3
The plastic cubby in the trunk is a good size for a liter bottle to stop it rolling around.
Old 07-01-2014, 05:45 PM

Mein Auto: 06 X3 Sport
Here you go

Take it to a good clean up shop, tell them what happened and have them clean it up. This will stink, attract ants and be harder to clean up the longer you leave it.