Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E53 (1999 - 2006)

X5 E53 (1999 - 2006)
The X5 SAV Forum

Old 10-10-2012, 06:07 PM

Mein Auto: X5 3.0 2003
2003 X5 3.0 Occasional misfire/rough running

Hi,

We have a early (pre-facelift) 2003 X5 3.0 automatic. Firstly its an awesome thing, I'm more a fan of small hatches and sports cars and never thought a big hoofing 4x4 would be my thing. That said its agility, interior, and cruise waftability has won me over during the year we have had it and while I'd prefer a manual gearbox and better mpg its still the best car I've ever owned.

It does however suffer from occasional rough running. It was pretty bad (basically it ran of 5 cylinders and threw errors all over the place) but I had the coils and plugs replaced cleaned the idle control value and replaced a broken DISA valve. Since all this was done its improved a lot but it still has the occasional cough and splutter.

Symptoms.
Occasional
Only when hot never cold.
Less likely if driven gently (no med-hard acceleration)
If you switch it off and on again 99% it'll run fine again
In Drive at standstill you can hear the 'fluffing' and it 'pulls'.

It has a leaking cam cover that I'll be replacing but thats a by-thought. I'm thinking a new PCV and associated plumbing is my next shot but before undertaking this painful experience (yeah I've done my homework!) just thought I'd throw it out there to the community.

Any ideas/experiences with similar problems would be appreciated

cheers

Rugsta
Ads by Google
Old 10-11-2012, 10:39 PM

Mein Auto: X5
oil separator ????
Old 10-14-2012, 10:43 AM

Mein Auto: 95 M3
Plus one on the seperator or related hoses. Codes?
Old 10-15-2012, 06:49 PM

Mein Auto: X5 3.0 2003
Thanks guys. I don't have a code reader but you both seem to be thinking the same as me. Best go for a new separator/CCV/PCV I'm assuming these are all the same things yeah one of these puppies <http://clickableautomotive.com.au/cr...separator.html> plus all the associated plumbing.

Obviously I'll get the codes checked first but as its such a occasional problem this may be an issue.
Old 10-15-2012, 07:54 PM

Mein Auto: 95 M3
Codes alone will not condemn the valve or hoses. Usually there are misfire codes and mixture codes like po170. The true test is to either confirm a cracked hose or valve or have a smoke test performed by a shop. This test pumps smoke into the intake and then you simply wait for the smoke to leak out where the breach is. Not a tool you average DIY has laying around.