Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E53 (1999 - 2006)

X5 E53 (1999 - 2006)
The X5 SAV Forum

Old 10-14-2012, 05:42 PM

Mein Auto: Duramax, Camaro, GLK350
Any common, expensive X5 problems? Purchase decision pending - previous threads read!

Hi all, we are considering looking for a used X5 as a car for my son to go to college with. We can't afford a low mileage one, so we are probably looking at 120k+ in terms of miles.

Read this thread here

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...=651109&page=2

and it had good information, but wanted to add some detail and color for our purposes, so here goes.

3.0 model is fine, and manual would be our preference for reliability purposes.

My son is not an expert DIY'er, but I would probably fall in to that category, so we are not so much concerned with small problems that are common and easy to diagnose and repair (common sensor issues, normal maintenance like brakes, belts, etc).

Mostly want to know the reliability history for a manual transmission car in terms of major cost repairs. As an example, we had a V-70 Volvo T5 wagon a few years ago and every single one of them eventually would experience a throttle body MAF failure to the tune of $700 - at about 80k miles. If X5's have something like that I want to make sure it has already been taken care of before we get.

Any input would be greatly appreciated, we can't really afford to make an expensive mistake.

Thanks

Tim
Advertisement
Old 10-15-2012, 05:25 AM
RetiredBum

Mein Auto: '01 X5 3.0 '02VetteVert
A manual trans may be a difficult search, but we have one and there are 'hundreds' out there; they just don't come up on the Jukebox for sale very often.
Ours has ~85k miles and the manual trans still runs fine...from fading memory, the man.trans 'problems' are few and far between as noted on this and that other X5 board.

I would only pursue the 3.0 IL 6 vs a 4.4 V8 on the older model cars. And, any with auto trans is potentially a prob., esp if on its orig trans.

As you noted: window regs, coolant items: reservoir, hoses, water pump, belt pulley idlers, etc.

Also potential longer term prob with the CCV system, esp if the car has been in colder temps or driven short trips.

I have had less than a handful of 'repairs' in 11 yrs/85k miles, but that extra 40k miles on cars you are looking at, may give some pause...I would rec'd a thorough PPI by a very competent BMW oriented Indie before buying. A code check, by a specific analysis BMW 'reader' will alert you to code history and any lurking problems in that dept, too.

Does Fave Son need AWD and that kind of car for the U? Lots of types of cars on the mkt, imo...
GL, mD
'10 Hyundai Tucson for the CEO, & 3 Assorted M'Cycles.
BMW CCA mem. Tarheel Chapter
My Flickr...Scenes,Cars & Road Trip Pics:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/45275375@N00/
Old 10-15-2012, 06:24 AM
Prometheus

Mein Auto: X5 e53 3.0i 2006
Gee, expensive car for the son, and more precarious for a car with miles, but the plus is this: bmws are made considerably well and the parts, if the car has been well looked after should last 10 yrs or more. But for a son going to college, it would be a very safe car to drive. He will be up high on the road, the drive is very stable and hard to spin out of control, and the interior is surrounded by air bags. It will be secure journeys to and from college if safety comes first.
Old 10-15-2012, 06:53 AM

Prometheus, you zeroed in on one of my main reason for considering the BMW over other options - safety. He currently drives a 99 Tahoe which is ok, if a bit crude and fuel thirsty.

Also, strangely enough, it appears used X5's are not that much more than used Tahoe's, Xterra's, Pathfinder's and other options of the same vintage; and I am guessing the X5 probably has a higher value floor.

My experience with European cars let's me know usually the mechanical bits don't wear out quickly, but I also know sometimes they have their quirks. We had pretty good luck with my wife's Volvo's, although I did have to replace all the ignition coils, the previously mentioned MAF, and the front hubs on her T5. No turbo problems though, no transmission issues, and no major suspension issues.

MotorDavid, I am not familiar with the CCV system, what is that? Also, did the AWD model have specific issues? If he winds up going to a NE university he may need snow capability - offroad is not something he does however.

Thanks for the responses guys!
Old 10-15-2012, 08:38 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2001 X5 3.0L
Check for Private Message.
Old 10-15-2012, 08:42 AM

Thanks for the PM, I am getting the distinct message that this is not as troublefree as one would want for a young driver far from home - thanks for the advice guys!
Old 10-16-2012, 07:06 AM
Prometheus

Mein Auto: X5 e53 3.0i 2006
I have had my e53 for 4 years now, a 2006 e53 3.0i, and this is what I have had to spend:

Fuel: 13ltrs per 100km city, 8.5ltrs highway

Servicing:

Replace leaking air pipe: $158AU
Replace torn cv boot on front axle: $500
Replace Wiper washer motor and gromet seal: $200
Replace battery with genuine BMW type: $430AU
Replace bonnet release cable: $230AU
Replace brake pads: $430AU

Annual Service with authorised BMW service centre: $400 - 500 per annum

So all up, around $4000 spent over 4 years. Not too bad, considering size and developing age of the car.
Old 10-16-2012, 12:48 PM

Mein Auto: X5 3.0i
I have a 2004 3.0i with 150k miles on it. I purchased it about two years ago with 95k miles on it. I purchased with a warranty. After doing no research prior but only had driven one of my friends X3's, I pulled the CarFax on it and it told me everything I needed to know that I was comfortable in my purchases. I did the best inspection I could, it helped that I aslo knew the GM at the place I purchased it from. It was purchased in near me, used as a company vehicle and had all of it's maintenance work completed at BMW. With the warranty I had to replace the front driver CV and boot and a few other minor things the dealer completed. Since then, I have only had to replace minor things, belts, DISA and 2nd MAF sensor. Car handles and drives like a champ, Handles well in the snow. Since I had a Subaru prior, the AWD is hands down the best, and with the weight of the X5 helps. I even tow my Harley once in a while and get better gas milage before my purchase.

It's been one of the best vehicle I've owned yet and easy to work on!

Mud~

Last edited by Mudnyrey; 10-17-2012 at 11:00 AM.