Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E39 (1997 - 2003)

E39 (1997 - 2003)
The BMW 5-Series (E39 chassis) was introduced in the United States as a 1997 model year car and lasted until the 2004 when the E60 chassis was released. The United States saw several variations including the 525i, 528i, 530i and 540i. -- View the E39 Wiki

Old 10-11-2012, 06:24 AM

Send a message via Skype™ to IanAntih3r0
Mein Auto: 530i Sport
Cool carbon question and AC problems

So last year I replaced my brakes with stop tech ss lines, cool carbon pads and brembo rotors. After 2-5 days the brakes started getting a really loud squeal.(specifically at low speed) I re applied anti-squeal compound and went through the break in process again. After multiple attempts I replaced the rotors again ( had extras laying around) is this a common problem for the cool carbon pads? Am I missing something.

Also recently I had my AC compressor, and my aux fan replaced. For whatever reason the car still blew out all of the freon after working fine for over a week. I assume it's a problem with the high side pressure. Any suggestions... I'm sure my Indy is getting tired of seeing me this much.
Advertisement
Old 10-11-2012, 08:17 AM
Past Sponsor

Mein Auto: Many
All you can do is have your A/C leak checked maybe have some die put in the system it will make the leak easier to find. As far as the brakes go did you lubricate your caliper slides good? If they don't move freely your pads might not have a good even contact with the rotor. They may even stay in contact with the rotor more then they should as in a sticking situation.
Old 10-11-2012, 02:13 PM

Send a message via Skype™ to IanAntih3r0
Mein Auto: 530i Sport
The AC was leak checked and originally we found no leaks after that we stumbled upon a high pressure leak out of the compressor. Replaced that and now all (should be) ok.

As for the pads. I had them re-lubed just to be sure and it continued to happen roughly a week after that was done. Ironically now that I am addressing the problem bav auto has released the "updated" cool carbon pads. Other thoughts I'm all ears
Old 10-11-2012, 02:34 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '97 540i 6 speed
After several attempts to eliminate brake squeal on BMWs, I hit upon the solution: The backing plates must have insulators made of a tough fibre fabric. The absolute best are the insulators found on OEM pads. At one time, I even cut some out of a thin sheet of Teflon.

Failing that, a trip to an old-fashoined auto parts store should net you some insulators.

I'm surprised your mechanic dodn't suggest this.

Ed in San Jose '97 540i 6 speed aspensilber over aubergine leather. Build date 3/97. Golden Gate Chapter BMW CCA Nr 62319.

Last edited by edjack; 10-11-2012 at 02:35 PM.