Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X1 E84 (2011 - current)

X1 E84 (2011 - current)
The new to the US BMW X1 will arrive at BMW dealers in the fall of 2012 as a 2013 model year. Get your X1 28i with either sDrive (RWD) or xDrive (AWD) or get the US exclusive I6 N55 powered X1 35i dDrive.

Old 10-11-2012, 07:53 AM

Mein Auto: Acura MDX
standard vs HK stereo

Looking to order an X1 and am not sure if the HK stereo is worth the extra $. Can anyone comment on their experience. I am an avid Jazz fan and would look forward to hooking up my ipod. thanks
Advertisement
Old 10-11-2012, 10:02 AM

Mein Auto: X6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richman View Post
Looking to order an X1 and am not sure if the HK stereo is worth the extra $. Can anyone comment on their experience. I am an avid Jazz fan and would look forward to hooking up my ipod. thanks
The HK stereo rocks!!!
Old 10-11-2012, 10:18 AM

Mein Auto: Toyota
I am considering that upgrade as well. Common consensus on the forum seems to be "bring your music and try it out yourself."
Couple reasons for that:
-Music quality is very subjective.
-The baseline speakers good (per multiple reviews).
-The upgrade isn't cheap.

I will post a reply when I get to try it out myself. Will probably try out multiple kinds of music, including jazz, classical, trance/techno, pop.
Old 10-11-2012, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by faustas View Post
I am considering that upgrade as well. Common consensus on the forum seems to be "bring your music and try it out yourself."
Couple reasons for that:
-Music quality is very subjective.
-The baseline speakers good (per multiple reviews).
-The upgrade isn't cheap.

I will post a reply when I get to try it out myself. Will probably try out multiple kinds of music, including jazz, classical, trance/techno, pop.
All Music sound GREAT on this system and Im a major HI FI buff and Im very picky when it comes to sound and video! Although each person likes different things but is it worth the upgrade ? YES!

Last edited by Beamerboi; 10-11-2012 at 10:30 AM.
Old 10-11-2012, 10:56 AM
Custom User

Mein Auto: X1
Here's how this thread will go:

Normal people will say the standard system sounds great.

Then audiophiles will say the standard is crappy, go for HK.

Then "real" audiophiles will say the HK is crappy too, so go for standard then upgrade aftermarket.

I say, go with your favorite music to the dealer and have a listen. This is one of those things in life you have to experience yourself...
Old 10-11-2012, 11:00 AM

LOL Im a "real" audiophile and think it sound is great for the amount of $ your spending on an upgrade thats factory installed !
Old 10-11-2012, 08:15 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: BMW
The_Fox is correct. If the standard system is not good enough for you, try the HK. If that is not good enough, fit a third party upgrade (usually easier if the better system is the starting point).

Me, I found the standard system a little boxy and went for the HK. It is fine but not the best. I am a very fussy audiophile having designed loudspeakers for a larger well know British hi fi manufacturer. However I am aware that just because I do or do not like it, it does not mean you will agree.

2012 Space Grey 528i MSport
2013 Valencia Orange X1 xDrive28i
Old 10-12-2012, 05:28 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 X3 XDrive 28i
it is sad to say but the truth is, most of the cheap entry level compact cars have better sound system than BMW stock system. One has to upgrade the H/K system to get decent sound quality.
E90 2007
E46 2005
Old 10-12-2012, 05:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IAS View Post
it is sad to say but the truth is, most of the cheap entry level compact cars have better sound system than BMW stock system. One has to upgrade the H/K system to get decent sound quality.
What reviews/articles do you have to back that up or compare them side by side?
Old 10-12-2012, 05:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by faustas View Post
What reviews/articles do you have to back that up or compare them side by side?
no reviews or article needed, personal experience and ownership of many vehicles. the sound system were lot better in those vehicles which were lot cheaper than BMW. What I am trying to say is expectation level is much higher when you are in BMW, first time buyer of 3 series will be surprised how thin stock radio is, if he/she did not paid attention to stock sound system. my 07 3 has better stock system than 2008 -2009 MY 3's, when i picked the 2011 i made sure i get H/K with it.
A $40K+ should not ask to shell out $1K for sound system.
E90 2007
E46 2005
Old 10-12-2012, 09:12 PM

Mein Auto: BMW
I think BMW have been listening. I would agree that BMW had one of the worst standard sound systems in a car I had ever heard (I once traded a BMW after 3 months because the system was so bad, the car drove well, but I need all functions to be up to the same standard) and I subsequently always ordered the so called Premium system in the past (we are on our 12th BMW). However I just took delivery of a 2012 5 series and the standard sounds system is really quite good (some people like a lot of digital processing and a lot of power, but I am happy without the digital processing and the power of the standard system is more than adequate, the 5 series is a quiet car). Good enough that I was not willing to spend the money on the so called Premium system (they now offer a B & O option at some ridiculous price and B & O have never been considered Hi Fi, more form over function - but again I am biased).

However the basic system in the X1 is not as good as I need, but certainly better than in the past as a standard system from BMW. So we ordered the HK and it is quite decent. Not Hi Fi by any stretch of the imagination, to me at least, but it is respectable.

2012 Space Grey 528i MSport
2013 Valencia Orange X1 xDrive28i
Old 10-12-2012, 09:45 PM

We could all give what we think is good the best or just real bad but its really up to each individual ears and sound taste and decide what works for them and their budget. Go to a dealer that has and upgraded stereo and hear it before you buy it or order it... simple

or do this:
http://www.bavsound.com

Last edited by Beamerboi; 10-12-2012 at 09:48 PM.
Old 10-13-2012, 07:48 AM
1oz perception-1# obscure

Mein Auto: 2013 535i XDrive M-Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beamerboi View Post
We could all give what we think is good the best or just real bad but its really up to each individual ears and sound taste and decide what works for them and their budget. Go to a dealer that has and upgraded stereo and hear it before you buy it or order it... simple

or do this:
http://www.bavsound.com
I've got the Bavarian Stage I upgrade in my E60. It's worthwhile upgrade, but I found that the weak link in the E60 standard audio setup was the amp. It was horribly underpowered - something like 15 watts to the 4" speakers throughout the car and 40 watts to the subs. That amp wasn't going to make any speaker sound good.

I was able to DIY upgrade the amp too with a Blaupunkt OEM replacement amp that's no longer available, and now my audio sounds pretty good. But I spent well more than the Logic 7 upgrade would have cost, plus several Saturdays in the garage.

I'm a stereo guy - but in the future I'm going to find a car with the upgraded audio and call that good.
Old 10-13-2012, 11:17 AM

Mein Auto: 2006 BMW X3 3.0i (manual)
Quote:
Slightly off topic, but I do wonder how long BMW can keep this up. The standard sound system in a $30K VW GTI is miles better than the standard in a $45K 328 or X1.

I've owned two BMWs and a Mini and upgraded to the HK stereo every time. For me, without question, it was worth it.

-James
San Francisco, CA
Old 10-13-2012, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamthewalrus View Post
Slightly off topic, but I do wonder how long BMW can keep this up. The standard sound system in a $30K VW GTI is miles better than the standard in a $45K 328 or X1.

I've owned two BMWs and a Mini and upgraded to the HK stereo every time. For me, without question, it was worth it.

-James
San Francisco, CA
Fair point, although I think they are doing it because they know they can. Are you going to buy a GTI because it has a better stereo? Me either.
Old 10-14-2012, 02:01 PM

So I went to the dealership and listened to an X1 inside the dealership with HK and one without. Didn't get a chance to listen to them white test driving outdoors due to time constraints.
Music I listened to:
Classical Piano Concerto
Dance/Electronic Music (beat/bass heavy)

Impression with the non-HK sound quality:
-does the job well enough if you are the everyday listener.
-bass is ok. not overwhelming (I don't think one will complain the bass being weak unless you want everyone in the car and a block away to listen to your beat.)
-very much stock quality type audio system.

Impression with the HK sound quality:
-noticeably crisper sound in mid and high tones. But it's a different story if I will be able to tell while driving on the highway.
-bass seems a bit stronger, not the mirror shattering kind.
Old 10-14-2012, 05:27 PM

The sound is crisper and more detailed in H/K system, BMW should listen to customer $900 is too much to ask on a car already $40K.
E90 2007
E46 2005
Old 10-15-2012, 02:59 AM

[QUOTE=wilfredes;7134412]Normal people will say the standard system sounds great.

Normal? so I guess Im abnormal?
Old 10-15-2012, 10:58 AM

Mein Auto: 2010 528xi
The ultimate driving machine deserves the ultimate audio experience, there is no reason they can't offer an awesome system for $900.00
It's an upgrade from the standard, but could be better IMO
2003 330cic Jet Black / Natural Brown - retired
2001 X-5 3.0 Titanium Siver /Black - retired
BMW CCA Member
Old 10-15-2012, 11:41 AM

Mein Auto: 2014 328i Sport Line MT
Quote:
I disagree. The std system in my 2011 328i is pretty good and is crisp with some separation. It's definitely not high end but far better than the system in my wife's Honda Insight. I also travel a lot and am usually renting upgraded cars. My car's system is definitely better than in the cars I rent.
Old 10-16-2012, 12:09 AM

Mein Auto: N/A
Is it such a big deal to replace the stock X1 speakers and amp as a DIY project? I wouldn't think so. I did it for my current vehicle. HK is a surround sound system; most audiophiles distain surround sound. I'd rather choose my own components and install them, which is my plan at this point. Anyone else taking this route?
Old 10-16-2012, 06:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Genname View Post
Is it such a big deal to replace the stock X1 speakers and amp as a DIY project? I wouldn't think so. I did it for my current vehicle. HK is a surround sound system; most audiophiles distain surround sound. I'd rather choose my own components and install them, which is my plan at this point. Anyone else taking this route?
It's possible, but a little more complicated than you'd expect.

The BMW audio system is integrated with everything else in the car that makes sound, and the "head unit" is part of the car's computer system. By result, the connections into and out of the OEM system are more than speaker-level or preamp lines. The largest challenge in upgrading the stock system lies in preserving all of the car's functionality not exactly connected to the stereo system.

And of course it only takes one look at the dash to tell that we're not able to toss some Alpine aftermarket unit in there.
Old 10-16-2012, 09:27 AM

Mein Auto: N/A
Right, leave the "head unit" and replace the amp(s), crossovers and speakers, pretty much one-to-one. You'd be stuck with their DAC, I suppose, but that should be OK. The audio upgrade packages on the market just seem to be sets of matched components and installation instructions. True?

I've already been looking at aftermarket replacements for iDrive/nav, because I will not pay $2,500 for the Technology package. There are Chinese products for $500 that seem to offer about the same feature set. In terms of the interface between iDrive and the audio system, am I correct that the audio system owns its own UI and merely sends a video signal to the iDrive display? That is, what BMW calls iDrive consists of a display, controller, wire harness and top level menu system, and that each menu option knows how to format its own data and ouput video and audio signals?
Old 10-16-2012, 10:26 AM

Mein Auto: 2009 335xi 6MT
Specifically regarding the X1, I really didn't like the base stereo. As I mentioned in another post somewhere, the biggest downfall of the base stereo for me was the sound staging. It sounded like it was coming from the area around my waist. So I went with the HK, without actually having heard it. So glad I did! Got the car last week, and the speaker on the dash makes all the difference in the world. I would say the HK sounds better in the X1 than it did in my 2009 335 coupe, a little tighter at the bottom end and crisper overall.

Even "normal" people will hear the difference between the base stereo and the HK stereo in a side by side comparison. It's really a question of how important that difference is to you. If you care about music at all, get the HK (or go after market, if so inclined).

Previous:
2013 X1 35 MB/Black/ULT/CW/HK/Lighting/Paddles
2009 335i xDrive Coupe Black/SB MT/SP/PP/CWP/PDC/Logic7/iPod
2004 325iT SB/Black SP/PP/CWP/PDC/HK/Step/Xenon
2006 X3 SG/Black PP/CWP/Xenon
2006 330i SG/Terra MT/SP/PP/HS/CA
2004 330i SG/Black MT/SP/PP/HS (my
2001 325i SG/Black MT/SP/PP/SF/Xenon
Old 10-16-2012, 01:27 PM
Scheiße!!!

Mein Auto: E30 M3
Does HK require the Tech Pkg? It doesn't on the order sheet I believe. However, on BMW USA's online configurator, it automatically adds the tech pkg.

1989 M3
1999 323iC
2005 330i ZHP
2014 328d xDrive Sports Wagon (ED 7/'14)
2013 X1 sDrive28i

Retired
2013 X5 xDrive35d
2012 128i
2009 MINI Cooper
2010 128i
2006 330i
2004 325i
1991 325i