Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)

X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)
E70 BMW X5 produced between 2007 and 2013. Discuss the E70 X5 with other BMW owners here.

Old 10-12-2012, 01:08 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: Holden Wagon & Sedan
Really??? Maybe the color on my monitor is off? When I think of black smoke I think of the sooty stuff coming out of my truck when its under a load, and that is definitely not the same.

Like this

Jay
Old 10-12-2012, 01:12 PM

Someone has to be local, we need this cleared up ASAP.

Jay
Old 10-12-2012, 01:22 PM
Resident Curmudgeon

Mein Auto: '12 X5 35d/E39M5/996TTX50
Here's a car running on oil (not a diesel)

Not black smoke. Dark though.

Old 10-12-2012, 01:35 PM

Mein Auto: X5
It smells really bad like burning of some plastic/rubber. The smoke is black. I have contacted BMWUSA and sent them the link to this thread and youtube video. I agree that it is not normal with such an expensive vehicle. I spent lot of money on this vehicle not to go through this. I feel so bad and probably it is my first & last BMW. Thanks everyone for your prompt response and comments.
Old 10-12-2012, 01:39 PM

Mein Auto: X5 35i Sport Sapphire
So you are POSITIVE its not water vapor / condensation and is completely black smoke correct?

Retired

1999 Prelude SH / Pearl White /
2007 X3 Sport / Jet Black /
2010 X5 Sport / Sapphire Black /

Current
2013 X5 M-Sport / M-Power / Alpine White /
Old 10-12-2012, 01:46 PM

I have tested it in the morning, evening and day time. Current temperature has been around 65-70 and this vehicle is parked inside garage. It is definitely not water vapour/condensation. I have another vehicle (not BMW) which I parked outside yesterday, that vehicle doesn't have the problem of black smoke or bad smell. It is something inside this vehicle.
Old 10-12-2012, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Genius04 View Post
I have tested it in the morning, evening and day time. Current temperature has been around 65-70 and this vehicle is parked inside garage. It is definitely not water vapour/condensation. I have another vehicle (not BMW) which I parked outside yesterday, that vehicle doesn't have the problem of black smoke or bad smell. It is something inside this vehicle.
Thanks, temps definitely rule out condensation.

Good luck, I'd find another shop, like many others have suggested.

Jay
Old 10-12-2012, 02:32 PM

Mein Auto: A box with 4 circles
Op follow the advice on contacting customer relations of BMWUSA. Now Im using an iPad, which is probably the best resolution I currently have to work with, and I think heres some words of wisdom that may help your case out. (some of it has been already suggested)

1) you do have two exhausts outlets, only one is suppose to work when not under load
2) your video is great, however you have two issues that might make your lazy SA/tech say its under normal specs
A) your vehicle is black, and so is your Tarmac that you are taking the video upon. You are complaining of BLACK SMOKE
Solution: take the video on possible a light colored Road (possibly cement) it will highlight the problem better.if you cant find any road, possibly add some white computer paper underneath the area of the exhaust and show them that your actually seeing what your complaining about.

3) now the oil burning color usually is signified by the presence of blue smoke. However as ARD posted it seems plausible. Also do you smell an oil burning smell or any other funky odor from the exhaust? If so document that or bring it up.

4) your cars service monitors are designed to detect most leaks, however there not foolproof.

5) if your turbos are leaking or something of that sort, I would try to lemon that as fast possible, since I'm pretty sure that this would be a pita later in the life of the vehicle. Replacement engines aren't really worth the hassle.

6) also you said the black smoke subsides after a while, could you clarify that a bit more.

7) only disclose what you need to disclose to get the job done, no more no less.

Why does this matter?
CAUSE EVERY TIME someone says Lexus has better build quality, one should consider what Toyota their Lexus Engine and chassis platform comes out of and how long that part has been tested in the real world!
Old 10-12-2012, 02:33 PM

Mein Auto: X5 35i Sport Sapphire
Sorry to hear, I stand correct, its a major engine issue, have them take the lemon back.

Retired

1999 Prelude SH / Pearl White /
2007 X3 Sport / Jet Black /
2010 X5 Sport / Sapphire Black /

Current
2013 X5 M-Sport / M-Power / Alpine White /
Old 10-12-2012, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ard View Post
Here's a car running on oil (not a diesel)

Not black smoke. Dark though.

The title says epic diesel fail?

Why does this matter?
CAUSE EVERY TIME someone says Lexus has better build quality, one should consider what Toyota their Lexus Engine and chassis platform comes out of and how long that part has been tested in the real world!
Old 10-12-2012, 06:33 PM
Resident Curmudgeon

^^ the term 'dieseling' happens when the motor has a source of fuel (in this case overfilled oil) and keeps running. AFAIK, there never was a diesel Previa.
Old 10-12-2012, 06:51 PM

Didn't know that tidbit.

The previa however was offered with a diesel in other markets, and considering the steering wheel is on the wrongside it may have been a diesel, dieseling (see what i did there lol)

Why does this matter?
Old 10-12-2012, 10:10 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 TURBO X5 35i
If All Fails, Get an Attorney fast!!!
Old 10-12-2012, 11:46 PM
Ac***** ******

Mein Auto: .
Did you check the oil level? Although it doesn't look like burning oil, probably some kind of sealant (or something else that got "stuck" inside the exhaust system) is "burning off"... Or maybe the fuel mixture is too "rich" due to bad O2 sensor (although that should've caused some error message). I'd say just drive it more, see what happens (maybe it'll finally throw some error code) - you always have a warranty to cover it. Just make sure not to "lock" your doors while driving so you can quickly get out of car if more smoke will appear at different places

Last edited by Ripred; 10-12-2012 at 11:59 PM.
Old 10-13-2012, 12:50 AM
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by rattmann View Post
If All Fails, Get an Attorney fast!!!
That is really bad advice from someone who clearly has NOT paid legal bills.

OP, dont let everyone spin you up and stress you out. I am confident the car can easily be fixed- the hard part is finding an SA to really do their job.

GL
Old 10-13-2012, 01:42 PM

Quote:

OP, dont let everyone spin you up and stress you out. I am confident the car can easily be fixed- the hard part is finding an SA to really do their job.

GL
I guess
I know I had alots of fun with BMW customer service and SA and all in the middle, when my rear hatch glass fell out twice followed by rusting inside out.

But BMW put me in a new 2011 with incredible deal after defective 2008 buy back.

I had 2 attorneys lined up just in case..
Old 10-13-2012, 02:27 PM
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by rattmann View Post

I had 2 attorneys lined up just in case..
Two? You really dont need any.

Which is what you proved in saying they were 'lined up' but not actually used.
Old 10-13-2012, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Two? You really dont need any.

Which is what you proved in saying they were 'lined up' but not actually used.
I have Pre Paid Legal
Safety of the X5 was compromised.
I only gave his office address , phone and name and BMW learned not to mess with me.
Old 10-13-2012, 03:16 PM
2 Bimmers R better than 1

Mein Auto: 12 MSPT 535 & MSPT X5 5.0
So Sorry to hear about your car trouble...So so disappointing especially w a new car.
A guy on an MB forum told me a while back,,there a millions of millions of parts in hundreds of thousands of cars a year produced, right now You happen to have some of those defective parts in your car.
I know this sucks but its a reality sometimes no matter how much we pay for a car.

When MBUSA repurchased my vehicle i had to press them over and over again, but not until the car was brought in over and over again did they finally step up to the plate. 8 times in a yr
My drive belt broke multiple times on my ml63. When i stated that my family and i had had the worst year in a vehicle and we felt unsafe thats when they agreed to repurchase the car.

Honestly and i think ARD and others will agreed.....
In most cases the (1)vehicle needs to be brought back a bunch of times to the same dealer
(2) continually press them to fix the issue and immediately inform them if the issue is not fixed
(3)WHEN BMW gets to the point that the car is costing them more to fix than financially its worth they will take the car back.

You see every time you bring ur car into the dealer they get $$$ from BMWUSA for attempting to fix the car. Your dealer will honestly take your x5 back 100 and try to fix it, it is BMWUSA that will ultimately make the call.

In Yiddish theres a word called Hocking! that means u wont stop bothering someone.

Your going to need to do this tactic w BMWUSA.

Hope this help ROB

2012 Msport X5 +Prem Sound+Cold Weather+Top/Side Cameras+Soft Close Doors+BMW Apps
Old 10-13-2012, 09:46 PM

Quote:

GL
I think that's sensible advice. However the advice depends on the person.

If your a individual who is able to stand strong, even when subpar SAs say your car is under normal specs without even checking then yes, you dont need a lawyer, its a waste. Your diligence, and resistance to leave the situation without proper intervention will probably cause BMW to side with you and rectify the situation

However if you easily succumb to someone elses thoughts on your problems, then you might consider a lawyer (doesnt mean you have to get a lawyer) you can use the extra leverage.

GL

Why does this matter?
Old 10-13-2012, 10:11 PM

I'm curious
Did someone at BMW actually tell the OP
This is normal and ok and he left a dealership
I would have left my car there until the problem was resolved
Ie: no smoke at all
Bottom line
No excuses!

2012 Msport X5 +Prem Sound+Cold Weather+Top/Side Cameras+Soft Close Doors+BMW Apps
Old 10-14-2012, 01:54 AM

I believe an exhaust emission test could reveal any faults, the on board systems not picking up..
Old 10-15-2012, 08:26 AM

Thanks everyone for your valuable suggestions, comments and advice. The smell of burning plastic/rubber or ??? is so bad from day 1, I did not dare to drive this vehicle over the weekend. I am hoping that it gets resolved by itself in few days/weeks but I will admit, it is/was not a very pleasant experience buying a BMW. I could not enjoy this vehicle and ended up in this situation even before I drove this vehicle. Perhaps, I should have left this vehicle at dealership when I noticed the burning smell of plastic while going through the features of the vehicle.

Anyway, I have taken all your suggestions and will keep you all posted of the resolution. Thanks!
Old 10-15-2012, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Genius04 View Post
Thanks everyone for your valuable suggestions, comments and advice. The smell of burning plastic/rubber or ??? is so bad from day 1, I did not dare to drive this vehicle over the weekend. I am hoping that it gets resolved by itself in few days/weeks but I will admit, it is/was not a very pleasant experience buying a BMW. I could not enjoy this vehicle and ended up in this situation even before I drove this vehicle. Perhaps, I should have left this vehicle at dealership when I noticed the burning smell of plastic while going through the features of the vehicle.

Anyway, I have taken all your suggestions and will keep you all posted of the resolution. Thanks!
Have you contacted BmWUSA like we recommended?
and if so have they openened a claim for you?

these r the first two steps

ROB

Old 10-15-2012, 09:45 AM

Last week I contacted BMWUSA twice and sent an email with link to youtube video and this thread. On the phone I was told, some one will contact within 1-3 business days and email says "Our records indicate your case has been escalated. A representative will be in touch with you shortly to further assist you."