Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)

E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
The E9X is the 4th evolution of the BMW 3 series including a highly tuned twin turbo 335i variant pushing out 300hp and 300 ft. lbs. of torque. BMW continues to show that it sets the bar for true driving performance! -- View the E9X Wiki

Old 01-17-2011, 10:06 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: VW
Question What product do you use to maintain the Dakota Leather?

What product do you use (suggest to use) to maintain the Dakota Leather. And how often do you use it?
Advertisement
Old 01-17-2011, 10:10 PM
8D

Mein Auto: White paint cars
I use BMW leather care lotion. It doesn't make the leather glossy. Can't comment on how well it removes stains since I haven't used other products. But some scrubbing removed a black stain at the back seat. And here's a thread that you might find helpful:

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=512993

Past:
2011 328i Cabriolet with Alpine White with Coral Red leather
2007 ES350 with Tungsten Pearl with black leather
Old 01-17-2011, 10:37 PM

Send a message via AIM to meeksdigital
Mein Auto: 2011 335d
I use Zymol Leather Treat every 4-6 weeks on the leather to condition it, and Meguiar's Gold Class Leather Spray to clean it in between treatments.

The important thing is to make sure your leather is warm before applying conditioning products such as the Zymol. This makes a HUGE difference - the leather actually absorbs the product instead of the stuff just sitting on top making a mess of your clothes and not doing its job. I leave my seat warmers on and the heater blasting for 10-15 minutes while I detail the outside of the car, then apply the leather treatment to the warm interior... it looks, smells, and feels great when finished!

In between cleanings, the Meguiar's Gold Glass Spray makes for a nice gentle cleaner, and easily removes anything that has gotten on the leather - most notably slight coloration from my jeans on the driver's seat. I use this a couple of times a week as needed to maintain my leather.

Works out nicely! Enjoy.
Old 01-18-2011, 06:45 AM

Mein Auto: 2007 335i Coupe 6MT
Zymol each season, or early spring and late fall....same time I detail it.
Old 01-18-2011, 09:14 AM
Test... 1, 2 ,3

Mein Auto: 2015 320i
BMW Leather Cleaner.
Old 01-18-2011, 09:31 AM
Cloud Climber

Mein Auto: 328I conv montego blue
Zaino products
Old 01-18-2011, 09:33 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 E91 328xiT
BMW Leather Care Kit - I use it monthly. Works great.
Old 01-18-2011, 10:39 AM

Mein Auto: 325
highly suggest Zaino Z9/Z10... you will love the real leather smell too.
Old 01-18-2011, 12:08 PM

Mein Auto: 328i Convertible
1Z einszett Leather Care Lederpflege

Lederpflege' Leather Cleaner and Leather Conditioner

In a word, it's one of the finest leather care lotions I've ever used. It applies easily and dries within moments to a beautiful matte finish.

Today, many leather producers treat leather in a variety of colors and textures with a protective finish to prevent everyday wear and tear and add overall longevity. This process results in finished leather. While finished leather requires less care, it still requires attention. Leather Care is formulated to specifically address the care and maintenance of finished leather. Its gentle formula utilizes special cleaners and natural waxes to clean and condition the surface to prevent cracking and maintain leather luster. Use on interior car fittings, motorcycle cladding, handbags, and boots. Easily removes dirt, grease, and body oil from the finish without leaving a greasy film. High-quality care components protect the leather surface from becoming brittle and restore the leather to its original softness. Does not leave powdery residue around stitching or perforated leather. Not for use on suede, nude leathers, or full analine leather (unfinished leather).

DETAILING LEATHER UPHOLSTERY

There are two cleaning-related factors that can cause your leather to prematurely wear. The first is dirt and the second is oil from your skin. The oil from your skin is actually the most damaging to your leather. This is particularly true if you wear shorts or a tank top, and have recently applied lotion or a sunscreen to your skin. Take this into consideration when determining your cleaning schedule.

Unlike fabric or vinyl upholstery, leather should be cleaned one section at a time. This means that once you have applied your cleaner or conditioner to one area, you should fully wipe down that area then proceed to the next, and so on. Work on an area no larger than 2-3 square feet at a time.

Follow these steps to clean your leather:

1. Spray your leather seat faces and door panel faces with Plastik-Reiniger one section at a time. Work the cleaner in using a sponge. If your leather is heavily soiled, use an upholstery (interior detailing) brush.

2. Dry the leather thoroughly with a soft, dry Uber All Purpose Microfiber towel.

3. Allow leather to dry for 20 to 30 minutes before applying leather conditioner.

4. After your car's leather has dried, apply Einszett Lederpflege. Just like cleaning, apply leather conditioner one section at a time using a terrycloth applicator pad. Allow the conditioner to soak in for a minute or two, then buff off the excess with a dry Uber All Purpose Microfiber towel.

Note: It's important to buff off the excess. If you allow the excess to stay, your seats will be slippery.
Old 01-18-2011, 12:20 PM

Send a message via AIM to meeksdigital
Mein Auto: 2011 335d
What are you guys using on the top dashboard area? It appears to be the same type of leather (at least pattern-wise) as the seats, but I thought it was vinyl. Any input?
Old 01-18-2011, 12:22 PM
Auto-X Junkie

Mein Auto: E86M
Leatherique. Hands down the best product you can use for leather. I don't care what others have to say....

For Dashboard, use 303 Aerospace Protectant
Old 01-18-2011, 12:24 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 328i Coupe MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by meeksdigital View Post
What are you guys using on the top dashboard area? It appears to be the same type of leather (at least pattern-wise) as the seats, but I thought it was vinyl. Any input?
It is vinyl. This thread may help.
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...569&highlight=
Old 01-18-2011, 12:51 PM

Mein Auto: '07 328iT.'13 Boxster
Zymol Treat or Connolly Hide Care.

Tom
Old 01-18-2011, 12:58 PM
wooohooo

Mein Auto: '08 335i coupe 6MT sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by meeksdigital View Post
The most popular product for sure is the 303. I just obtained my first bottle, but still haven't used it. I've been using Optimum Protectant for a more matte finish. (I was perhaps overly paranoid of mega glossy Armor All type stuff.) I don't know about the 303, but the Optimum is pretty strong in smell. Like after a full detail of a car, I will have all windows and sunroof open for at least a couple of days in the garage.

But, the pic that sold me on trying the Optimum first is a photo from a detail blog of a TL at DI. I discovered this shortly after joining this site. So, Optimum on left, nothing in middle, 303 on right.

The one tip I have for you is to spray directly into MF, and not on directly on vinyl. Directly on vinyl, you might end up with darker areas that others, and especially because the bottle pretty much only squirts, and doesn't spray really at all.

Old 01-18-2011, 12:59 PM
Omnes rationi moderatum

Mein Auto: Certified Garage Princess
Zaino for the leather and Aerospace 303 for the dash.

Euro Modded|Split Armrest|Rear Foglight Mod|BMW Performance Exhaust|CDV Delete|Shark Fin Antenna Delete|Front Reflector Delete|LUX H8 Angel Eyes|328i|3 Pedals|Das Fahren im Freien| BMWCCA#445793
Old 01-18-2011, 05:01 PM

Mein Auto: 335i
Optimum Protectant Plus on both the leather and the dash. Used to use 303, but it's a little shinier than I'd like.
Old 01-18-2011, 05:08 PM
Nerd

Mein Auto: 2008 335i Coupe
Maguiar for leather and also their vinyl protection for the dash.
The only thing is that the vinyl protector makes the dash a tad shiny but not as bad as 303; otherwise it works great.

Car still looks and smells like new except for a bit of bum wear on the driver's side.
Internal:M3 Tri-stitched Steering wheel/OEM Aluminum Pedal and Footrest
External: Black Matte Grills/MSport Front Bumper with sidemarker delete/OEM Aero Rear Bumper/OEM Aero Spoiler/LuxH8 LED Angel Eyes V3
Old 01-18-2011, 05:12 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 335i M-Sport
Griots Leather Care, Interior Cleaner, Vinyl/Rubber dressing.
Old 01-19-2011, 04:42 AM

Mein Auto: 335i
Lexol for leather and Vinylex for everything else.
dhc3
Old 01-19-2011, 10:48 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 528i Sedan
Zaino Z9/Z10 on the leather ... about every 3 months.

1Z Cockpit Premium on the dash and other plastic/vnyl surfaces. (303 is also excellent product).

2006 325xi / Sparkling Graphite / Terra / Walnut/ Steptronic /Premium Package - Nav / Xenons || iPod Adapter | Blacklines (retired 5-1-2014)
Old 01-19-2011, 11:55 AM
Combat Commuter

Mein Auto: 2007 E93 335i
The best leather conditioner that I found to try to make our painted and coated leather actually smell like leather is SMART leather cleaner/conditioner: http://www.bavauto.com/fland.asp?par...m_source=30100
Old 10-11-2012, 11:06 PM

Mein Auto: 335i Convertible 2009
I used Chemical Guys leather cleaner and conditioner kit... I saw no difference in the finish state vs. before cleaning. My 2009 seats were very good condition to begin with though, so it might be that one can see more difference on older leather. However, I used it on a friend's 2006 5 series seats which were black and saw a little bit of difference between the before and after states. His seats were a bit more beat up than mine but not too bad still.

Einsatz plastic cockpit cleaner did ok on smooth plastic surfaces but did not impress me on the fake leather textured surfaces such as the dash and door sills. On those surfaces it left a dull almost imperceptable white haze everywhere. Whereas on the the smooth surfaces, it did impart a matte OEM finish after cleaning. The radio and LED screens look like factory after treatment. Too bad it failed to do better on the fake leather dash and window sills.