Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)

E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
The E9X is the 4th evolution of the BMW 3 series including a highly tuned twin turbo 335i variant pushing out 300hp and 300 ft. lbs. of torque. BMW continues to show that it sets the bar for true driving performance! -- View the E9X Wiki

Old 10-12-2012, 11:04 AM

Mein Auto: '11 E91 M-sport/manual
'10 335ix/auto to '11 328iT/manual, impressions

My lease was ending on my '10 335iX, I was considering quite a few different vehicles to replace the 335. Lifestyle changed a bit recently with the addition of a Golden Retriever puppy, so I needed a wagon/hatchback, preferably with a manual transmission as I've been missing manuals lately. Also didn't want to lease again as I much prefer getting in the car and driving without thinking about lease miles. Considered Subaru WRX/STI but wasn't refined enough for a daily driver. Thought about a new Golf R, had a few VWs in the past and wasn't looking forward to dealing with their dealer network again. Was interested in the F30 estate until I found out that BMW isn't going to offer a manual transmission here anymore with the wagon, we're only getting the 8-speed auto (which is a great transmission, though still not a manual). Then I came across an '11 328i Touring with 9K miles with M-sport and a proper manual gearbox, took it for a drive and I was quite happy. Did a national search for '11 estates with M-sport and a manual and couldn't find any others for sale.

Before I drove the car I thought that I was a bit mental for thinking about going from a 335 to a 328, but after the drive I thought I'd offer what I thought were some pretty important differences. My 335 was quite optioned, sport/premium/nav/auto - it didn't have the cold weather package though it had heated seats and heated steering wheel as a la carte options (not getting the cold weather package though meant that the rear seat doesn't fold, making the car quite impractical for large items). As everyone knows here the xDrive system on the BMW isn't available with the sport suspension, even though my car had the sport package.

One drive in the 328i and I was hooked, It's quite free of options other than HIDs and the M-sport package and 18" M-sport staggered wheels. To me, the 328 with RWD proper manual box is a much more engaging drive than the 335 was, the suspension is much more pinned-down and can carry more speed through corners. The gearbox seems perfectly matched to the n/a inline six, I'd driven quite a few 328i (both RWD and xDrive) as service loaners (all with the non-ZF automatic) and I didn't like the drive at all. Combining the sport suspension with a manual makes this engine sing, even though I took a 70 bhp/100 lb/ft hit I don't really miss it. The wagon is quite a bit more practical as well, and I love the look of the thing - especially with the 18" M-sport wheels. Steering response is quite a bit better as well, as there isn't xDrive getting in the way. The smoothness of the n/a six with the manual is quite pronounced, this is a very sweet engine. It seems that in most situations on public roads seems all I really need.
Ads by Google
Old 10-12-2012, 11:22 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2006 330xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grendel335 View Post
My lease was ending on my '10 335iX, I was considering quite a few different vehicles to replace the 335. Lifestyle changed a bit recently with the addition of a Golden Retriever puppy, so I needed a wagon/hatchback, preferably with a manual transmission as I've been missing manuals lately. Also didn't want to lease again as I much prefer getting in the car and driving without thinking about lease miles. Considered Subaru WRX/STI but wasn't refined enough for a daily driver. Thought about a new Golf R, had a few VWs in the past and wasn't looking forward to dealing with their dealer network again. Was interested in the F30 estate until I found out that BMW isn't going to offer a manual transmission here anymore with the wagon, we're only getting the 8-speed auto (which is a great transmission, though still not a manual). Then I came across an '11 328i Touring with 9K miles with M-sport and a proper manual gearbox, took it for a drive and I was quite happy. Did a national search for '11 estates with M-sport and a manual and couldn't find any others for sale.

Before I drove the car I thought that I was a bit mental for thinking about going from a 335 to a 328, but after the drive I thought I'd offer what I thought were some pretty important differences. My 335 was quite optioned, sport/premium/nav/auto - it didn't have the cold weather package though it had heated seats and heated steering wheel as a la carte options (not getting the cold weather package though meant that the rear seat doesn't fold, making the car quite impractical for large items). As everyone knows here the xDrive system on the BMW isn't available with the sport suspension, even though my car had the sport package.

One drive in the 328i and I was hooked, It's quite free of options other than HIDs and the M-sport package and 18" M-sport staggered wheels. To me, the 328 with RWD proper manual box is a much more engaging drive than the 335 was, the suspension is much more pinned-down and can carry more speed through corners. The gearbox seems perfectly matched to the n/a inline six, I'd driven quite a few 328i (both RWD and xDrive) as service loaners (all with the non-ZF automatic) and I didn't like the drive at all. Combining the sport suspension with a manual makes this engine sing, even though I took a 70 bhp/100 lb/ft hit I don't really miss it. The wagon is quite a bit more practical as well, and I love the look of the thing - especially with the 18" M-sport wheels. Steering response is quite a bit better as well, as there isn't xDrive getting in the way. The smoothness of the n/a six with the manual is quite pronounced, this is a very sweet engine. It seems that in most situations on public roads seems all I really need.
Wow. Seriously makes me jealous. I was always a Sedan guy, but for the last year, I've been eyeing the wagons more and more each week. Reading about your experiences and the transition from one car to another makes me want to try one out all the more. Does it "feel" longer when you're in the drivers seat, especially looking back?
Old 10-12-2012, 08:20 PM

Mein Auto: X3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grendel335 View Post
Then I came across an '11 328i Touring with 9K miles with M-sport and a proper manual gearbox, took it for a drive and I was quite happy. Did a national search for '11 estates with M-sport and a manual and couldn't find any others for sale.
Welcome to the Touring club!
BMW CCA #115780
'14 X3 35i M sport
Old 10-13-2012, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BiHoTTo115 View Post
Wow. Seriously makes me jealous. I was always a Sedan guy, but for the last year, I've been eyeing the wagons more and more each week. Reading about your experiences and the transition from one car to another makes me want to try one out all the more. Does it "feel" longer when you're in the drivers seat, especially looking back?
Doesn't feel any longer - it feels that the weight balance is better than the xDrive 335i sedan though. The sport suspension/manual are quite a good combination. I'm looking for winter wheels/tires at the moment though, so that will probably change the dynamic a bit...
Old 10-13-2012, 01:18 PM
came and went...

Mein Auto: 993 6MT
pictures of the puppy....

2011 328 xi coupe
Old 10-14-2012, 12:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by B-737 View Post
Here are a few phone pics, will definitely take a few with the real camera when the weather isn't so horrible.

Old 10-14-2012, 06:51 AM
came and went...

Mein Auto: 993 6MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by B-737 View Post

2011 328 xi coupe
Old 10-14-2012, 10:50 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 E92 335i MT
Don't want to start the usual disputes here, but you went from X-drive AT to ZSP MT. Of course it will offset even the N54 to N52 difference. E90 loaners sucked for me not because they were 328i, but because they were X-drive AT.

Didn't feel any "downgrade" when we test drove 328i E92 (sport suspension is standard) with 6MT. Actually, until the last moment I was going to go with 328 coupe, but changed my mind 15 minutes before signing the order for ED.

X-drive and AT with that engine especially are just fun killers.

2011 E92 335i 6MT ZSP ZCW (ED May 17th 2010)

2013 118d BMWNA Special Edition. Black on black cloth (yay!), 5 door hatchback, 140hp diesel. Special edition items: factory debadge| "VW", "Golf" and "TDI" badges factory applied | MT | Standard go flat tires | Spare tire (yay!) | No moonroof (yay!) .
Old 10-14-2012, 03:25 PM

We needed a 2nd car in '10 when we were living in Chicago and I didn't have the time or the patience to wait for what I actually went to the dealership for, a 328i ZSP MT. Ended up getting the 335 that day. The loaners were mostly xDrive cars, though there were a few RWD cars in there, along with a few 5 series loaners (N20/AT). The sport seats/sport suspension/M-sport wheels/manual are a fantastic combo, if the dealer in Chicago had something like that on hand I would've probably never gone for the 335.

And here's a pic of the dog:

Old 10-14-2012, 03:41 PM

Mein Auto: 335d, WRX, 325is, Eurovan
Congrats on the wagon! I went from an AT 335d to a 6MT 328xiT M-Sport (and no iDrive) myself, and couldn't be happier. It would nice sometimes to have that extra 200lb/ft of torque of the diesel, but 99% of the time the Touring is perfect--definitely a keeper!

Great looking dog too.

-graham

2012 328xiT
M-Sport/Manual/iDrive-free

Last edited by GB; 10-14-2012 at 04:09 PM.
Old 10-15-2012, 08:11 AM

Mein Auto: 2006 330xi
My god, it's beautiful. The inside just pops with the M-Sport wheel and shifter, and that red leather. Perfect. I know what I'm test driving come Spring/Summer...
Old 10-16-2012, 07:06 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 328 Saloon
Very nice! That is definitely a RARE find. The last of naturally aspirated inline 6 also. Definitely a keeper. Your comments about a manual 6 speed 328 ZSP hits it on the head, thus why I drive a a 11' 328 ZSP 6 speed. More than enough power I need in just about every situation. Let us know if you buy it.

ED - 5.14.10
ED Drop off - 5.22.10
Car arrived in Brunswick, GA - 6.21.10
Released from Customs - 6.25.10
PCD Redelivery - 7.12.10

Picking up the car at the Welt: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R6Ulzi58u6I
My 140MPH A92 run: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DRej5VEQpmc

ED May 14, 2010
Old 10-16-2012, 07:22 AM

Mein Auto: '07 328iT.'13 Boxster
After months of searching, I found my CPO '07 MT touring in 2010 and have been enjoying it ever since. I have no idea what will ultimately replace it as I could live with the F31 turbo 4, but not the Steptronic. Hopefully, BMW will relent on the US transmission options by that time. (But I guess it's too much to hope that they will ever build a 3 liter NA 6 with power & economy comparable to the new 4.)

Congrats on your beautiful E91 - enjoy!

Tom
Old 10-17-2012, 05:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanos4:12PM View Post
Very nice! That is definitely a RARE find. The last of naturally aspirated inline 6 also. Definitely a keeper. Your comments about a manual 6 speed 328 ZSP hits it on the head, thus why I drive a a 11' 328 ZSP 6 speed. More than enough power I need in just about every situation. Let us know if you buy it.
I bought it right after the test drive . I've put around 500 miles on it already, incredibly capable machine. Love the feel of the manual and the sport suspension, should've gone this route when I got the 335. I still can't believe I found an M-sport estate with a manual, but I'll take it .
Old 10-17-2012, 05:44 PM
Freedom isn't free!!

Mein Auto: '06 Sonora/Beige 330i :-)
Very nice!! So, it has gorgeous leather. Is that stand alone or does it have the ZPP?

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." -- Geo. Orwell

2006 330i Sonora w/ ActiveAutoWerke flash tune :-)
2004 330i ZHP Imola/NB - missed
2000 328i TiAg - gone but not forgotten

BMW CCA member #388003 - www.bmwcca.org Use me as a referral, you could win a one day ///M Driving School!
Old 10-27-2012, 11:31 PM

I think it's a stand-alone option.