Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > The Best of Bimmerfest! > European Delivery

European Delivery
The place to share your experiences and tips related to "ED"... View the ED Wiki -- View the Pick-Up Date Calendar -- Add Your Pick-Up Date to the Calendar

Old 10-12-2012, 01:31 PM

Mein Auto: 550i (F10)
Alpenstrasse question. How windy (twisty) is it?

So I picked up my 550i on Wed and spent 2 nights in Munich. I'm currently now in Fussen at the Hotel Sonne and loving it. I told my wife we would drive the Alpenstrasse to Salzburg tomorrow and when she saw it on the map said, "I don't think so". She gets car sick if there are too many twists and turns. So how bad is it? Thanks!
Advertisement
Old 10-12-2012, 01:55 PM
(formerly SD 335is)

Mein Auto: '06 Z4 MR | '11 335is E92
Quote:
Originally Posted by trencher View Post
So I picked up my 550i on Wed and spent 2 nights in Munich. I'm currently now in Fussen at the Hotel Sonne and loving it. I told my wife we would drive the Alpenstrasse to Salzburg tomorrow and when she saw it on the map said, "I don't think so". She gets car sick if there are too many twists and turns. So how bad is it? Thanks!
It varies. It's twisty in some places and not so twisty in other places. The elevation changes. It's steep in some places and flat in others. It's an Alpine Road (hence Alpenstraße and it's fun to drive. How does one gauge the "twistiness" of a road?

If she looked at the map and said "I don't think so", it's probably too twisty for her.
Hers: 2011 335is Coupe (E92) | Le Mans Blue Metallic | Black Dakota Leather | Dark Glacier Aluminum | 6MT | ED 5/12/11

BMWCCA #444696 - Click to join and a chance to win a 1-Day M School at the BMW Performance Center!

Old 10-12-2012, 02:46 PM
HerrDoktorProfessor

Mein Auto: '11 335d
Leave the wife at the hotel. Problem solved :-)

Entertaining America Since 1975
European Delivery July 26th 2011
ED Video:
ED Trip Report:http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=557294

335d| Deep Sea Blue| Black/Aluminum | Stuff | Gadgets | More Stuff | Power Whatnots | Auto-Verbing Nouns
BMWCCA #448878
Old 10-12-2012, 03:18 PM
bimmerfest Supporting Member

Mein Auto: 2012 BMW 128i Convertible
You'll be cleaning those new car seats before you reach Salzburg if she's got a queasy stomach. It's not scary with steep precipices or such, but it is a lot of twists, turns, rises and falls. Very scenic and pretty. Maybe give it a try with frequent stops. Nice spots along the way would be near the many lakes, Benediktbeuren Abbey and the towns of Bad Tolz and Rottach-Egern. Because of time constraints we only drove the section from Fussen to Oberaudorf, then headed South into Austria. From there we drove through Walchsee, down to Erpendorf, then the B178 to Sankt Johan in Tirol, Lofer and then up into Germany near Ramsau. That way you still do the Tatzelwurm portion and eventually get on straighter two lane roads. Walchsee looked pretty impressive as a touristy spot and Lofer was a nice spot for tanking up on cheap Austrian gas before you get up to Ramsau and its much-photographed old church.
2012 BMW 128i Convertible (red)
2013 MINI Cooper Coupe (red)
2014 Ford Fusion (grey)
Old 10-12-2012, 07:45 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2011 Z4 35i
Quote:
Originally Posted by trencher View Post
How easily does your wife get motion sickness. Meine Frau gets motion sickness if I drive the curves aggressively, so when "we" drive the curves, and we drove from Alpenstrasse from Garmisch-Partenkirchen to Bad Reichenhall, I moderated my urge to drive like Sebastian Vettel. We stopped along the way for breaks - so we compromised. You can always route up to the A8, if necessary, as there are numerous possibilities along the way. Try the portion from Fussen heading to Garmisch-Partenkirchen, if she can't take that portion, head North to the A8 via Bad Tolz.

HerrK - Keine Eifelfahrt ohne eine Runde über den Nürburgring

May 2010 ED l 2011 35i l Crimson over Ext'd Coral Red w/brushed Alum l 6sp MT l Prem Sound l Sport Pack l 296's l Comfort Access l Alarm l Power Heated Seats l & Nav.
FrauK - 2014 Q5 TDI - May 2014 ED | Cuvée Silver over Pistachio beige | Premim Plus | MMI | Nav | B&O
Old 10-12-2012, 08:12 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '00 E46 Sedan & '14 6GC
Quote:
Originally Posted by HerrK View Post
Try the portion from Fussen heading to Garmisch-Partenkirchen, if she can't take that portion, head North to the A8 via Bad Tolz.
That's a good solution. It would be a shame to miss it.
Old 10-12-2012, 10:50 PM
(aharding)ED #1 Sept 2012

Mein Auto: BMW GC & MB SL500
Drive the road but stop for breaks. On our recent ED, my wife got queasy on the windy stretches of the road. Moderating my speed and taking breaks on the side of the road did the trick. The entire road is not windy, only some segments. The question to ask would be, do you have enough self control to slow down when all of your senses say go faster!

2013 F06 640i Gran Coupe Carbon Black | M Sport Package | Amaro Brown Merino Leather | Fine Line Oak Wood Trim | Driver Assistance Package | Luxury Seating Package | Bang & Olufsen | Ceramic Controls | BMW Apps | Full LED Lighting
ED Trip Report - September 2012
Post your Neuschwanstein Castle photo here
Hawaii Vacation Rentals

Last edited by 640GC; 10-12-2012 at 10:51 PM.