Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > Welcome to Bimmerfest > BMW News Articles and Announcements

BMW News Articles and Announcements
Read the latest BMW headlines and discuss them with your fellow bimmer enthusiasts!

Old 10-12-2012, 05:18 PM   #1
BMW Classic Workshop Rebuilds a 1972 2000 Touring

tim330i
Administrator

Show Printable Version Email this Page

Advertisement
posted by tim330i

BMW Classic Workshop Rebuilds a 1972 2000 Touring

The happy conclusion of the comprehensive restoration of a historic vehicle is invariably awaited with excited anticipation. The end of September 2012 marked the completion of another such project: a 1972 BMW 2000 Touring, completely rebuilt in the BMW Classic Customer Workshop to as-new condition, was ceremoniously handed over to its owner – former President of the Board of Directors of the Hilti Group, Michael Hilti – against the backdrop of the “standard” vehicle delivery procedure at BMW Welt.

The delight was visible on everyone’s face. “To be able to get back behind the wheel of this car, which I owned in the 1970s and is now in perfect condition again, is just amazing. My wife managed to track down the model, which I was driving when I first met her, and gave it to me as a present,” says Michael Hilti. BMW Group Classic management were likewise very happy with the result: “The successful restoration of the BMW 2000 Touring with its output of more than 170 hp is further evidence that, together with our partners in the BMW Group production network, we are able to carry out major restorations at the highest level and tailored to the wishes of each customer,” commented Ralf Vierlein, Director Sales and Aftersales at BMW Group Classic.

When the BMW 2000 Touring was delivered to BMW Classic, its condition was classified at the lowest possible level, which meant it needed extensive restoration work. A complete overhaul of the vehicle required months of research and countless hours of manual labour. The experts at the BMW Classic Center not only dealt with substantial bodywork damage but also completely overhauled the technology, electronics and interior fittings in accordance with the customer’s requests. The body features Alpina-spec metal wheel arch flarings, an interior with sports seats, and Alpina wheel rims.

The car was also fitted with a completely rebuilt 5-speed sports transmission and a stainless steel sports exhaust system. It is now in A1 condition.

BMW Classic Customer Workshop: one-stop shop for all-round service
In developing its own Customer Workshop, BMW Classic is delivering the perfect response to the growing desire among many BMW enthusiasts to own a car that is as true as possible to the original and in the best possible condition. “The workshop is a key component in the realignment of BMW Classic and our approach to customers in the classics market,” says Karl Baumer, Director of BMW Group Classic. In parallel with this, the supply and remanufacture of parts is undergoing further expansion. Other business areas have also been added, such as the purchase and sale of vehicles, authentication certificates, buyer consultation and a global collection and delivery service. The crucial advantage of the BMW Classic Center is that it offers all-round service under one roof. “We possess the theoretical knowledge regarding the vehicles, the technical know-how, the Original BMW parts and the requisite infrastructure to link it all up systematically,” continues Ralf Vierlein.

In future, on completion of a full restoration by the BMW Classic Center, owners can take delivery of their vehicle in the unique surroundings of BMW Welt. This form of handover is not just a unique experience for the owner but a particularly eloquent example of the accomplished symbiosis of past and present within the BMW Group.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	BMW-Classic-Workshop-Rebuilds-1972-2000-Touring_1.jpg
Views:	1943
Size:	219.2 KB
ID:	345424   Click image for larger version

Name:	BMW-Classic-Workshop-Rebuilds-1972-2000-Touring_2.jpg
Views:	489
Size:	208.9 KB
ID:	345425   Click image for larger version

Name:	BMW-Classic-Workshop-Rebuilds-1972-2000-Touring_3.jpg
Views:	531
Size:	233.8 KB
ID:	345426   Click image for larger version

Name:	BMW-Classic-Workshop-Rebuilds-1972-2000-Touring_4.jpg
Views:	503
Size:	162.5 KB
ID:	345427   Click image for larger version

Name:	BMW-Classic-Workshop-Rebuilds-1972-2000-Touring_5.jpg
Views:	466
Size:	126.0 KB
ID:	345428  

Click image for larger version

Name:	BMW-Classic-Workshop-Rebuilds-1972-2000-Touring_6.jpg
Views:	463
Size:	163.6 KB
ID:	345429  

This article has been viewed 6896 times.
Old 10-13-2012, 10:37 AM
Z4 M coupe, F07 550i GT

Mein Auto: '07 Z4Mcoupe, '10 550 GT
That's awesome.
I remember this story of BMW Classic restoring an E9, have there been any others?
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=471298
Old 10-22-2012, 10:54 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 540i/6 E39
Hey maybe in 30 years they'll restore an E39 like mine