Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > Z Series > E36/7 Z3 (1996-2002)

E36/7 Z3 (1996-2002)
E36/7 Z3 Roadster, Z3 coupe, Z3 M Roadster and Z3 M Coupe talk with our gurus here.

Old 07-02-2014, 02:16 PM

Mein Auto: 1998 Z3
Water issue (another one...)

Hi guys! I'm new here. Proud owner of a 98 Z3. Bought this car about a month ago, and I hardly never drove it yet. Water is coming in by everywhere. The new top I installed solved the water coming from the back of the car. The sides are coming along good, only a few drops that I will fix later.
Water is pouring from the front. I think I pretty much red everything there was to read related to water.
Today, I took off the wipers and the big plastic trim at the base of the windshield 'cause I wanted to clean the elephant tube (drain duck). With the plastic cover removed, you can see the blower motor, staring at you like an idiot!
Please guys, please someone tell me i'm missing the top cover for the blower motor. Water from the windshield simply fall in the blower motor enclosure (that should be covered, I'm convinced), through the blower motor fans (1 at each end) and right in the car.
Any diagram showing that the blower motor is covered would be most valuable for me right now. Only in my dreams would I expect a snap shot of this...

Summer last only a few weeks here, please help me put that car where it belongs: on the road, not parked in my driveway!!!
Advertisement
Old 07-02-2014, 03:07 PM
Overly Intellectual

Mein Auto: 2002 M5, 1999 M Roadster
Not sure how much help this is. Happen to have the car with me today.

Quote:
Only in my dreams would I expect a snap shot of this...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	BMW-MRoadster-EngineBay.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	86.7 KB
ID:	449440  
Old 07-02-2014, 03:17 PM
Overly Intellectual

Mein Auto: 2002 M5, 1999 M Roadster
Link for the 1999 M Roadster parts diagram, your car may have a different diagram/part #s:

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...89&hg=51&fg=20

Old 07-02-2014, 04:46 PM
BMW CCA 1405

Mein Auto: 1997 BMW Z3 1.9 5MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sportedge View Post
... I took off the wipers and the big plastic trim at the base of the windshield 'cause I wanted to clean the elephant tube (drain duck). With the plastic cover removed, you can see the blower motor, staring at you like an idiot!
Please guys, please someone tell me i'm missing the top cover for the blower motor. Water from the windshield simply fall in the blower motor enclosure (that should be covered, I'm convinced), through the blower motor fans (1 at each end) and right in the car.
Any diagram showing that the blower motor is covered would be most valuable for me right now...
The plastic cover that you removed is the cover for the blower. Water does fall into the enclosure as you guessed. The water in the enclosure is drained by the two quacking drain ducks. They may need to be cleaned.
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=717559
Old 07-02-2014, 07:12 PM

Thanks guys. The elephant tube were dirty but not clogged. I had my garden hose running in the wiper well and water was going out through the elephant hose. The blower motor's plastic enclosure is in the wiper well. When I pour water in it, it goes directly in the car. If the plastic cowl cover that I removed is indeed the blower motor's cover, then I'm missing some sort of urethan or silicone bead underneath to prevent water from the windshield to go in the blower motor enclosure. I will install a strip of wheater foam underneath the big plastic cover, put the plastic rivets back on and see if the water from the windshield will fall to both sides of the blower motor enclosure, not directly in it.
Old 07-02-2014, 09:16 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2006 Z4, 2001 Z3
Give this a read.... http://www.zroadster.net/forum/viewt...=35070#p326933

And this is a perfect reference to what and how the elephant drain works. http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/att...&d=1403627851]

Best of luck
Old 07-03-2014, 03:56 AM

Bucko521, thank you so much!!! The second link shows perfectly why I'm having problems with water coming in the car. The image clerly shows the foam seal that my car lacks, thanks (probably) to the guys who installed my new windshield. I will install a seal as my guts were telling me to!
Off to the beach with the familly for a week. Can't wait to come back to repair this, re-install the carpets and drive away!!! Hard to beleive how a stupid piece of seal can cause so much problems...
Thanks again everyone.