Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > Everything Else > Off-Topic

Off-Topic
Everything not about BMWs. Posts must be "primetime safe" and in good taste. No personal attacks allowed. Political posting is restricted to the Political Science forum!

Old 10-15-2012, 10:27 AM
Brevity= the soul of wit

Mein Auto: You've*got*to be kidding
Quote:
Originally Posted by v12 View Post
See what happened to the OP in this thread,
Crime goes where it pays. A few members have posted about similar experiences all over the country. Here, here and here.

Since this episode, I have come to understand once again that while feeling very personal to the victim, most crime of this type does not a begin as a personal issue. It's a crime of simple opportunity. The job of the individual is to make crime's payoff less impactful by making it require more effort. That might be putting your wallet in your front pocket and NYC streets with cameras on every corner or home cameras, gun safes, and security doors in suburbia.
Old 10-15-2012, 12:21 PM
Brevity = soul of wit

Mein Auto: F10
Very sorry for what happened to you in your home Prop. You also wrote well, I was "right there" while reading it and felt angry for you by the end of it.

On the same reflective tone:

Even if armed, you don't necessarily have access to your weapon when/ if needed. You mentioned in your thread you have children. So that rules-out scattering a few around the home for easy and quicker access...

I don't like this trend though. Soon the Police will have drones flying about our heads and grocery shoppers will tote Glocks at the hip and most anyone will think it's necessary and acceptable.
The size of the incarcerated population in this country is already ridiculous as it is. What's next?

You are right, it is said crime has no address. In this economic climate delapited inner cities will spill over if it gets worse since the 'burbs will be perceived at a good pay out with low barriers of entry.

I am worried: Food stamps recipients hit a all time high last June in this country. The purchasing power of most average citizens has been eroding, the USD as a currency is in the gutter and it'll get worse ($1 form the 70's = about $0.11 right now) and even if taxes were flattened down, I am not convinced the american spirit to build and take risks on an individual level survived the last decade or was passed on the next generations.

That being said, TN has no requirement to display a front license plate. No need to drill your front bumper! So that's one good thing besides the BBQ (don't care for Blues...).
Old 10-15-2012, 12:59 PM
Resident Curmudgeon

Mein Auto: '12 X5 35d/E39M5/996TTX50
Quote:
See what happened to the OP in this thread, not sure where he is but that's terrifying..

That poster lived in Manhattan.
Old 10-15-2012, 01:17 PM
Brevity = soul of wit

You are saying that in jest but people are getting their Apple devices ripped from their hands in the subway.
The NYPD is too busy handing out citations for no front plate on hot cars and to trucks actually doing business (read tax revenue producers for the city).

Shortcuts... I'll tell 'ya, they don't work... (for very long).
Old 10-15-2012, 01:45 PM
Resident Curmudgeon

Mein Auto: '12 X5 35d/E39M5/996TTX50
^^ I was born in Manhattan. Hate it. Hate all cities actually. Give me 1000 acres, wood shop, metal shop, couple of garages, barn... perfect.

Agree that police spend MUCH more time with 'revenue positive enforcement' no matter WHERE you are....
Old 10-23-2012, 08:34 PM

Mein Auto: 2000 540 6 sp
You are going to miss the winters...and the ocean. The summer's are brutal. No more Giants or Yankee games in the Bronx. No income tax in the TN. Within 30 miles in any direction it can become very rural... and tornado warnings are common

People are great and very friendly. You are also 3 hours to anywhere in the country by plane

Just a few thoughts....
Old 10-24-2012, 08:12 AM
The King of Common Sense

Send a message via Skype™ to Dave 330i
Mein Auto:
I drove though Tennessee on I-65 to Great Smoky Mtn NP a few days ago. The interstate is very smooth and lined with trees showing their fall colors. The best highway I have seen in the USA. Great for doing top speed here (Hint: 130 mph)

Swim upstream. Go the other way. Ignore the conventional wisdom. If everybody is doing it one way, there’s a good chance you can find your niche by going exactly in the opposite direction", Sam Walton.

Last edited by Dave 330i; 10-24-2012 at 08:14 AM.
Old 10-25-2012, 08:47 PM
Der Meister: Loriot

Mein Auto: 2001 330i
We lived in NE suburbs of Atlanta for four years after living in NJ and West Suburbs of Chicago as well. If you are making the same $ in Memphis or the suburbs as you are in Manhattan, prepare to feel "rich." Cost of housing in Georgia was about 60% of the cost in NJ and IL. I don't know about Memphis, but speaking for the South in general - we loved it and would go back in an instant if our families were there. Summers are hot, sure. But when you don't need a jacket in February it's worth it!

That's just my $.02
Old 10-25-2012, 09:08 PM
-- Robert S. Johnson 56FG

Mein Auto: 2008 535i
Quote:
Originally Posted by ard View Post
Interesting.

OP lives in Manhattan.. so compared to THAT, I'd live just about anywhere except LA or Miami.

Basically any city you just buy a 'bubble' 5,10, 20 miles outside of town and life will be good- raise a family, good schools, restaurants, low crime, etc, etc.

MHO

A
Manhattan happens to be a wonderful, happening place to live, if you can afford to live there. It is absolutely a world class city.

I am not running down Memphis, but few cities in the world are as good.

535i, Monaco, Cream, Light Poplar, Comfort Seats, PP, Nav, ED.
Old 11-15-2012, 07:45 PM
Brevity = soul of wit

Thank you again everyone.

Update: we haven't gone down to visit yet. Head hunter is selling me a story contradicted by several recent departures I found out about last week.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1quick540 View Post
You are going to miss the winters...and the ocean. [...]

You are also 3 hours to anywhere in the country by plane

Just a few thoughts....
Agreed on the winters/ skiing and the ocean (love the ocean)... 3 hours to anywhere... I hadn't thought of it, very good point which would address not having the sea or the mountains.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave 330i View Post
I drove though Tennessee on I-65 to Great Smoky Mtn NP a few days ago. The interstate is very smooth and lined with trees showing their fall colors. The best highway I have seen in the USA. Great for doing top speed here (Hint: 130 mph)
Say what? 130? I don't think I'd ever dare doing that in the US. Too risky for me.
And I wish you had footage from one of those GoPro cameras!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamdog View Post
Manhattan happens to be a wonderful, happening place to live, if you can afford to live there. It is absolutely a world class city.

I am not running down Memphis, but few cities in the world are as good.
Agreed. HK (truly an amazing/ ruthless/ buzzing city) and Singapore deserve to be on that list in my opinion.

Last edited by octopump; 11-15-2012 at 07:46 PM.
Old 11-15-2012, 07:54 PM
HerrDoktorProfessor

Mein Auto: '11 335d
Memphis is a dump.

Entertaining America Since 1975
European Delivery July 26th 2011
ED Video:
ED Trip Report:http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=557294

335d| Deep Sea Blue| Black/Aluminum | Stuff | Gadgets | More Stuff | Power Whatnots | Auto-Verbing Nouns
BMWCCA #448878
Old 01-07-2013, 12:37 PM
The King of Common Sense

Send a message via Skype™ to Dave 330i
Mein Auto:
Quote:

Say what? 130? I don't think I'd ever dare doing that in the US. Too risky for me.
And I wish you had footage from one of those GoPro cameras!
I had to slow do. I didn't want to freek out the car in front of me.

Swim upstream. Go the other way. Ignore the conventional wisdom. If everybody is doing it one way, there’s a good chance you can find your niche by going exactly in the opposite direction", Sam Walton.