Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)

X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)
Talk about the E83 BMW X3 in this forum!

Old 10-13-2012, 07:00 PM

Mein Auto: BMW X3 2006
flbmwx3

My 2006 x3 doesn,t seem to want to change down when travelling at 40mph. Happens on an incline with slow acceleration.....what's causing this. No help from dealer..:banghead
Advertisement
Old 10-14-2012, 09:33 AM
Aficionado

Mein Auto: '05 X3, '95 M3, '89 MkI
When you say "doesn't seem to want to shift down", do you mean shifting to a lower gear? In that case, that is called "upshift", since the transmission is going actually 1>2>3>4>5.

See if the symptoms are similar to those on the attached bulletin, it is a known issue and the dealer should know about it... and be prepared to pay if the update is needed.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf SIB-Hills program.pdf (15.3 KB, 34 views)

Old 10-14-2012, 01:38 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2004 X3 2.5i
Quote:
Originally Posted by X3-terrestrial View Post
When you say "doesn't seem to want to shift down", do you mean shifting to a lower gear? In that case, that is called "upshift", since the transmission is going actually 1>2>3>4>5.
I'm confused.

As I read it, the OP is saying that the 5 spd. A/T is not shifting down into a lower gear ratio at the start of an incline, or even midway, when the accelerator is pushed only slightly.

One or two forum members have noted that, and wondered if it is a transmission management issue or engine management problem (lugging because of an air/fuel or ignition fault).

The complaint of the 5 spd. A/T not changing up to a higher gear when cresting an incline is more common, and gave rise to the so-called hill program S.I.B.

However, some of those that had that s/w update found that their X3 was more lively, which suggests to me that the S.I.B. just re-initializes something so the adaptive function can work properly again.

Or are there 2 separate updates to address issues on the 5spd. A/T?

See: http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=383330

Anyway, I believe the OP is talking about downshifting, and the dealer only knows about the delayed upshift problem.

Would throwing it into Sport program (SD) mode immediately cause a downshift?

Most people don't find much if any change in SD, but if you do, I guess that means the adaptive function isn't working as well as it should.

Re. the use of the terms upshift and downshift, I have noticed some people trying to change the meaning based on direction of travel of the lever in manumatic mode.
Some argue that BMW implemented it backwards.
Manufacturers who use paddle shifters muddy the waters more.
But upshifting or downshifting has nothing to do with which way you move the stick, whether it's a M/T or an A/T.
See: http://blogs.insideline.com/roadtest...ter-right.html
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	confused.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	22.5 KB
ID:	345655  
Old 10-14-2012, 02:02 PM

Mein Auto: BMW X3 2006
Where I come from, England, we call it downshift....would that make sense? Anyway you get what I mean and it seems the problem is in the software right?