Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 7 Series / 8 Series > 7 Series - F01 / F02 (2009 - current)

7 Series - F01 / F02 (2009 - current)
The new re-designed 7 series F01 / F02 leads off the BMW Fxx chassis code!

Old 04-23-2012, 12:51 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 Alpina B7
Looking to buy Alpina B7

Hi Everyone! Been a short time lurker and found this forum very helpful in researching my next BMW purchase. I've been searching and reading a lot about Alpina B7, leases, Euro delivery etc. but felt it was time to ask for expert input given my specific situation.

Looking to purchase an Alpina B7 LWB either from existing dealer inventory or ordering a new one to my specs. Maybe do Euro delivery, the savings seem pretty good.

The lease terms are pretty good right now. MF: 0.00195, Residual 65% (10k/36 months).

Does anyone know if there are still allocations for new B7's? Is it easier to get an order in if you do Euro delivery? Being that the 2013 models are presented soon (this week?) is it advisable to wait and see what 2013 has to offer? I guess it's always advisable to wait... I just don't know when a 2013 would be delivered. Rumors of the standard 750 getting a bump to 450hp makes me wonder what Alpina will do.

I understand I need to speak to a dealer about all the specifics, but I very much value the input from the community. I want to be well informed when starting the discussions.

Any and all input and feedback is greatly appreciated.

Thanks much!
Advertisement
Old 04-23-2012, 04:11 PM
Sejanus

Mein Auto: From BMWs to Porsches
The B7 is a monster. I think "LIRacer" might be able to help you. You might want to PM him. Please keep us informed. Good luck!

"You think that's air you're breathing now?"
-Morpheus
Old 04-23-2012, 07:00 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2012 Alpina B7 (ordered)
If the 750 is going to make 450hp it doesn't equate necessarily to the B7 making another 50. What I can tell you is from my experience this past year, the Alpina is amazing. It does everything well. It is very balance, very fast, and handles like an M5. In addition (other then tires...many many tires), it has been flawless in 11,000 miles of fast driving. The only issue I had was the wait for it after I ordered one. It took better then four months. Let me know any specific questions you may have.
1965 Vette (ZZ502)
2005 Ford Racing Mustang in SCCA T-2
SCCA National Driver

Old 04-23-2012, 10:07 PM
BMW Addict

Mein Auto: '12 B7, '11 1M, '08 M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by LIRacer View Post
The only issue I had was the wait for it after I ordered one. It took better then four months.

I'm living this right now and it sucks... Ordered on 2/15 and current absolute best case for delivery is the first week of June. Car has been produced, but is in Alpina Limbo for a few weeks before it heads to port.

I've owned a ridiculous number of BMWs and I'm more excited about the arrival of this one than I've been about any other.
Old 04-23-2012, 10:55 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 B7 Alpina
I purchased my SWB B7 off the showroom floor beginning of 2011, I must have been in the market at the right time, quiet a few dealership in LA had them in stock. At the time I found pretty good deals, in the neighborhood of 15-20% off the MSRP.
The one I bought is a fully optioned model, if I were ordering one, I would skip the night vision, pretty useless in LA.

To date 16K mi on the clock it’s been flawless, as LIRacer mentioned, I also had the misfortune of replacing two front wheels, 4 front, 2 rear tires. If it weren’t for the tire n wheel warranty I would have been in the hole for six grand.

You touched on the subject of 2013 750I Hp output vs B7, Alpina’s Hp numbers may or may not change, I wouldn’t be too concerned about that, more so it’s how Alpina tweaked the 7 series to get to 500hp, for instance, you could be running the car hard on a 100F day with a/c you wouldn’t see the temp needle get passed 250. I commute from Malibu to the Valley daily, mostly on Topanga or Malibu cnyn, in manual mode using the shift buttons, sport + still amazes me how this cushy 5000lb sedan can be so at home ripping through the narrow canyons.

At the of the day B7 is a rare car even on the LA streets, I don’t think the dealers stock them as much as they use to, most likely you will have to order it. Good luck with your purchase, it’s an amazing car.
Old 04-24-2012, 10:23 AM

Mein Auto: 2012 Alpina B7 (ordered)
Quote:
Originally Posted by AMP View Post
I'm living this right now and it sucks... Ordered on 2/15 and current absolute best case for delivery is the first week of June. Car has been produced, but is in Alpina Limbo for a few weeks before it heads to port.

I've owned a ridiculous number of BMWs and I'm more excited about the arrival of this one than I've been about any other.
It is REALLY worth the wait!
1965 Vette (ZZ502)
2005 Ford Racing Mustang in SCCA T-2
SCCA National Driver

Old 04-24-2012, 11:59 AM

Mein Auto: E63 AMG, 750 Active7
Alpinas are sexy cars...
Old 04-24-2012, 12:52 PM

Mein Auto: Sienna
Just to add the 2013 Alpina B7 should get the latest 8 speed ZF transmission, major upgarde IMO.

2012 750iAH Mineral White, Oyster Nappa with Fineline Matte Wood trim. Cold, Driver Assistance, Luxury, Instrument panel leather, Sdadowline and BMW Apps.

Retired -
2011 X5 50i M Sport Alpine White
Old 04-24-2012, 02:43 PM

Alpina B7

Thanks everyone for all the replies!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LIRacer View Post
If the 750 is going to make 450hp it doesn't equate necessarily to the B7 making another 50. What I can tell you is from my experience this past year, the Alpina is amazing. It does everything well. It is very balance, very fast, and handles like an M5. In addition (other then tires...many many tires), it has been flawless in 11,000 miles of fast driving. The only issue I had was the wait for it after I ordered one. It took better then four months. Let me know any specific questions you may have.
I agree, even if the 750 gets 450hp, the Alpina is still a different car and different experience. I'm just wondering if I buy a 2012 at the end of the model year, what could I be missing out on the 2013 models (if anything). The lease terms are great for a B7 right now, they may not be the same for 2013 models. Four months, that's a pretty long wait. You have a beautiful silver B7! Looks like it was worth the wait.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMP View Post
The wait will indeed be the hard part. Is 4+ months the norm or were there allocation issues when you ordered?

Quote:
Originally Posted by oneofew View Post
I purchased my SWB B7 off the showroom floor beginning of 2011, I must have been in the market at the right time, quiet a few dealership in LA had them in stock. At the time I found pretty good deals, in the neighborhood of 15-20% off the MSRP.
The one I bought is a fully optioned model, if I were ordering one, I would skip the night vision, pretty useless in LA.

To date 16K mi on the clock it’s been flawless, as LIRacer mentioned, I also had the misfortune of replacing two front wheels, 4 front, 2 rear tires. If it weren’t for the tire n wheel warranty I would have been in the hole for six grand.

You touched on the subject of 2013 750I Hp output vs B7, Alpina’s Hp numbers may or may not change, I wouldn’t be too concerned about that, more so it’s how Alpina tweaked the 7 series to get to 500hp, for instance, you could be running the car hard on a 100F day with a/c you wouldn’t see the temp needle get passed 250. I commute from Malibu to the Valley daily, mostly on Topanga or Malibu cnyn, in manual mode using the shift buttons, sport + still amazes me how this cushy 5000lb sedan can be so at home ripping through the narrow canyons.

At the of the day B7 is a rare car even on the LA streets, I don’t think the dealers stock them as much as they use to, most likely you will have to order it. Good luck with your purchase, it’s an amazing car.
15-20% off MSRP sounds like a great deal. There are some new ones out there, but I think I'll have to order to get it the way I want it (which I'm still trying to decide on color and options). Appreciate the feedback re. Night vision. Saw it in a 750 and looks like a cool gadget, but yeah, probably not needed. What of the options do you use the most? Driver assistance?

I've read and heard of the tire and wheel "issues". Sounds like I'll need tire and wheel warranty (that's extra I assume). It would just suck to be stranded though. I'm not a fan of run flats but they do provide some peace of mind (I know Alpina's are not runflats)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ayu910 View Post
Just to add the 2013 Alpina B7 should get the latest 8 speed ZF transmission, major upgarde IMO.
That's what I'm trying to figure out. What (if any) will the differences be from 2012 to 2013 models. Was hoping to get some indication from Beijing Auto show, but nothing yet.

Does anyone know if there a set date for the production cutover from 2012 to 2013 models? I'm now looking into potentially doing Euro delivery.
Old 04-24-2012, 11:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpbmw View Post

15-20% off MSRP sounds like a great deal. There are some new ones out there, but I think I'll have to order to get it the way I want it (which I'm still trying to decide on color and options). Appreciate the feedback re. Night vision. Saw it in a 750 and looks like a cool gadget, but yeah, probably not needed. What of the options do you use the most? Driver assistance?

I've read and heard of the tire and wheel "issues". Sounds like I'll need tire and wheel warranty (that's extra I assume). It would just suck to be stranded though. I'm not a fan of run flats but they do provide some peace of mind (I know Alpina's are not runflats)
I use the camera pkg the most, it's a big car, comes very handy when parallel parking, or pulling into a parking spot, you can actually see the parking blocks, that alone probably saved my front spoiler a few times. Driver assistance is good, day to day driving I have it off, but works great with the active cruse control, if you do long distance drives, LA-Vegas set the cruse control, it will keep pace with the car in front of you, driver assistance will warn you if you are weaving. Rear entertainment is good if you have kids, however the wireless headphones do not come with it, if you choose that option make sure they included that before you sing off on the car. As for the tires, get the tire n wheel insurance, it will pay off.
Old 04-26-2012, 03:00 PM

Quote:
I use the camera pkg the most, it's a big car, comes very handy when parallel parking, or pulling into a parking spot, you can actually see the parking blocks, that alone probably saved my front spoiler a few times. Driver assistance is good, day to day driving I have it off, but works great with the active cruse control, if you do long distance drives, LA-Vegas set the cruse control, it will keep pace with the car in front of you, driver assistance will warn you if you are weaving. Rear entertainment is good if you have kids, however the wireless headphones do not come with it, if you choose that option make sure they included that before you sing off on the car. As for the tires, get the tire n wheel insurance, it will pay off.
It seems backup camera is standard but to get the side view cameras you have to get the drivers assistance package. Probably need that package then. Rear entertainment - yes. Would like the active cruise control but can't decide if it's worth it. Rear luxury seating, looks very nice still trying to decide. Do you recall how much tire and wheel insurance was? I know I need that :-)

Btw - will send you a PM.

Thanks!
Old 04-26-2012, 09:02 PM

I think drivers assistance package didn't come with the top and side cameras, unless nowadays it's included, camera pkg was an option. As for the T&W insurance not sure of the exact figure, but pretty sure it was in the neighborhood of $1500
Old 08-01-2012, 08:56 PM

Ordered!

Thought I'd just update this with the fact I placed an order for 2013 Alpina B7 a few weeks ago. The lease terms for the 2013 weren't as sweet as the 2012 but there were no '12 production slots left to modify so ended up going with the '13. It's in production as we speak and I'm picking up in Munich Sept 17.

Thanks everyone for all the advice and help!
Old 08-01-2012, 10:13 PM

Mein Auto: ActiveHybrid 7 LI
amazing ride you cant go wrong! And a order on a special car is worth the wait, as you get to really make it excatly the way you want....I had considered one, but when I saw the crazy lease offers on the AH7, and read how the reviews were driving better (more agile in turns because of lighter front end) than the 760 I figured I give the AH7 a shot. After having the car now for 4 months, been driving it to it's limits...and that is fun, I have been very curious on driving the B7 and feeling the difference in the performance mods of it......I'm sure it's fun. I wouldnt expect to see massive differences in acceleration from what I believe I've read...but I would like to see the handling differences, because I have a hunch they would show up most there! Either way the order wait will drive you nuts, tracking it online....I still remember the name of my ship it came on!.....
Old 08-01-2012, 11:33 PM
BMW rocks!

Mein Auto: 2013 750I M
If I were to buy an Alpina, I would special order it the exact way I wanted. To me, researching and waiting on a car is the most fun process, and the day it arrives will be the most exciting moment.

Enjoy and make sure to post some pictures! Yours should be the first LCI Alpina on the forum!

2013 750i M, 2014 X1
Old 08-02-2012, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdefg2000 View Post
I had considered one, but when I saw the crazy lease offers on the AH7...
The AH7 deal was incredible and I would have jumped on it as well had I known about it. I now check this forum daily!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Individual750LI View Post
To me, researching and waiting on a car is the most fun process, and the day it arrives will be the most exciting moment. Enjoy and make sure to post some pictures! Yours should be the first LCI Alpina on the forum!
The research has been fun and the waiting has been ok so far. I'm pretty sure the worst wait will be between dropping it off in Germany and re-delivery in the US...

I'll post picks upon delivery!
Old 08-05-2012, 12:52 PM
AL PRIEBE

Mein Auto: 2012 650ix
New order

[QUOTE=alpbmw;6985878]Thought I'd just update this with the fact I placed an order for 2013 Alpina B7 a few weeks ago. The lease terms for the 2013 weren't as sweet as the 2012 but there were no '12 production slots left to modify so ended up going with the '13. It's in production as we speak and I'm picking up in Munich Sept 17.

Thanks everyone for all the advice and help![/QUOTE

I ordered mine on July 27th, the only thing it states on the phone is car ordered, ready for production with no specific production date? When did they start giving you information of a production date or build date? Thanks in Advance!
Old 08-05-2012, 01:16 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 X5M, 13 x6 5.0 soon
Only the dealer knows the production week, the tracking system does not give you an estimated date for when the car will go into production. The next message after no specific production date will be your car is in production with an estimated completion date.
Old 08-05-2012, 01:41 PM

I ordered mine on July 27th, the only thing it states on the phone is car ordered, ready for production with no specific production date? When did they start giving you information of a production date or build date? Thanks in Advance![/QUOTE]

I had the same message initially but it just switched last week to say "in production". I ordered about a month before the '13 models were announced but I think they simply don't start production until its closer to pick up date (I'm doing ED). If you ordered for US delivery I'm not sure what the schedule is. But yeah, like the previous poster said, the dealer should know.

Enjoy the car!
Old 08-06-2012, 08:45 PM

Mein Auto: M3
Quote:
Thought I'd just update this with the fact I placed an order for 2013 Alpina B7 a few weeks ago. The lease terms for the 2013 weren't as sweet as the 2012 but there were no '12 production slots left to modify so ended up going with the '13. It's in production as we speak and I'm picking up in Munich Sept 17.

Thanks everyone for all the advice and help!
Alpbmw

Congrats! What specs did you end up ordering?

Do you mind sharing the lease rates (mf, residual, etc) that you got? I'm thinking about a B7 too! Thanks
Old 08-06-2012, 09:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by m3m3m3 View Post
Alpbmw

Congrats! What specs did you end up ordering?

Do you mind sharing the lease rates (mf, residual, etc) that you got? I'm thinking about a B7 too! Thanks
Thank you! Ordered Alpina Blue with Ivory White/Black Nappa. Drivers assistance, Full LED lights, B&O, Rear seat entertainment, BMW Apps. Basically left off the night vision and active cruise control. MF was 0.00145 (+ ED adder). Residual was the same as the regular 750 (I don't recall exactly and have to dig it up when I get back home tomorrow).
Old 08-07-2012, 10:32 PM

Quote:
Thank you! Ordered Alpina Blue with Ivory White/Black Nappa. Drivers assistance, Full LED lights, B&O, Rear seat entertainment, BMW Apps. Basically left off the night vision and active cruise control. MF was 0.00145 (+ ED adder). Residual was the same as the regular 750 (I don't recall exactly and have to dig it up when I get back home tomorrow).
Congrats, that's a beautiful combination, maybe I'll run into you again one of these days, see it in person, especially I love to hear the B&O.
Old 08-08-2012, 08:06 AM

Mein Auto: 2012 ActiveHybrid 7 SWB
Quote:
I'm interested in getting your thoughts about why you chose the B7 over the M5. I'm in a situation where my wife doesn't want us to get an M5, but hasn't said no the to the B7.

3/12 ED 7 - thread ID 610350
1/11 ED 6 - thread ID 5767556&postcount=175
4/10 ED 5 - thread ID 453501
5/08 ED 4 - thread ID 290679
3/07 ED 3 - thread ID 201013
3/06 ED 2 - thread ID 136454
Old 08-08-2012, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Congrats, that's a beautiful combination, maybe I'll run into you again one of these days, see it in person, especially I love to hear the B&O.
Thank you! We'll definitely need to make sure to meet again. Doing ED mid Sept so probably won't have the car here until November :-( I'll PM you my contact info.
Old 08-08-2012, 12:30 PM

B7 or M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrischeung View Post
I'm interested in getting your thoughts about why you chose the B7 over the M5. I'm in a situation where my wife doesn't want us to get an M5, but hasn't said no the to the B7.
Pretty much the same situation for me. My wife really liked the roomier backseat of the LWB 7-series (we have a baby and it makes it a lot easier to get him in/out of the car seat). When we shopped for our current 750Li I was eying an M5 but the legroom in the backseat and overall good deal on the 750 won out at that time. This time around we really didn't look at an M5 as an option as we wanted the big back seat. Also, I feel like the B7 has just the right mix of luxury/comfort and sportiness - with emphasis on luxury/comfort. It's also pretty rare (well, maybe not in So. Cal.) If I was choosing between a SWB B7 and an M5 the decision would be harder, especially with the new M5 just out.

Good luck, don't see how you can go wrong with either!