Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E53 (1999 - 2006)

X5 E53 (1999 - 2006)
The X5 SAV Forum

Old 10-15-2012, 01:21 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: E53 X5 2004 3.0 SPORT
E53 Wing Mirror

Hi

I have just purchased a 4.4i E53 X5 2002 and the passenger side wing mirror does not fold in when the button is pressed but rather makes a loud clicking sound. To me it sounds like a gear has lost a few teeth? Is the wing mirror easy to take apart and is this easily fixable? thanks in advance. Tony.
Advertisement
Old 10-15-2012, 06:16 AM
RetiredBum

Mein Auto: '01 X5 3.0 '02VetteVert
They don't auto fold, here in the Colonies...here, they do have a setting to 'lower' the mirror angle when car is put into reverse; sort of a 'curb view'.
Ours fold, but it's manual snap it close/open it up method.

Maybe a UK maven can help, if yours really has that auto fold ability.
GL, mD
'10 Hyundai Tucson for the CEO, & 3 Assorted M'Cycles.
BMW CCA mem. Tarheel Chapter
My Flickr...Scenes,Cars & Road Trip Pics:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/45275375@N00/
Old 10-15-2012, 06:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by motordavid View Post
They don't auto fold, here in the Colonies...here, they do have a setting to 'lower' the mirror angle when car is put into reverse; sort of a 'curb view'.
Ours fold, but it's manual snap it close/open it up method.

Maybe a UK maven can help, if yours really has that auto fold ability.
GL, mD
Hi. There is a small button on the inside of the drivers door located next to the button for adjusting the orientation of the wing mirror glass. When this button is pressed the wing mirrors fold in towards the doors. I supppose this is to protect the wing mirrors when parked etc. The drivers wing mirror folds in fine but the passneger wing mirror just makes a horrible clunking noise. I will try and dismantle tonight and investigate.....
Old 10-16-2012, 12:30 PM

Send a message via AIM to ChezWhiz Send a message via MSN to ChezWhiz Send a message via Yahoo to ChezWhiz
Mein Auto: 2001 X5 4.4i
"Is the wing mirror easy to take apart...?"
-->Yes, you can search the forum or XOutpost.com for disassembly instructions. To fully remove the entire mirror: http://www.xoutpost.com/articles/x5/...-retrofit.html

"Is the wing mirror easily fixable?"
-->No, at least I haven't found an easy way to fix mine (both sides of my '05 have the same problem). There's a tiny metal clip that works as a sensor on the gear. When "tripped" it's supposed to allow the gear to rotate to a fixed point (mirrors in) and then when re-set it supposed to allow the gear to rotate back. If you're lucky, you might be able to bend the clip back into shape. I wasn't so lucky and BMW doesn't sell just a replacement for this clip. You have to buy the whole mirror (and they're expensive). If you do find something that works or somewhere you can buy a replacement part, please post that information here.

Last edited by ChezWhiz; 10-16-2012 at 12:33 PM. Reason: info wrong
Old 10-21-2012, 09:22 AM

wing mirror

took the wing mirror apart at the weekend and found a gear inside that has worn

found a guy on ebay selling the exact gear so I have ordered a new one. hope it fixes the problem
Old 10-21-2012, 09:56 AM
Propellers Up Front

Mein Auto: Some Bavarian car outside
Quote:
Originally Posted by white_lancer View Post
took the wing mirror apart at the weekend and found a gear inside that has worn
Nice, you should post a quick and small DIY. It would be good for those
who don't have the option and want to retrofit which would leave the
window switch and programming. Nice that you found the culprit though.
Old 11-09-2016, 08:36 PM

Mein Auto: X5 E53 4.6is
halo, dudes
I have met a headache scenario on the left side mirror my X5 4.6is (RHD), it can be folded but cannot be retracted back to normal position. Really make me flat up

Initially, my car garbage and me thought it is just a simple issue to replace the Gear Set of the side mirror, but finally it is failed. My car garbage has tried to connect the side mirror with individual electric power other than the car, the side mirror could be folded and retracted smoothly in this way. However, it still couldn't be retracted with the power of the car. My car garbage said that the problem will be persist even changing the whole set of side mirror assembly, and don't know what a true reason it is, they just guess " the electric circuit (controller or relay) for the mirror motor inside the left door to control the Left side mirror has been gone wrong ".

It seems like there isn't any assembly parts available to replace the electric circuit (controller or relay) inside the door available in the market. Dudes, did you meet this problem before, and know how to repair it, or any assembly parts you can suggest me to buy in order to fix this problem

Thank you very much for your feedback in advance !!!
Old 11-10-2016, 10:00 PM

Mein Auto: 2006 x5 Diesel
There is a micro switch in the mirror assembly that often fails they are available thru China but the vendor wants about $150 for three units that should sell for a couple of bucks each. I decided I can live without folding mirrors. The previous owner put an almost identical switch in but because both have to trigger at the same time mine fold in then fold out . Oh well first world problems.
Old 11-10-2016, 10:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by acidgreeny View Post
There is a micro switch in the mirror assembly that often fails they are available thru China but the vendor wants about $150 for three units that should sell for a couple of bucks each. I decided I can live without folding mirrors. The previous owner put an almost identical switch in but because both have to trigger at the same time mine fold in then fold out . Oh well first world problems.
Do you have a photo on the "microswitch", and the supplier address or contacts for my reference?
Old 11-11-2016, 12:42 AM

just search on ebay or thru google,its on a site like alibaba or chinasale or something. if i find it i will post
Old 11-11-2016, 12:44 AM

here she is good luck if you find it cheaper let us in on it , cheers.
http://www.hongmei.com.tw/shop/power...-micro-switch/
Old 11-11-2016, 02:26 AM

Quote:
here she is good luck if you find it cheaper let us in on it , cheers.
http://www.hongmei.com.tw/shop/power...-micro-switch/
Thank you very much for your sharing, acidgreeny !
How come there are two kinds of microswitch, one is waterproof ?
What is the function of this microswitch ? Is it used to identify the signal of + or - voltage from the power mirror switch to send a signal to the mirror to fold or retract ?
Old 11-11-2016, 07:50 AM

Quote:
just search on ebay or thru google,its on a site like alibaba or chinasale or something. if i find it i will post

I have found a microswitch sensor in Ebay, but dun know it is the one you are talking.
The outlook is quite smaller and different from the one from Taiwan you referred
Would you mind check it if it is the one you refer the key fault of my side mirror.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/BMW-X5-E53-F.../222290956509?
Old 11-11-2016, 04:02 PM

there's no way of telling if its the same . And at 55 pounds its not cheap. If you really want one the i would go the China route as that is a direct replacement.Both switches have to activate at the same time to send a signal for the mirrors to stay closed . And until you open up your mirrors you don't know if you need 1 or 2. as i said previously the former owner of my car put a replacement in but because of slight differences they don't fire at the same time and therefore wont stay closed.
Your problem sounds like the gear set more than the switch.
Old 11-11-2016, 07:29 PM

Quote:
there's no way of telling if its the same . And at 55 pounds its not cheap. If you really want one the i would go the China route as that is a direct replacement.Both switches have to activate at the same time to send a signal for the mirrors to stay closed . And until you open up your mirrors you don't know if you need 1 or 2. as i said previously the former owner of my car put a replacement in but because of slight differences they don't fire at the same time and therefore wont stay closed.

both side of the side mirrors have already changed a new set of gears and motor, and the malfunction of left side mirror has already tested to fold and retract with external power. Thus, it seems like not the fault of gear set .......
Old 11-13-2016, 09:57 PM

Quote:

the left side mirror can be fold-in and retracted with external power, it seems not to be the problem from its gear set

I am wondering if the sensor of the right side mirror, or the main switch goes fault, and then causing the problem in left side mirror instead of the the sensor of the left side mirror or the gear set. If not, do you think if I need to change a new MIRROR SET ?
Old 11-13-2016, 10:15 PM

As the left side mirror can be fold-in and retracted with external power, it seems not to be the problem from its gear set

I am wondering if the sensor of the right side mirror, or the main switch goes fault, and then causing the problem in left side mirror instead of the the sensor of the left side mirror or the gear set. If not, do you think if I need to change a new MIRROR SET instead of changing the microswitch ?
Old 11-24-2016, 02:06 PM

Mein Auto: E30, E53, E83
There are a number of problems in the way those mirrors are designed/manufactured. I think I have a good plan for fixing most of the design/wear problems but I need to get a hold of a set to work on. If anyone has a set of none working ones please PM me. Thanks

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E53 (1999 - 2006)
Today's Posts Search