Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)

F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)
The new chapter in the highly successful story of the BMW 5 Series Sedan (F10) and wagon (F11)

Old 10-15-2012, 06:43 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2005 X5
RFTs on Leased 535xi

I am thinking of leasing a 535xi for 36 months based on $15K miles per year. This would equate to 45,000 miles.

Can I expect the RFTs to last that long? If not, what is the approximate cost to replace 4 RFTs?

If I replace the run flats, does anyone know if it is OK to return a leased BMW with non-RFTs?

(FWIW, I have leased BMWs without RFTs in the past, and returned the cars with 45K miles and the tires still passed inspection.)
Ads by Google
Old 10-15-2012, 07:08 AM

Mein Auto: 2012 535xi 2013 X3 35i
Chances are, the runflats are not going to last 45000 miles. If you do not drive agressively and do a lot of highway, its certainly possible for a set of runflats to last 45000 miles. A set of runflat will probably cost you $1700 or so to install, a bit more if you use the dealer. You need to return your lease vehicle with runflats tires.

Last edited by The X Men; 10-15-2012 at 07:11 AM.
Old 10-15-2012, 07:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The X Men View Post
Chances are, the runflats are not going to last 45000 miles. If you do not drive agressively and do a lot of highway, its certainly possible for a set of runflats to last 45000 miles. A set of runflat will probably cost you $1700 or so to install, a bit more if you use the dealer. You need to return your lease vehicle with runflats tires.
Thank you for the information. This looks like I will need to factor in an additional $1,700 for the 535xi lease which equates to another $47/month.

This is an expense I usually do not associate with leasing. In the past I have leased BMW for 36 months and enjoyed no additional costs including service, tires, etc.
Old 10-15-2012, 08:10 AM

Mein Auto: 328xi M, Range Rover, 911
runflats on my wife's 328 xi Msport lasted...... 15,000 miles the 2nd set with 27,000 on them now are noisier then the off road tires on my Jeep

2013 550 xi Msport
2005 Range Rover HSE Grey/Grey
2009 MB C 300 4Matic
1997 Porsche 993 C4S Black/Black
2005 Jeep TJ
Old 10-15-2012, 09:23 AM

Mein Auto: F10 6MT
Quote:
You can always buy a set of non-run flats to use for the first 2 years or so and then add the run flats later. Just my 2 cents, I may do this myself.

Last edited by miamiboyca; 10-15-2012 at 09:24 AM.
Old 10-15-2012, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by miamiboyca View Post
You can always buy a set of non-run flats to use for the first 2 years or so and then add the run flats later. Just my 2 cents, I may do this myself.
A few owners here have done that, its a good idea if you dont like runflats, but I would feel bad for who ever buy the lease car, because they are getting 3 year old rubber.
Old 10-15-2012, 10:37 AM

Mein Auto: 2013 535i
Quote:
Originally Posted by miamiboyca View Post
I'm saying pretty much the same thing that you are, but on my next lease I think I'm going to leave the run flats on for a year or so, but go ahead and take them off with enough tread still on them that no one could give me any trouble with the amount of tread left at turn in. Replace them with whatever I want for the last two years, then slip the original run flats back on a little before turn in.

BTW, On my last lease, ('09 Z4), I got through the whole 25k mile lease on the fronts (but they were getting pretty worn on the sides), and had to replace the rears after about 20k miles (they were really worn when they got replaced).

2013 BMW 535i ED-11/23/12 Redelivery- 1/12/13
1978 BMW 320i (paused project)
2009 BMW Z4sdrive35i (ret.)
1995 BMW M3 (ret.)
1987 BMW 325i (ret.)
Old 10-15-2012, 10:58 AM
Gib mir Feurschutz!

Mein Auto: 2013 750i
Quote:
A few owners here have done that, its a good idea if you dont like runflats, but I would feel bad for who ever buy the lease car, because they are getting 3 year old rubber.
That's what I did, but I did it because I didn't like the ride difference and I wanted new wheels. My four wheels and tires are in boxes and bags in my attic. Nothing will happen to 3 year old tires.

The roads out here aren't terrible like back east, just the hard side wall compromises ride comfort, my 20" wheels with less sidewall are smoother than the optional 19"s with RFTs lol!

2013 BMW 750i - Coded, Executive, Lighting, Cold Weather, M Sport, M 303 Wheels, 5% Tint, Conti DWS Tires, 3M Bra, Vinyl Black Gloss Roof Wrap, Exhaust Flap Mod.
Old 10-15-2012, 11:00 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 528i
Quote:
As long as you keep the tires out of sun, they should be fine. If you are concerned about the price of the runflats and want to minimize your investment, I would replace them with non run flats and then reinstall the runflats when your non-runflats wear out or before lease turn in.
Old 10-15-2012, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingpenM3 View Post
I'm saying pretty much the same thing that you are, but on my next lease I think I'm going to leave the run flats on for a year or so, but go ahead and take them off with enough tread still on them that no one could give me any trouble with the amount of tread left at turn in. Replace them with whatever I want for the last two years, then slip the original run flats back on a little before turn in.

Nice logical solution.
Old 10-15-2012, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Yeah, but if you are lucky enough to have the the original tires last 3 years with enough tread -isn't that rubber still 3 years old?

Who nows how long a tire sits in a warehouse before it gets installed and used. Frankly until this post I have never really even thought about how old the rubber is...
Old 10-15-2012, 12:41 PM

One of the news channel did a segment on old rubber tires a few years ago, they were trying to draw attention to the consumers as to how to read the manufacturer's date code on new tires and the fact that some of the so called brand new tires are a few years old when you buy them. Mercedes have stated that any tires older than 6 years might post a problem while tire manufacturers say its more like a 10 year shelf life.
Old 10-15-2012, 01:08 PM

Quote:
One of the news channel did a segment on old rubber tires a few years ago, they were trying to draw attention to the consumers as to how to read the manufacturer's date code on new tires and the fact that some of the so called brand new tires are a few years old when you buy them. Mercedes have stated that any tires older than 6 years might post a problem while tire manufacturers say its more like a 10 year shelf life.
Interesting... probably somewhere in between.
Old 10-17-2012, 08:39 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 535i
19600 miles and have plenty of rubber on front and soon will need rears. But my saving grace has been religiously checking tire pressure every month. Getting every inch of tread you can but you can expect to replace once.
Old 10-18-2012, 05:42 PM

Mein Auto: 2012 535i/2009 x5
can I swap to non run flats using my current rims or do I need also a new set of rims

2008 328i dark graphite ,cold weather pack,USB/ ipod/black leatherette SOLD
hers: 2009 X5 alpine white, dakota tobbaco leather,sport, DHP
premium pack
Old 10-19-2012, 05:30 AM

The OEM rims are fine.
Old 10-19-2012, 02:21 PM
///Monkeyazz Duck

Mein Auto: 535iX M Sport; 328i Wagon
Lots of half-truths on here.

First, the mileage you can get out of any tires - RFT or not - depends not just on driving style, but road surface and tire compound. The OP states he is considering an xi, which comes with all season tires. You can safely assume you will get more tread life from these than from the summer performance tires that come on a RWD ZSP or ZMP.

Second, leased BMW's (other than M cars) must ALWAYS be returned with RFT's from an APPROVED manufacturer. There is no gray area here.

Third, it is often cheaper to let BMWFS charge you for tires at lease end than replace them on your own. E.g. the 20" tires on an E70 ZSP will cost between $450 (Bridgestone) and $650 (Dunlop) if you buy them retail, vs. a $400 charge from BMWFS if you return the vehicle with bald or non-RFT tires. Add in the cost of mounting, balancing, TPMS rebuild, etc., and you often (not always) come out cheaper this way.

Fourth, I got a chuckle out of the poster who said he would "feel bad" for whoever bought the car at lease end, because they were getting 3 year old rubber. SRSLY???? Used car buyers get what they get. And CPO buyers get new rubber, because the dealer replaces it. Of all the things you could lose sleep over, this is silly.

Now specific advice for the OP. The xi you lease will have All Season rubber. AS is by definition a compromise. It does nothing well, but rather is mediocre across a large range of condidions. You state you live in New England. You almost certainly will go through at least two sets of tires in 45,000 miles. The sensible course is to buy a set of dedicated SNOW TIRES, and mount these from December 1st to May 1st. You will be significantly safer for the 5 months of the year you have the snows mounted. (Dedicated snows not only accelerate better in winter conditions, but they brake and corner better. Meaning you have a better chance of avoiding that kid in the Civic when he comes sliding through the stop sign on his bald tires). If you put 20,000 miles on your snows, you have a fighting chance that your A/S tires will still have sufficient tread depth at lease end. If not, you will likely be able to find a set that some other F10 owner has taken off.

Even better, mount those snows on dedicated winter rims from the Tire Rack or Town Fair tire. You will save enough money in mounting and balancing to recoup the cost of the wheels in the 3 years you drive the car, and you can sell them on eBay at lease end for 30 to 40% what you paid for them. Best of all, having a mounted A/S sitting in your garage means you can opt for NON-RFT snow tires, saving you even more money.

Trust me. This is the way to go.

Current BMW's:
2014 328i Sport Wagon, Glacier / Black, ZSL, ZD2, ZD3, ZDH, ZLP, ZPP, ZTP, and H-K
2011 535xi M Sport TiAg / Black, ZPP, ZP2, ZCV, ZCW, ZDA, 2TB, 6NR, 465, 5DL, and a Partridge in a Pear Tree

Prior BMW's
2011 X5 35D
2008 ///M3 Vert
2008 X5 3.0
2007 X5 3.0
2006 X5 3.0
2006 550iA SP
2003 540iA M-Sport

Last edited by quackbury; 10-19-2012 at 02:23 PM.
Old 10-20-2012, 04:59 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 535ix and 2011 X5
I agree 100%...this makes the most sense in northern climates...
Quote:
Originally Posted by quackbury View Post
Lots of half-truths on here.

First, the mileage you can get out of any tires - RFT or not - depends not just on driving style, but road surface and tire compound. The OP states he is considering an xi, which comes with all season tires. You can safely assume you will get more tread life from these than from the summer performance tires that come on a RWD ZSP or ZMP.

Second, leased BMW's (other than M cars) must ALWAYS be returned with RFT's from an APPROVED manufacturer. There is no gray area here.

Third, it is often cheaper to let BMWFS charge you for tires at lease end than replace them on your own. E.g. the 20" tires on an E70 ZSP will cost between $450 (Bridgestone) and $650 (Dunlop) if you buy them retail, vs. a $400 charge from BMWFS if you return the vehicle with bald or non-RFT tires. Add in the cost of mounting, balancing, TPMS rebuild, etc., and you often (not always) come out cheaper this way.

Fourth, I got a chuckle out of the poster who said he would "feel bad" for whoever bought the car at lease end, because they were getting 3 year old rubber. SRSLY???? Used car buyers get what they get. And CPO buyers get new rubber, because the dealer replaces it. Of all the things you could lose sleep over, this is silly.

Now specific advice for the OP. The xi you lease will have All Season rubber. AS is by definition a compromise. It does nothing well, but rather is mediocre across a large range of condidions. You state you live in New England. You almost certainly will go through at least two sets of tires in 45,000 miles. The sensible course is to buy a set of dedicated SNOW TIRES, and mount these from December 1st to May 1st. You will be significantly safer for the 5 months of the year you have the snows mounted. (Dedicated snows not only accelerate better in winter conditions, but they brake and corner better. Meaning you have a better chance of avoiding that kid in the Civic when he comes sliding through the stop sign on his bald tires). If you put 20,000 miles on your snows, you have a fighting chance that your A/S tires will still have sufficient tread depth at lease end. If not, you will likely be able to find a set that some other F10 owner has taken off.

Even better, mount those snows on dedicated winter rims from the Tire Rack or Town Fair tire. You will save enough money in mounting and balancing to recoup the cost of the wheels in the 3 years you drive the car, and you can sell them on eBay at lease end for 30 to 40% what you paid for them. Best of all, having a mounted A/S sitting in your garage means you can opt for NON-RFT snow tires, saving you even more money.

Trust me. This is the way to go.