Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E30 (1982 - 1993)

E30 (1982 - 1993)
God's Chariot. The E30 was produced primarily from 1982 through 1991. The cabriolet was the one exception which was produced through 1993.

Old 10-15-2012, 02:23 PM

Mein Auto: 87 325E
Exclamation New to forum ,Need Help!!!

PLEASE TAKE TIME TO READ THIS .NEED HELP

so today i bought myself a E30 sedan and havent had much luck so far ....hopefully someone on here can help me out ..

i drove home and it worked fine , i shut it off and all was good ...i decided to make sure everything was in order and fired it up once more before heading in ... when i went to shut it off nothing happend. Everytime i would turn the key to OFF position my idle would jump back and forth preventing shutdown .. figuring it was just a bad ignition cyl/switch i stalled it .
my lights and power were still on for some reason even with key out so i unplugged the battery ...soon after i came back outside to tinker with it ; i hooked my battery back up and noticed smoke coming from the dash so quickly unplugged it.... i then took the stereo out (aftermarket tape deck which was poorly installed) and noticed a thicker black wire had melted on the connector (stereo to vehicle) . now my car wont start at all (still gets power because lights come on) but wont even attempt to turn over ... someone please give me a hand . what steps should i take? anyone have these problems before?

if you can include pictures or links...anything ..it would be greatly appreciated
thanks in advance guys

also... could this have anything to do with the alarm system ? i chcecked under the dash and the orange plug was already disconnected so idk ... is there a direct fuse i can unplug to disable the alarm?

Last edited by deanclarke911; 10-15-2012 at 02:33 PM.
Advertisement
Old 10-15-2012, 03:33 PM
That Guy

Mein Auto: 99' 540i M-Sport
It depends on the Alarm. I used to install alarms, remote starts, and audio.

For Alarm:
Quote:
Constant 12V+ Red Ignition Switch Harness Starter Black/Yellow Ignition Switch Harness
Ignition Green Ignition Switch Harness
Accessory Purple Ignition Switch Harness
Tach Black Diagnostic Connector
Brake Switch Green/Red Brake Switch
Trunk Pin Brown/Black (-) Trunk Light
Parking Lights Left = Gray/Yellow, right = Gray/White Gray/White R at Light Switch
Head Lamp Yellow/Green (-) Light Switch
Hood Pin n/a
Factory Disarm n/a
Door Trigger Brown/Purple (-) Driver's Kick Panel at Dome Delay Relay
Door Lock Yellow/Blue (-) Driver's Kick Speaker KEEP Relays UPright
Door Unlock Green/Blue (-)
Horn Wire Brown/Yellow (-) Steering Column
For the stereo:
Quote:
Switched 12V+ Purple
Ground Brown
Illumination n/a
Dimmer n/a
Antenna Left Rear
Front Speakers 5 1/4" Kick Panels
Left Front (+) White
Left Front (-) Black
Right Front (+) White
Right Front (-) Black
Rear Speakers 5 1/4" Rear Deck
Left Rear (+) White
Left Rear (-) Black
Right Rear (+) White
Right Rear (-) Black
http://www.the12volt.com/installbay/...tail/2269.html

I would say any "extra" wires going to any of these underlined wires.. disconnect. But it almost sounds like your ignition switch may not be making full contact.

1985 335i
Black on Black coupe 5spd
R.I.P

1979 Trans Am 10th Anniversary
#16 of 5,683 made

KOI Import Parts-- 513-771-7777