Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)

X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)
Talk about the E83 BMW X3 in this forum!

Old 10-15-2012, 10:53 PM
RC Car Speeder

Mein Auto: BMW X3,850i, 1969 GTO,
Unhappy Oh No! Terrible Milk Mildew Water leak problem!

Hey everyone, I need help since I got a bad smell that I need to get rid of in my X3. Basically back in June or July, I picked up some groceries and put them in the cargo area. Some of the items were milks and they were somehow not secured in the back. Well what I didn't realize and forgot is milk leaks through the cap even if theyre closed if they fall on their sides. Well I pretty much had milk leak in places in my cargo area! And thats when I discovered that milk is probrably the WORST liquid to spill ever.....since it will mildew later and it will smell very bad.

So I pretty much spent a whole day cleaning it up until I didn't smell it anymore. I didn't smell it even when I parked the car in the hot sun which I felt relieved and life went back to normal thinking I cleaned it all up. Fast forward to October of today of this posting, I went to go pull the car in since the garage needed stuff done and it was sitting out in the rain and its cold out. I pretty much smelled a mildew smell and it reminded me of the milk smell. I looked around in the trunk and pretty much discovered that I had missed some milk that had spilled down behind the right rear floor under the right cover that removes. To make it worse, it smells because some rain it looks like leaked into the car and it pretty much reactivated the milk and has caused it to mildew.
I'm pretty much freaking out right now but I need to figure out how to get to the area to clean it up. Theres a pocket on the right that I need removed to get to it but looking on RealOEM I can't find a parts explosion for that area.

I read a few threads on others having this water leak and my concern for fixing my water leak isn't big, its cleaning and getting rid of that smell so I need help taking that Grey inset storage compartment out. This thread shows a picture of what I need out. I also posted a picture that shows where the smell is coming from.
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=618510

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Sorry for the long post.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Leak1.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	118.9 KB
ID:	345912   Click image for larger version

Name:	Leak2.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	164.2 KB
ID:	345913  
Advertisement
Old 10-16-2012, 06:43 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2008 X3.0si
I donít know how much of these instructions you need to get that out, because it looks a little convoluted - but might be of some help
Attached Files
File Type: pdf #1 installing_replacing storage compartment in luggage compartment on.pdf (19.5 KB, 58 views)
File Type: pdf #2.pdf (14.5 KB, 50 views)
File Type: pdf #3.pdf (56.5 KB, 57 views)
File Type: pdf #4.pdf (36.6 KB, 40 views)
File Type: pdf #5.pdf (36.3 KB, 39 views)
File Type: pdf #6.pdf (24.4 KB, 96 views)
File Type: pdf #7.pdf (29.0 KB, 54 views)
File Type: pdf #8.pdf (20.4 KB, 54 views)
File Type: pdf #9.pdf (72.1 KB, 42 views)
File Type: pdf #10.pdf (16.6 KB, 43 views)
File Type: pdf #11.pdf (31.8 KB, 45 views)
Old 10-16-2012, 11:39 AM
RC Car Speeder

Mein Auto: BMW X3,850i, 1969 GTO,
All right! Thanks for those PDFs. These will help me for sure. Definitely going to save these.