Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > M Series > F10 M5 (2012 - Current)

F10 M5 (2012 - Current)
The count down is on. The BMW M5 F10 will be released on April 1st, 2011!

Old 05-07-2013, 05:49 AM

Mein Auto: 2013 F10 M5
Manual vs DCT

There is a nice 6 on the floor manual shift Alpine white M5 in Houston. I am going to test drive it and was wondering if anyone out there owns one or is there experience here with what might be the downside of getting a manual. I assume that the computers are faster and more efficient at shifting than I am but I used to drive stick shifts and always liked it. It's been over 20 years since I had one though.
Ads by Google
Old 05-07-2013, 08:11 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2000 528 MT
bmw roundel magazine in its latest issue discussed it. If you feel comfortable driving a stick, buy the stick.Nothing says driving experience better than a MT,
Old 05-07-2013, 11:10 AM

Mein Auto: 2013 s28i X1
The joy of driving a manual F10 is the cover story on this month's Roundel. Reading it was very compelling
Old 05-08-2013, 07:34 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 BMW 550ix
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrsbmw View Post
There is a nice 6 on the floor manual shift Alpine white M5 in Houston. I am going to test drive it and was wondering if anyone out there owns one or is there experience here with what might be the downside of getting a manual. I assume that the computers are faster and more efficient at shifting than I am but I used to drive stick shifts and always liked it. It's been over 20 years since I had one though.
Look, like most everything else, there is a trade-off. There are times when the stick will be exhilarating and you'll be glad you chose it and other times when it will be frustrating and you'll curse the day you bought one. A lot depends on where and how you drive (highways, little traffic or traffic jams and local drives). How old are you (do you have the strength left, clutching-declutching can kill your back, it did mine)? Will you be leasing? If not then resale comes into play.

I will say this: to a lot of people driving a 6-speed makes you "special", a real driver with skills that are superior to those of other, mere mortal, drivers. In truth, there are a lot of skills involved in driving (e.g. knowing how to steer, when to brake, etc.) but those kind of skills are very rarely spoken of with the same reverence as driving a stick. Even Bob Bondurant, I believe, once said his everyday car had an automatic because why would he want to bother shifting through traffic, especially when he does that for a living. In other words, he had already proved himself, didn't need any more ego massaging.

Granted, there are tangible advantages to a 6-speed, I always loved the ability to shift down when I wanted, any number of gears, to get the "bite" I needed in the engine. But I think the DCT may offer the same flexibility, and maybe before too long the mark of a real driver will be taken to be his (her) ability to manipulate the DCT better than anyone else.

Like I often tell people: "everything has a cost". At my age and doing a lot of local driving and probably purchasing my next car I will almost certainly opt for a DCT. But you only live once, evaluate the trade-off for yourself.

Sorry I didn't actually answer your question, I hoped to just contribute the opinion that there is no answer.

Good Luck. Nice decision to have to make.
Old 06-06-2013, 03:55 AM

Mein Auto: 335 xDrive
This was the toughest decision I had to make relating to the M5. I went DCT out of respect for the designers' intent.

It's convenient, fast, and very high tech. And souless. I've driven a stick all my life and miss putting my personal touch on starting out, shifting up and down so smoothly my passengers can't feel it, and heel toeing into fast corners.

Given this review, I still can't say I'd get the 6MT next time. The purpose of this car for me is not to be a sports car, but rather to be a highly capable daily driver. I wish for the stick sometimes, but appreciate the DCT.

+1 for 'there is no answer'. Even for me!
Old 06-07-2013, 03:24 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 M5 MONTE CARLO BLUE
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTR-Dad View Post
This was the toughest decision I had to make relating to the M5. I went DCT out of respect for the designers' intent.

It's convenient, fast, and very high tech. And souless. I've driven a stick all my life and miss putting my personal touch on starting out, shifting up and down so smoothly my passengers can't feel it, and heel toeing into fast corners.

Given this review, I still can't say I'd get the 6MT next time. The purpose of this car for me is not to be a sports car, but rather to be a highly capable daily driver. I wish for the stick sometimes, but appreciate the DCT.

+1 for 'there is no answer'. Even for me!
Good review. I am in the process of buying a new M5 right now and I am REALLY struggling with going with the DCT or the Manual. I have test driven both and to be honest I thought the manual was more enjoyable to drive, but currently being in a 8 speed steptronic now I do understand the benefits and versatility of the DCT. I want to go manual in my heart and gut, but after reading so many reviews my head says DCT. But I will say the F10 M5 is very fun to drive and smooth in the six speed manual, regardless of what all the writers and critics are saying. If any current M5 owners having experience with the 6 speed manual please voice your opinion of how the performance has been and do you have any regrets and same with the DCT OWNERS.

Last edited by FTC; 06-07-2013 at 03:27 PM.
Old 06-08-2013, 07:38 AM

Mein Auto: 750Li
How fast DCT compared to Porsche PDK?
Old 06-09-2013, 05:16 PM

Mein Auto: 335Hybrid;F10 M5
Yes. I have tested the M5 6MT and thought it was a blast. I left the test drive giggling like a little kid. I do regret not getting it and opting for the DCT to be more practical and I miss the total control you have over the RPM. I do a lot of my driving in traffic though so I might have regretted going the manual route, who knows.
2012 Jaguar FXR
2011 M3 (E93)
2011 750li x-drive (F02)2009
2009 Lexus IS-F
2007 M6 coupe
2007 MB E63
2004 Audi S4
2001 Audi S4

Last edited by ory; 06-09-2013 at 05:19 PM.
Old 06-09-2013, 06:29 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 M5 MONTE CARLO BLUE
Quote:
Originally Posted by ory View Post
Yes. I have tested the M5 6MT and thought it was a blast. I left the test drive giggling like a little kid. I do regret not getting it and opting for the DCT to be more practical and I miss the total control you have over the RPM. I do a lot of my driving in traffic though so I might have regretted going the manual route, who knows.
We're i live up here in maine the traffic is very light compared to other parts of the United States. I tried out one dct and one manual. After the dct test drive I was very impressed but I was not blown away getting back into my 550 x drive DINAN. When I test drove the six speed manual in Chicago traffic I had a smile on my face a mile wide. I've had manual bmw's and it instantly reminded me how fun they are to drive. What's really messing my head up is reading all the reviews on how much better the dct is.
Old 06-09-2013, 10:12 PM

Mein Auto: 335Hybrid;F10 M5
Quote:
Originally Posted by FTC View Post
We're i live up here in maine the traffic is very light compared to other parts of the United States. I tried out one dct and one manual. After the dct test drive I was very impressed but I was not blown away getting back into my 550 x drive DINAN. When I test drove the six speed manual in Chicago traffic I had a smile on my face a mile wide. I've had manual bmw's and it instantly reminded me how fun they are to drive. What's really messing my head up is reading all the reviews on how much better the dct is.
It's not better it's different. Yes, the car was built around the DCT and the Germans supposedly had no intentions of building it with the 6MT, but they did and there is nothing like handling 560hp through a manual transmission. Perhaps it's archaic, a dying breed, etc., but it is extremely appealing. go for it.
2012 Jaguar FXR
2011 M3 (E93)
2011 750li x-drive (F02)2009
2009 Lexus IS-F
2007 M6 coupe
2007 MB E63
2004 Audi S4
2001 Audi S4