Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 7 Series / 8 Series > 7 Series - E23 / E32 (1977 - 1994)

7 Series - E23 / E32 (1977 - 1994)

Old 06-27-2013, 02:35 PM

Mein Auto: 1994 740i e32
What increased performance

I'm having my gasket replaced between my engine ad trans on a 1994 740i e32. While I have the two separated, what can I do to increase speed, power, performance, etc.?
Ads by Google
Old 06-27-2013, 06:45 PM
Old Fogey

Mein Auto: BMW '95 840
This engine chip: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Performance-...63d77e&vxp=mtr

A Dinan transmission chip (their engine chip shows little or no advantage over stock).

And a 3.64 differential.

There is no substitute engine chip (Works on both E32 and E31)

It still won't be a street rocket but that is about as close as you can get without a wheelbarrow full of $100 bills. The 0 to 30 dead spot is virtually gone and highway mileage will drop to about 21 US when the differential is installed.
'00 Range Rover Vitesse
www.wuffer.net
www.8coupe.com
www.8er.org
Old 06-28-2013, 02:54 AM

Re: What increased performance

I've always wondered about Ebay quality, but will give it a go.
Thnx foot the info Terry.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Old 06-28-2013, 09:06 AM
Old Fogey

I agree on the Ebay quality issue. I was about his first American customer 10 years ago for a '94 740. Since then he has won over the E31 community as both a member with 2 E31'2 and as a vendor they are willing to defend.

More here http://www.wokke.de/ if you are curious. Tell him that I sent you if you contact him.
'00 Range Rover Vitesse
www.wuffer.net
www.8coupe.com
www.8er.org
Old 07-05-2013, 11:45 AM

Sorry for the delayed response. Had to attend a funeral nearly a couple of states away. I think that I will place this project on the back burner for at least a month or two.
Thanks for your response and information Terry.
Old 08-01-2013, 09:54 PM

Mein Auto: 745Li
Typically, a chip only affects full throttle; some require premium gas due to timing curve changes.

Remember, that aftermarket performance claims usually state "up to __ gains", allowing for negative gains, too.

Speed's expensive. How much U got?
Old 08-05-2013, 02:12 PM

Want increased performance

Thanks for the info Terry.
Decreasing take off at dead stand and hwy gas milage is something I would prefer to stay away from. Installing high-performance ignition coils, an increased cold air intake filter and omitting the catalytic converter. What's your opinion.
Old 08-05-2013, 03:47 PM
Old Fogey

A good performance chip fills in gaps in performance. It will not just add in one place like high rpm and take away in another.

The recommendation on the chip that I made adds torque at the low end as well as freeing up the high end a bit. BMW seems to love high speed and ignore low speed performance on anything the deem as a Luxury model.

An aftermarket Cold air intake won't improve on the factory cold air system on the 740 or 840. K&N or other oiled air filters are hell on the airflow meter. High voltage coils have a minimal effect for the price according to a couple of 840 owners who have spent the $$$ on them. If you had a 750/850 that story would be different because of the low voltage coil system used on the V12.

I chipped my '94 740 and it made a huge difference in in town drive-ability and improved the gas mileage by a bit in town and on the road.

My 840 was chipped and also has the Dinan transmission chip which is another street drive-ability improvement. Don't bother with the Dinan engine chip-might as well be stock.
The second big step was changing the differential ratio to 3.64 from the stock 2.83. That makes it as close to a hot rod as it is going to get normally aspirated. The gas mileage with the 3:64 gears went from about 23 mpg on the highway at 70+ to 21mpg. in town I can get 14+mpg in S4 and 13+mpg in E. That is if I can restrain myself from listening to the engine sing in S4. Getting it to 15 mpg in town is possible but too much work in a car that wants to GO!!!! All mpg numbers are US.

Highway performance is such that when you finally get to pass that motor home going 55 you can hit 100 during the pass. That usually makes for a bit of a smile on my face.

Hope this helps
'00 Range Rover Vitesse
www.wuffer.net
www.8coupe.com
www.8er.org