Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 (2012 - current)

F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 (2012 - current)
The sixth generation 3 series, chassis code F30. 2013 model year 328i and 335i sedans now in production. Read the F30 frequently asked question thread for all your basic question and dive into all the details in the ultimate F30 information thread.

Closed Thread

Old 10-18-2012, 03:06 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2013 Alpine White MT 328i
Quote:
Originally Posted by golovko View Post
I swear I am not a grammar nazi but I find it disturbing when a grown man who can afford a $50,000 car writes "cuz" in place of "because". Its not that much harder to write out "because". Not to mention you've been using "cuz" for both "because" and "cousin".

ok I'm done.

and this +1
Dude, what word do you live in? Or how old are you?? I'm doing this from my iphone. Who cares about grammer. If I was talking about my cousin on a BMW forum, and used the word cuz, you would certainly understand.

I had 2 masters by the time I was 25. Pretty sure that's more education than you.

Old 10-18-2012, 03:07 PM

Mein Auto: F30 328i Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by edx1 View Post
Great thread, I think all car owners should ready it though because it points out a very human traits. Comparability, perfectionism, and regret/second guessing.

In the Audio and Video industry these traits are what allow there to be 100+ speaker companies and dozens of display companies.

To relate in audio/video. someone wants 'the best audio and video out there' for a home theater but you can't exactly ask them what frequency range of audio they can hear with their specific ears, what ranges they don't hear as well, how much bass energy they want, let along getting into video for contrast ratio, lumens, screen size, color temperature preference and so on. Some people prefer bass heavy, other mid level heavy, and others have lost hearing in upper frequency range and like speakers that have stronger higher frequency response. Cars are also much harder to "blind test" or even do A/B comparisons. And when someone picks something they didn't exactly want it's easier to have buyers remorse.

For someone who's not brand loyal, doesn't know what they actually want when evaluating (or doesn't know what to test or look for, aka doesn't have the right road, or I mean video demo clip that they normally like, it's a risk game. Someone might buy a 480hz TV because video is smoother but when they watch their favorite film that's 24hz the film looks fake (ie it's pretty obvious the camera is being shaken by a guy and not a real explosion).

The more facts you try to compare, the more likely you'll hate anything you end up with because you're not comparing pro's, you're now comparing cons because no vehicle is perfect and you will remember what you are missing, unless you fall in love enough with your car and let it's cons fade.

I come from a background somewhat like the OP, lighter weight and more perky. Any time you increase the weight of a car by even a few hundred lb's, even if it's the same power to weight ratio, the car won't feel the same.

A BMW will never handle like a Mini IMO and lets just face it now and if you can't put that behind then you need to stick with mini sized/weight cars and avoid bigger cars. I for one wish everyone drove smaller cars so I could stick with A3/Golf/Mini/Fiat sized cars. Actually I'd love my 'driving' car to be an Ariel Atom (and I can promise you if that was my driving car no BMW or anything except a sub 1500lb car with 200+ horsepower would ever be able to 'replace it equally in driving thrill' in the future). My wife thought my smaller car was not safe for a family and said I could never put kids in it, and she also didn't like how it felt to go around corners in it with me driving (but her car could corner faster AND accelerate faster but you didn't feel like you were on the edge of safety which honestly is where I find driving thrilling) so I gave in to that requirement. Gone in my life is driving smaller go-kart cars and feeling like I'm pushing the car to its limits. Choosing between a i4tt and i6tt is tough.

MPG, HP, torque, reliability, and transmissions are all different and it's hard to compare the two like apples, it's almost apples and oranges. Now add the various suspensions, number of people in your car, the type of roads you're driving now vs the test drive. It's crazy. And if this was a pretty penny for you and you got it wrong, it sucks.

But lets be honest, the 3 series is a good car for what it does. It's not perfect but it does a lot of things right. If you really miss your old car, just realize it won't last forever and that I agree is tough to deal with, it's like a pet who passed away. If you feel there's another car that fits you better, go test drive it if you _have_ to but I'd comment that it might only make things worse. Move on if you can and enjoy your current car. If you can't sleep after a few years maybe trade in your car, (dunno, $5k loss) and get another Mini, or you can do it sooner.

But also remember, there will always be another car that is faster than yours, feels less 'boat' like, corners faster, gets better MPG, looks cooler, has the newer X feature but if you can build an emotional attachment to this car and realize feature Y that is has is worth the 'boat' feeling then move on and remember that.

-- This is advice A/V people give for anyone who's stuck on picking which equipment to buy. And if they save money, take your spouse on a fun date and do something you've always wanted to do with some of the money you saved. Life's too short to get stuck on realizing no A/V equipment car is perfect for you.
Great read.

I enjoy my Kuro 101fd everyday. and even tho it is 5 years old, there is not another tv out there that can touch it imo. Also, might be the only tv that has gone up in value
Old 10-18-2012, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by edx1 View Post
Great thread, I think all car owners should ready it though because it points out a very human traits. Comparability, perfectionism, and regret/second guessing.

In the Audio and Video industry these traits are what allow there to be 100+ speaker companies and dozens of display companies.

To relate in audio/video. someone wants 'the best audio and video out there' for a home theater but you can't exactly ask them what frequency range of audio they can hear with their specific ears, what ranges they don't hear as well, how much bass energy they want, let along getting into video for contrast ratio, lumens, screen size, color temperature preference and so on. Some people prefer bass heavy, other mid level heavy, and others have lost hearing in upper frequency range and like speakers that have stronger higher frequency response. Cars are also much harder to "blind test" or even do A/B comparisons. And when someone picks something they didn't exactly want it's easier to have buyers remorse.

For someone who's not brand loyal, doesn't know what they actually want when evaluating (or doesn't know what to test or look for, aka doesn't have the right road, or I mean video demo clip that they normally like, it's a risk game. Someone might buy a 480hz TV because video is smoother but when they watch their favorite film that's 24hz the film looks fake (ie it's pretty obvious the camera is being shaken by a guy and not a real explosion).

The more facts you try to compare, the more likely you'll hate anything you end up with because you're not comparing pro's, you're now comparing cons because no vehicle is perfect and you will remember what you are missing, unless you fall in love enough with your car and let it's cons fade.

I come from a background somewhat like the OP, lighter weight and more perky. Any time you increase the weight of a car by even a few hundred lb's, even if it's the same power to weight ratio, the car won't feel the same.

A BMW will never handle like a Mini IMO and lets just face it now and if you can't put that behind then you need to stick with mini sized/weight cars and avoid bigger cars. I for one wish everyone drove smaller cars so I could stick with A3/Golf/Mini/Fiat sized cars. Actually I'd love my 'driving' car to be an Ariel Atom (and I can promise you if that was my driving car no BMW or anything except a sub 1500lb car with 200+ horsepower would ever be able to 'replace it equally in driving thrill' in the future). My wife thought my smaller car was not safe for a family and said I could never put kids in it, and she also didn't like how it felt to go around corners in it with me driving (but her car could corner faster AND accelerate faster but you didn't feel like you were on the edge of safety which honestly is where I find driving thrilling) so I gave in to that requirement. Gone in my life is driving smaller go-kart cars and feeling like I'm pushing the car to its limits. Choosing between a i4tt and i6tt is tough.

MPG, HP, torque, reliability, and transmissions are all different and it's hard to compare the two like apples, it's almost apples and oranges. Now add the various suspensions, number of people in your car, the type of roads you're driving now vs the test drive. It's crazy. And if this was a pretty penny for you and you got it wrong, it sucks.

But lets be honest, the 3 series is a good car for what it does. It's not perfect but it does a lot of things right. If you really miss your old car, just realize it won't last forever and that I agree is tough to deal with, it's like a pet who passed away. If you feel there's another car that fits you better, go test drive it if you _have_ to but I'd comment that it might only make things worse. Move on if you can and enjoy your current car. If you can't sleep after a few years maybe trade in your car, (dunno, $5k loss) and get another Mini, or you can do it sooner.

But also remember, there will always be another car that is faster than yours, feels less 'boat' like, corners faster, gets better MPG, looks cooler, has the newer X feature but if you can build an emotional attachment to this car and realize feature Y that is has is worth the 'boat' feeling then move on and remember that.

-- This is advice A/V people give for anyone who's stuck on picking which equipment to buy. And if they save money, take your spouse on a fun date and do something you've always wanted to do with some of the money you saved. Life's too short to get stuck on realizing no A/V equipment car is perfect for you.
NOW, this thread is starting to attract polite and smart people

Old 10-18-2012, 03:11 PM
Swedish Murder Machine

Mein Auto: 328i x-drive
Quote:
Originally Posted by 328i2013 View Post
Let me start by thanking you for not simply brushing me off as a troll.

I have actually started test driving other cars. Drove the 328i sportsline this am - unimpressed. Just got back from driving an A4 - even less impressed. Next I'm looking for a 335 to test drive cuz it looks like the 328i M-sport isn't going to provide what I'm looking for.

I just don't see what these guys here see wrong about expecting more from even an entry model BMW. After all, IT IS a BMW and not a Toyota.
Does it being a BMW make it somewhat magical? It's a larger heavier car than what you are used to. It's a very refined car, which is what most of the buyers want.

The laws of physics are not merely a suggestion... which is why you thinking that 30-35 more horsepower with the 335i (not to mention that being a heavier car by 80 lbs) is not going to magically transform the 328i from "ho hum" into "wow"! If anything the 328i has handling that is more like your cooper because the 328i is more tossable than the 335i.

You've already gotten excellent recommendations to look into the CPO market at an M3 or even a 335i E90 with the N54 engine.... have you driven those or are you only driving "new" cars? You are going to have a hard time finding a luxury marquee out there that provides a car with the size of the F30 and has thrilling ride characteristics.

You should also check out the Caddy ATS, because according to the car rags, at the limits it has better handling and chassis dynamics than the F30.

You are getting annoyed at people here bagging on you, but let's face it;

1. you clearly didn't test drive the car enough before ordering.
2. you bought a luxury car in basically stripped down trim.
3. you were, from the start, upset about the feel of the 6MT in this car.
4. you clearly have buyers remorse if less than a week after taking delivery of a gorgeous new BMW you are out test driving Audis and then coming away similarly unimpressed.

If you didn't buy this car just for the badge then I'd say you should do the sensible thing, buy something that's more practical (and a hell of a lot less expensive) like an Accord, Camry, etc, and then if you have money left over buy yourself another fun toy that pushes the right buttons for you.

Or you could instead argue that your Cooper S is 'faster' and that I'm trying to justify my F30 purchase by arguing with your logic.

Last edited by voip-ninja; 10-18-2012 at 03:12 PM.
Old 10-18-2012, 03:19 PM
Software Engineer

Mein Auto: 2013 335i
Quote:
Dude, what word do you live in? Or how old are you?? I'm doing this from my iphone. Who cares about grammer. If I was talking about my cousin on a BMW forum, and used the word cuz, you would certainly understand.

I had 2 masters by the time I was 25. Pretty sure that's more education than you.
I guess this is an example of me having to readjust my expectations for online forum posts.

2013 335i Sport | Mineral White | Leather Dakota Everest Grey | Cold Weather Package | Driver Assistance Package | Premium Package | Technology Package | Auto high beams | Parking Assistant | 6MT

My 335i Photo Gallery
Old 10-18-2012, 03:29 PM

I wish I had seen a thread like this before ordering. Hopefully this will help people in deciding which 3 series to buy. One person's mistake, but another can learn from it.

And it's not like I'm devastated with my purchase. It's not a bad car. At least it's comfy and looks nice. And I can overtake most cars when I need/want to. I'll just bow with respect when I see a Porsche.

Old 10-18-2012, 03:35 PM

Send a message via AIM to MonkeyCMonkeyDo
Quote:
I wish I had seen a thread like this before ordering. Hopefully this will help people in deciding which 3 series to buy. One person's mistake, but another can learn from it.

And it's not like I'm devastated with my purchase. It's not a bad car. At least it's comfy and looks nice. And I can overtake most cars when I need/want to. I'll just bow with respect when I see a Porsche.
Unless you are both going into a corner too fast then you can finish the turn and then bow to the car spinning out behind you. You can find fault in anything. Porsches included.
Old 10-18-2012, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonkeyCMonkeyDo View Post
Unless you are both going into a corner too fast then you can finish the turn and then bow to the car spinning out behind you. You can find fault in anything. Porsches included.
Don't we improve by identifying faults and improvements areas? I'm sure ATS/CTS fans are thanking Caddy for finding faults with Deville.

Old 10-18-2012, 03:39 PM
Swedish Murder Machine

Quote:

Maybe others will test drive the car for more than 5 minutes before ordering. You will not exactly notice too many people here shocked with how bad/boring the 328i is.
Old 10-18-2012, 03:52 PM

Mein Auto: 2012 535xi 2013 X3 35i
Quote:
I wish I had seen a thread like this before ordering.
Thats a good one, there must a new thread like this every week of people complaining about how the 3 series is too soft and not sporty enough.
Old 10-18-2012, 04:24 PM
BMW Platinum Visa® Member

Mein Auto: BMW L328i
Quote:

I'll just bow with respect when I see a Porsche.
Dude, you live in Rochester.

If you are fortunate enough to run into the one Porsche that's up there, pose for a picture, it's like a Bigfoot sighting.

BJ

2013 BMW L328i Luxury Sedan | Premium Package | Technology Package | Lighting Package | Steptronic® | PDC | Apps
Mineral Grey Metallic | Saddle Leather | Anthracite | Camera | Sirius | Rolex | Trophy Wife | Beach House | Status Package®
Old 10-18-2012, 04:31 PM

Mein Auto: 328i
Quote:
Originally Posted by The X Men View Post
Thats a good one, there must a new thread like this every week of people complaining about how the 3 series is too soft and not sporty enough.
Heh yeah I just posted a new thread about it and compared the F30 to a Honda Accord. I think size of car really does play a big role. My E46 was a much smaller car. What is a midsized car now is a fullsize car. There's a major difference in handling and control even if power/weight ratio stays same.
Old 10-18-2012, 04:34 PM
Swedish Murder Machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by guinea View Post
Heh yeah I just posted a new thread about it and compared the F30 to a Honda Accord. I think size of car really does play a big role. My E46 was a much smaller car. What is a midsized car now is a fullsize car. There's a major difference in handling and control even if power/weight ratio stays same.
You are confusing mid-size and full size. F30 is about the same size that the 540i was about 10 years ago.
Old 10-18-2012, 04:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boltjaM3s View Post

If you are fortunate enough to run into the one Porsche that's up there, pose for a picture, it's like a Bigfoot sighting.

BJ
Again, continued signs of your stupidity.

But funny you should say that. This morning fortune had me parked next to a beautiful 2012 Porsche Carrera 911 S and I spent a few minutes admiring it.

Old 10-18-2012, 05:01 PM

Mein Auto: '11 E93 335is & '08 535xi
Quote:

But funny you should say that. This morning fortune had me parked next to a beautiful 2012 Porsche Carrera 911 S and I spent a few minutes admiring it.
Maybe it was Danny Wegman's Porsche?
Old 10-18-2012, 05:02 PM

Mein Auto: '11 E93 335is & '08 535xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by boltjaM3s View Post

BJ
There is still big money living in Upstate NY. One of my best friend's brother who lives in Syracuse has a collection of 5 Porsches.
Old 10-18-2012, 05:10 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 135i M-Sport 6-speed
time to lock this one down....
Old 10-18-2012, 05:35 PM
BMW Platinum Visa® Member

Mein Auto: BMW L328i
Quote:

The car of your dreams it out there. Hard to find, but out there.

Keep searching. Never stop searching. They'll tell you you're crazy, that you'll never find it, that you're seeing things. Don't believe them.

BJ

2013 BMW L328i Luxury Sedan | Premium Package | Technology Package | Lighting Package | Steptronic® | PDC | Apps
Mineral Grey Metallic | Saddle Leather | Anthracite | Camera | Sirius | Rolex | Trophy Wife | Beach House | Status Package®
Old 10-18-2012, 05:53 PM
Super Moderator

Mein Auto: 2009 W906
Quote:
Originally Posted by maxdriver View Post
time to lock this one down....

There are times I still wish I was a mod.

This is one of them.

- J.C. Watts Jr.
Old 10-18-2012, 06:07 PM
Liked when BMW was in F1

Mein Auto: 2013 AH3 Lux Line
Quote:
Originally Posted by MMME30W View Post

There are times I still wish I was a mod.

This is one of them.
In the mean time. I'll unsubscribe. There is nothing else to do here.

Current car: BMW AH3 2013 - Black Sapphire-Saddle brown-ZLL-ZPP-ZTP-ZDA-HK
also 2012 Odyssey.

Past cars: Civic, Mazda6, Accord coupe, Accord Sedan.
BMW CCA Member
Old 10-18-2012, 06:52 PM
cor door sedan

Mein Auto: 2013 550i xDrive
Quote:
Originally Posted by golovko View Post
i swear i am not a grammar nazi but i find it disturbing when a grown man who can afford a $50,000 car writes "cuz" in place of "because". Its not that much harder to write out "because". Not to mention you've been using "cuz" for both "because" and "cousin".
lol +1

See, when the Government spends money, it creates jobs; whereas when the money is left in the hands of Taxpayers, God only knows what they do with it. Bake it into pies, probably. Anything to avoid creating jobs. - Dave Barry
Old 10-18-2012, 06:52 PM
///Monkeyazz Duck

Mein Auto: 535i M Sport; 328i Wagon
Stumbled on this thread, and started reading due to the overly dramatic title and the post count. I have 2 suggestions for the OP.

First, do yourself a favor and never buy an F10, E70 or M model. Instead of getting thoughtful, patient, sympathetic responses like you've received here, whiny attention whores get called out on those forums.

Second, if you spent less time whining and more time working, maybe you could afford to check the boxes and buy the car you really want.

BJ lives here, so he's being a gentleman. As a visitor, I feel no such compunction.

You made a mistake and you have buyer's remorse. BFD. Learn from it, grow a pair and move on.
Sent from my HTC Inspire using BimmerApp

Current BMW's:
2014 535i MSport Space / Black, ZCW, ZDA, ZLP, ZLS, ZPP, H-K and 704
2014 328i Sport Wagon, Glacier / Black, ZSL, ZD2, ZD3, ZDH, ZLP, ZPP, ZTP, and H-K

Prior BMW's
2011 535ix MSport
2011 X5 35D
2008 ///M3 Vert
2008 X5 3.0
2007 X5 3.0
2006 X5 3.0
2006 550iA SP
2003 540iA M-Technic
Old 10-18-2012, 07:50 PM

Buyers remorse all the way. Cuz the car is underwhelming. Sorry, you guys don't agree. And that's ok. Made a mistake and learnt a lesson. No biggie. I was thinking my girl could take the 328i off of my hands. Even she doesn't want it. She said it wasn't impressive. Going to sell it as soon as I can and go for a car that meets my speed needs. Y'all successed in turning a potential 328i fan completely off. Now go and vote for Romney/Ryan cuz you think that would be good nuff too.

Last edited by 328i2013; 10-18-2012 at 07:51 PM.
Old 10-18-2012, 07:51 PM

Mein Auto: F30 328i Sport
Quote:
Buyers remorse all the way. Cuz the car is underwhelming. Sorry, you guys don't agree. And that's ok. Made a mistake and learnt a lesson. No biggie. I was thinking my girl could take the 328i off of my hands. Even she doesn't want it. She said it wasn't impressive. Going to sell it as soon as I can and go for a car that meets my speed needs. Y'all succesed in turning a potential 328i fan completely off.
lol. wut?
Old 10-18-2012, 07:54 PM
Software Engineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by justinnum1 View Post
lol. wut?
He has two masters degrees. Probably something too complex for us simple folk to comprehend.

2013 335i Sport | Mineral White | Leather Dakota Everest Grey | Cold Weather Package | Driver Assistance Package | Premium Package | Technology Package | Auto high beams | Parking Assistant | 6MT

My 335i Photo Gallery
Closed Thread