Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 / F36 (2012 - current)

F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 / F36 (2012 - current)
The sixth generation 3 series, chassis code F30. 2013 model year 328i and 335i sedans now in production. Read the F30 frequently asked question thread for all your basic question and dive into all the details in the ultimate F30 information thread.

Closed Thread

Old 10-17-2012, 08:07 AM
Gone for a drive.

Mein Auto: BMW, GM, Fountain
Quote:
Of course I test drove. But one, it was an auto (wasn't expecting much from it anyway). But how long can one test drive anyway.
I spent many months researching on paper/internet, 1 month test driving candidates, and several hours at the dealer per car once I narrowed it down. I even tracked down friends/neighbors/co-workers who had same or similar cars for opinions/rides.

Ultimately I spent at least 1/2 a day in the car I chose looking, driving, discussing, inspecting at the dealer. If your dealer doesn't allow you to take your time, find another dealer.

Even then, I stepped away for a week before I went back to make the deal just to make sure I had that gut feeling that it was the right choice.

Whether you are just stroking a check or stretching a budget to buy a car, you are in control on your choice. If you go purely on emotion (who doesn't at first?) then you might regret it.

OP, sounds like you did an impulse buy. Good luck to you.
Old 10-17-2012, 08:09 AM

Mein Auto: 2014 328i Sport Line MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by 328i2013 View Post
Cooper wasn't modded.

The 328i is quite adequate on highways. The Cooper S would run circles around it on suburban roads.
The Cooper S is more nimble of course than a 328i but not close to being faster in a straight line. A JCW yes, but an S, no.
Old 10-17-2012, 08:18 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2013 Alpine White MT 328i
Quote:
Originally Posted by leewtech View Post

OP, sounds like you did an impulse buy. Good luck to you.
Ha. Been wanting a 3 series all my life. Hardly an impulse buy. Test drove the AT 2x. I just never ever imagined that the 3 would seem underwhelming given BMW engineering an all. I suppose that was too much faith to put in and too much to expect.

Maybe Apple has spoiled me. I can blindly buy the new iPhone and know that it's going to be awesome.

Old 10-17-2012, 08:18 AM
Gone for a drive.

Quote:
In fact it's the opposite where the N20 engine is getting more and more praise.
Maybe that is my take on the N20 owner reality. Lot's of them posting about how great it is, how they are loving the fuel saving, fast enough for them, idle sounds like crap, but that is ok, fuel economy, plenty of power for a 4 cylinder, fuel economy, etc, etc....

Sounds like overcompensating to me and looking for false praise. Please reassure me that I checked the right box.

Not too many folks with classic 6 saying, "too much power for me, gas guzzler, wish I had less power"

I'm just a BMW snob and feel that the N20 was BMW's answer to the EPA/Tree hugger/global warming/government regulation question no one asked. All car companies have a base engine....this is BMW's. Leave it for the rental fleets.
Old 10-17-2012, 08:20 AM
Gone for a drive.

Quote:
Maybe Apple has spoiled me. I can blindly buy the new iPhone and know that it's going to be awesome.
Ahhh.......mystery solved.

Peace.
Old 10-17-2012, 08:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CALWATERBOY View Post
Boxster grossly better. We know that....do you mean to replace your new car?

Your ride can be greatly improved, starting w/coilovers. But Boxster is a target your 3 will never hit.
Boxter won't be a replacement. It will be the fun 2nd car. Will need the bigger sedan for the child seat, diapers, etc. lol.

Not sure if it will be a Boxster though. This time I'm going to try the hell out of a bunch of roadsters to pick the one I like the most...Boxter, Z4, maybe even the SLK.

I drove my cuz's SLS AMG earlier this year. Bad mistake. Cuz I'll never have that sort of coin and driving something like that is just so addictive.

Old 10-17-2012, 08:22 AM

Mein Auto: 2015 535xi 2013 X3 35i
Quote:
You are absolutely right about my reason to transition away from the Cooper.

However, you have to be kidding yourself when you think that these so called options are going to make the car perform that much better. None of these are engine enhancements. Some of them might improve handling, but that's not much of a concern for me. It's the ponies. PONIES. This car is too big for just 240HP
The Mini Cooper S does 0-60 in mid 6 seconds according to most road test, the F30 is at least 1/2 second faster. Sometimes when you are in a more expensive car, you feel like you are going slower than the actual speed. The F30 is not a raw roadsrer like the Mini Cooper, The Mini Cooper is design to feel sporty, even when it is not accelarating as fast as the F30. Thats why the F30 is consider to be a sport luxury sedan while the Mini Cooper is a sport roadster.

Last edited by The X Men; 10-17-2012 at 08:25 AM.
Old 10-17-2012, 08:24 AM
BMW Platinum VisaŽ Member

Mein Auto: BMW M428i
Quote:
Originally Posted by dtc100 View Post
The numbers on the paper can be deceiving, when they cannot be applied on daily street driving much. That add to the fact he came from a smaller and lighter car. The complaint is natural. It is more fun to drive a slow car fast, than to drive a fast car slow.
Quote:
You are absolutely right about my reason to transition away from the Cooper.

However, you have to be kidding yourself when you think that these so called options are going to make the car perform that much better. None of these are engine enhancements. Some of them might improve handling, but that's not much of a concern for me. It's the ponies. PONIES. This car is too big for just 240HP

As pointed out, this is all about expectations and perspective.

I came off of a 328i M-Sport with XDrive and to me the F30 feels like a much lighter, sportier, and responsive car. As far as acceleration goes, just pushing the button into Sport mode makes my car into a rocket. The F30 isn't as good in the corners as my M-Sport was, but I didn't expect it to be. It's far more comfortable, it has fantastic road manners, and it's loaded with luxurious features and technology that make the overall driving experience fantastic.

I think you may spend too much time in these discussion forms. Forms are a great source of information, but they are filled with enthusiasts who have expectations for this car that are very different than the typical driver. If you look closely, the enthusiasts buying the F30 are getting Sport line or M-Sport line and they are adding the adaptive suspension, and then further modding the car by either lowering it or adding performance parts. You can't expect a base 328i with no such sport options to drive anywhere near the type of performance that the enthusiasts in this forum are experiencing.

BJ

2015 BMW 428i Gran Coupe | M-Sport Line | Premium | Technology | DHP | HK | Driver Assistance
Mineral Grey Metallic | Coral Red Leather | Park Assist | Sirius | Rolex | Trophy Wife | Beach House
Old 10-17-2012, 08:25 AM

Mein Auto: '13 335i xDrive 6MT ZDH
Quote:
Yeah, because the iPhone 5 launch has gone so well, right?

Camera problems, bad screens, bad mapping data getting people lost, WiFi bugs, flimsy construction, poor battery life, poor scratch resistance, rattling noises, the "no SIM card" error...

Old 10-17-2012, 08:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by justinnum1 View Post
here is an idea. go rent a ford excursion for the week. that should changed your tune about the 328
LOL. Maybe I should drive my girl's 101 hp AT Fiat 500 all weekend. That will be even better.

But then it has Bose which sounds better than my HK, so maybe that will make me more sad.

But seriously guys, this might just be what I need to start appreciating my 328i more. I thought I saw a thread where a F30 owner got a E90 loaner and was missing his F30.

Old 10-17-2012, 08:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sean10mm View Post
Yeah, because the iPhone 5 launch has gone so well, right?

Camera problems, bad screens, bad mapping data getting people lost, WiFi bugs, flimsy construction, poor battery life, poor scratch resistance, rattling noises, the "no SIM card" error...

Hmm. Luckily I experienced none of these issues. LOVE the iPhone 5 and I've had all 5 (minus 1st gen). I AM a bit annoyed at the unavailability of the lightning adapter though cuz I need it to connect to the Y-cable.

Old 10-17-2012, 08:29 AM

Mein Auto: 2013 ActiveHybrid 3
Quote:
You blindly buy an M3/M5 and know it's going to be awesome. You bought a base model car for the average commuter and should expect nice, but average (aka underwhelming).

Last edited by SamS; 10-17-2012 at 08:30 AM.
Old 10-17-2012, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamS View Post
You blindly buy and M3/M5 and know it's going to be awesome. You buy a base model car for the average commuter and should expect nice, but average (aka underwhelming).
I blindly bought my Cooper S. That was cuz the R56 (2007+) wasn't out in the US when I ordered. I ordered based on reviews in UK forums and mine was one of the first state side. And I was very pleasantly surprised cuz the redesigned 2007 was SO MUCH BETTER than the 2006 I had test driven.

But from now on, there will be no blindly buying any car ever.

BTW, can you even find a M3 to test drive?

When the 2013 M3 comes out, I'm sure they will be impossible to find. Especially where I live out in Upstate NY boonies. Might need to drive to Toronto to find a M3.

Old 10-17-2012, 08:35 AM

Quote:
I blindly bought my Cooper S. That was cuz the R56 (2007+) wasn't out in the US when I ordered. I ordered based on reviews in UK forums and mine was one of the first state side. And I was very pleasantly surprised cuz the redesigned 2007 was SO MUCH BETTER than the 2006 I had test driven.

But from now on, there will be no blindly buying any car ever.

BTW, can you even find a M3 to test drive?

When the 2013 M3 comes out, I'm sure they will be impossible to find. Especially where I live out in Upstate NY boonies. Might need to drive to Toronto to find a M3.
The next-gen M3 sedan will be a MY2014. Only coupes/verts available now as part of the old E9x platform. I'm sure you could find one to test drive, although they seem to be getting tougher to find.

I have driven the F30 328i extensively, and sold my 2012 M3 just a few weeks ago. Trust me when I tell you they are very different cars.
Old 10-17-2012, 08:36 AM
BMW Platinum VisaŽ Member

Mein Auto: BMW M428i
Quote:
Originally Posted by sean10mm View Post
Not to pile on but this is kind of confusing.

-You care about power... but go with the 2.0L instead of 3.0L engine?
-You care about handling... but don't get a model with the sport or adaptive M suspension?
That's just the tip of the iceberg. We've been trying to help him all summer to no avail:

- Wants to stream Bluetooth audio, didn't get the enhanced Bluetooth option.

- Wants iPod album art on the iDrive screen, didn't get the enhanced USB option.

- Wants complete iPhone compatibility, didn't stick with the 4S or get the snap-in adapter.

- Wants a digital speedometer, didn't get the HUD.

- Wants the magic trunk opener, didn't get comfort access.

There are more, too many to remember. Between the two forums almost every-other day there's a new thread complaining about a "missing" feature or something not working.

The real issue is that the F30 is the car he wants but couldn't afford to option properly. Nothing we can do to help him from here.

BJ

2015 BMW 428i Gran Coupe | M-Sport Line | Premium | Technology | DHP | HK | Driver Assistance
Mineral Grey Metallic | Coral Red Leather | Park Assist | Sirius | Rolex | Trophy Wife | Beach House
Old 10-17-2012, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamS View Post

I have driven the F30 328i extensively, and sold my 2012 M3 just a few weeks ago. Trust me when I tell you they are very different cars.
What made you sell your 2012 M3 for a F30?

Old 10-17-2012, 08:38 AM
Gone for a drive.

Quote:
BTW, can you even find a M3 to test drive? When the 2013 M3 comes out, I'm sure they will be impossible to find. Especially where I live out in Upstate NY boonies. Might need to drive to Toronto to find a M3.
Again, you should be working with your dealer. I just have to let my SA what I am interested in and he will find a way to get me some seat time. It might take a while but they want to make the sale and will get your butt in the seat of what interests you.

Quote:
You blindly buy and M3/M5 and know it's going to be awesome
Really? Blindly? The higher the price tag the more scrutiny in my opinion.
Old 10-17-2012, 08:41 AM
Swedish Murder Machine

Mein Auto: 328i x-drive
It sounds like you didn't spend enough time test driving this car before you committed. I, like most who have a lot of time with the N20 equipped car, LOVE this engine. The car is VERY fast.... the 8AT is seamless. The car is a comfortable commuter when you want it to be, returning mid 30's gas mileage, flip it over to sport mode and it's a rocket, much much faster than any other small/mid sedan out there until you get into either huge thirsty engines from Detroit or you are willing to flog it in a Hyundai.

Honestly, going from a Cooper S to a 328i and complaining it's a boat is kind of like going from a 90's Ford Ranger to a modern F150 and complaining it is a boat. Your cooper was a go-kart that rewards a completely different driving style than the 328i.
Old 10-17-2012, 08:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boltjaM3s View Post
That's just the tip of the iceberg. We've been trying to help him all summer to no avail:

- Wants to stream Bluetooth audio, didn't get the enhanced Bluetooth option.

- Wants iPod album art on the iDrive screen, didn't get the enhanced USB option.

- Wants complete iPhone compatibility, didn't stick with the 4S or get the snap-in adapter.

- Wants a digital speedometer, didn't get the HUD.

- Wants the magic trunk opener, didn't get comfort access.

There are more, too many to remember. Between the two forums almost every-other day there's a new thread complaining about a "missing" feature or something not working.

The real issue is that the F30 is the car he wants but couldn't afford to option properly. Nothing we can do to help him from here.

BJ
BJ, these are lame things you mention. All inconsequential, compared to performance. From all of your previous posts and from this one, looks like you bought your F30 for the gadgetry not driving pleasure. In all honestly, I think you are here on these forums to stir things up, seek attention, and not really be helpful. Yes, we all joke occasionally, but I don't think anyone takes you seriously ever. Even when you rarely might say serious things.

But since you mentioned these issues.

- I found a mod for digital speedometer (also to roll up windows from remote).

- Don't want to stream bluetooth audio (yuck). You just misread that one post about rdio streaming to iphone and then to car via USB.

-Don't care about album art. I actually have one of my shortcuts set to turn off the idrive screen cuz I don't like the distraction.

Old 10-17-2012, 08:43 AM

Quote:
What made you sell your 2012 M3 for a F30?
My wife is expecting our second child in the coming weeks. A two door coupe was no longer the most practical vehicle for daily use. A 335i with PPK and PE (plus all the new tech features like HUD) will make for a nice family hauler until the next gen M3/M4 comes out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by leewtech View Post
Really? Blindly? The higher the price tag the more scrutiny in my opinion.
If your expectations are for a rip-roaring BMW that is a blast to drive, then yes it's a blind buy. If you think you may prefer the equivalent Merc/Audi/Caddy, then of course you should test drive other cars.
Old 10-17-2012, 08:44 AM
Software Engineer

Mein Auto: 2013 335i
Quote:
Originally Posted by voip-ninja View Post
It sounds like you didn't spend enough time test driving this car before you committed. I, like most who have a lot of time with the N20 equipped car, LOVE this engine. The car is VERY fast.... the 8AT is seamless. The car is a comfortable commuter when you want it to be, returning mid 30's gas mileage, flip it over to sport mode and it's a rocket, much much faster than any other small/mid sedan out there until you get into either huge thirsty engines from Detroit or you are willing to flog it in a Hyundai.

Honestly, going from a Cooper S to a 328i and complaining it's a boat is kind of like going from a 90's Ford Ranger to a modern F150 and complaining it is a boat. Your cooper was a go-kart that rewards a completely different driving style than the 328i.
Well thats not accurate at all. I come from two much much much faster sedans myself, neither are from Detroit or Hyundai, but do cost less than an F30.

2013 335i Sport | Mineral White | Leather Dakota Everest Grey | Cold Weather Package | Driver Assistance Package | Premium Package | Technology Package | Auto high beams | Parking Assistant | 6MT

My 335i Photo Gallery
Old 10-17-2012, 08:45 AM

For all this complaining, I will say that it's a NEAT looking car and get's lots of looks. Especially from drivers of older model BMWs. I think the Xenons make it look sick.

Old 10-17-2012, 08:47 AM

Mein Auto: 2013 135i M-Sport 6-speed
Quote:
Boxter won't be a replacement. It will be the fun 2nd car. Will need the bigger sedan for the child seat, diapers, etc. lol.

Not sure if it will be a Boxster though. This time I'm going to try the hell out of a bunch of roadsters to pick the one I like the most...Boxter, Z4, maybe even the SLK.

I drove my cuz's SLS AMG earlier this year. Bad mistake. Cuz I'll never have that sort of coin and driving something like that is just so addictive.
I'll probably get blown up on a BMW site...but here goes:-)....Have you considered or driven a Honda S2k?
Old 10-17-2012, 08:47 AM

Mein Auto: F30 328i Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by golovko View Post
Well thats not accurate at all. I come from two much much much faster sedans myself, neither are from Detroit or Hyundai, but do cost less than an F30.
Assuming your talking about an evo/sti i dont think most F30 owners are cross shopping those models. They are all performance and no luxury/refinement.

OP, you need to get the performance black grills
Old 10-17-2012, 08:49 AM
Swedish Murder Machine

Mein Auto: 328i x-drive
Quote:
Originally Posted by golovko View Post
Pray, do tell. My cutoff was that the car needed to be comfortable enough (quiet, roomy) for lots of commuting time, so I immediately had to scratch cars like the WRX from my list.

I drove all of the sedans available from Nissan, Toyota, Honda, Lexus, Acura, Mercedes and Audi and I thought that the F30 was clearly the best out of this current crop.

Frankly the OP bought the wrong car for what he wants to do. He probably would have been better served with a WRX. It would have shamed his Mini cooper and still had four doors.

I think that anyone who buys a BMW non M car for "pure performance" is simply misunderstanding the product. Ultimate Driving Machine does not mean it's the fastest car out there.