Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > Z Series > E36/7 Z3 (1996-2002)

E36/7 Z3 (1996-2002)
E36/7 Z3 Roadster, Z3 coupe, Z3 M Roadster and Z3 M Coupe talk with our gurus here.

Old 10-17-2012, 06:29 AM

Mein Auto: 1997 BMW Z3 2.8
Z3 2.8 won't start p0505 code

1997 Z3 2.8L started running odd -- sounded choked, took more pedal to accelerate, then did so with a jerk, etc. Then got Check Engine Light (CEL). Operation deteriorated further with severe miss, lots of engine noise, etc. - not drivable.

First thought was ignition miss and suspected plugs (hadn't changed in a while). They weren't bad, but cleaned them; also visually inspected and did basic resistance test on coils. All seemed ok and consistent. Problem persisted and, in fact, operation seemed even worse.

Forums suggested Mass Air Flow might be culprit, so removed/inspected it (no obvious breaks in wires) and cleaned with MAF cleaner. Also replaced dirty air filter and checked for vacuum leaks, especially in intake boot, etc. Problem still persisted and got worse yet. Now car wouldn't even stay running.

Finally got a code scanner and found P0301 (#1 misfire) and P0505 (Idle Control Valve). Cleared codes and tried starting again. Wouldn't even start and still had P0505 pending.

Removed ICV; some black buildup and valve seemed stuck nearly closed. Cleaned it thoroughly and was now opening/closing freely when twisted in my hand. Reinstalled, but no change -- car won't start, pending P0505 code.

Am at a loss. Any ideas where to go next?
Advertisement
Old 10-17-2012, 06:40 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: sloporsche
try disconnecting the electrical connection on the MAF and then see if it runs
Old 10-17-2012, 09:37 AM

tried disconnecting MAF

Tried disconnecting MAF -- no difference; still won't start.

One weird question: just before this happened I had the car jacked up high in the rear to replace pads/rotors. It was up that way for a couple of days while I also wrestled to try replacing the parking brake cables. I didn't touch anything electrical, other than installing a new pad wear sensor on the right rear, and I've checked to make sure I didn't catch/crush anything with the jack, etc. The car ran fine when I first started it to back it out of the garage, but the troubles began a few minutes later when I re-started it.

I know it's a reach, but was wondering whether the high angle might have forced any junk in the fuel filter to somehow shift and clog things or whether that would even cause a P0505 code (?)... Anyone had similar issues after jacking up the car? Don't want to just start replacing the fuel filter, sensors, etc. without some logic behind it... Thanks.
Old 10-25-2012, 03:09 PM

Just to close this out in case anyone else has the same problem...

So, the car would now not start and had a Check Engine Light (CEL) due to a code P0505 pending. I had cleaned/inspected the plugs and coils, put in a new air filter, checked for leaks along the intake, cleaned/inspected the MAF and cleaned the ICV, all to no avail.

I wondered whether the initial P0301 for the #1 misfire might be the real culprit and whether the P0505 indicating the ICV wasn't working was due to the fact that the car couldn't start/idle. So, I tried switching the #1 coil with #2, cleared the codes and tried starting the car again. Wouldn't start, got CEL and codes were now P0302 (#2 misfire) with P0505 pending. So looked like the coil was bad after all.

Put in a new one and, indeed, the car started, but still got a CEL due to codes P0304 (#4 misfire?) and pending P0505. It seemed unlikely that another coil just went like that, so I suspected the computer might have somehow gotten confused or adjusted #4 in a strange way to compensate for the #2 misfire. So, I shut the car off, let it sit for a few minutes, cleared the codes and started it again. Ran fine. No CEL, no codes. Has stayed that way for days now, so I think the problem is resolved.

Lesson seems to be that you need to look at the initial root code/cause of the trouble as some of the other codes that get kicked out might be just a result of that and not necessarily indicators of other failing elements in the system.