Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)

F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)
The new chapter in the highly successful story of the BMW 5 Series Sedan (F10) and wagon (F11)

Old 10-17-2012, 09:05 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 550ix msport
Small click or roughness when turning

This does not happen all the time, but if turning from a stop (can't remember if right or left) I have heard/felt a small click and or roughness in the steering wheel once turned past a certain point. I think the loudest sound was a quick acceleration while turning onto a street.

I have an appointment scheduled for my 30k oil change and vehicle check on Friday but they are going to look at this turning issue- anyone else experience this?

I know this is a bit vague, but any guidance would be appreciated. This is the first non maintenance issue I have had and am hoping BMW is better about fixing problems than other car dealerships.

Steve
Old 10-17-2012, 09:08 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2000 528 MT
will probably get " can't duplicate condition"

See if you can record the clicking sound and play it back to them,
Old 10-17-2012, 10:04 AM

Thanks- good idea for sure, I'll have to play around with it. I'm hopeful that someone else may have felt the same thing so at least I can "guide" the conversation. I am very car savy and do a lot of my own auto maintenance/repair, but this is my first BMW and likely way over my head.
Old 10-21-2012, 11:35 AM

Just an update- the tech noted on the work order that when he test drove the car, he did hear the click on turning. He retorqued the front suspension and found the upper control arm was a tad bit loose. Also balanced the front tires.

Have not driven it enough to notice if it was fixed, will post if it comes back. Hope this helps others with a starting point if they have the same issue come up.