Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > Z Series > E89 Z4 (2009 - current)

E89 Z4 (2009 - current)

Old 04-15-2013, 01:53 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 Z4 sDrive28i
Ready To Order - What do you think... 35i DCT in DSB & HO

Well,

Long story, short. Purchased a 2013 sDrive28i M-Sport in Deep Sea Blue (DSB) with Kansas Black Leather interior in February. Got sucked into purchasing the "wonderful" Simonize wax application, and in the process of the dealer applying it, they put scratches all over the car! They stood by the deal and are allowing me to keep the car, while I order a brand new 2014 which they will swap out.

So now that I'm ordering from scratch, I've been considering all the options. After so much research and viewing my head hasn't stopped spinning, I've settled on staying with the DSB. My big two decisions were stepping up to the 35i and the interior.

While the 28i has a lot of power, something in me is longing for the 35i with DCT. The all black interior is great looking, but there is something about being surrounded in so much black. I just couldn't seem to get comfortable with any other interior options when I saw them in the flesh. The Hyper Orange package for the 2014 LCI model provides an Alcantara/Leather interior that's quite unique. As my back always sweats on leather, the Alcantara would be nice! While care will go up, I think I can handle it.

We found a Valencia Orange 35i with the extended leather Hyper Orange interior with the orange door inserts in NJ and went and took a look this weekend and really liked it. So I thought I would put it out there and ask what you all thought of the combination. We do not like the Valencia Orange exterior, but everyone we ask seem to like the DSB/HO combo.

If anyone wants to chime in on 28i v 35i, please do. I do realize the extended leather is only available in the 35i. My main question is whether the $ difference to get the 35i w/ DCT with worth it. I certainly know it's most likely a matter of opinion/preference.

So my build is:

sDrive35i Deep Sea Blue w/ 7 speed DCT
Extended Leather Alcantara/Leather w/ Orange Color World
Hyper Orange M-Sport
Cold Weather
Premium Sound
PDC
Technology Package

Advertisement
Old 04-15-2013, 02:15 PM
If in doubt...go flat out

Mein Auto: 2011 Space Grey Z4
As an Auburn grad (born at the University of Virginia Hospital) I approve that color scheme
Navy Blue and Burnt Orange

Go Wahoos

WAR EAGLE!
Old 04-15-2013, 07:16 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2011 Z4 35i, 2006 525xi
That's a really nice color combo. Linkdad, my wife went to UVA and she approves too (Wahoowa!). To me it looks more like NY Mets colors.

Anyway, OP, it's easy to figure out. Just test drive the 35i. I think you'll be blown away and you'll buy it. That's what happened when I drove the 30i and then the 35i. My decision was easy at that point. As far as DCT goes, I had it and now I have a manual. People are all over the place with their preferences, so I won't go there. The one thing I miss are the lightening (and I mean lightening) fast shifts. But that's the only thing. Overall, for me the manual is much more engaging and I'm glad I have it now. Also fewer potential problems with a less complicated tranny and it's about $1700 cheaper.

Good luck with your choice.

2012 Z4 35i, ED 2/24/12, Melbourne Red Metallic, Black leather, 6 MT, ///M Sport, Premium Package, Premium Sound Package, Cold Weather Package, Nav, Comfort Access, LED Angel Eyes, BMWPedals pedal covers, stubby antenna, Luxon strut bar, CF engine cover, LCI side marker, powder coated calipers, Extra Enjoyment Package
Old 04-15-2013, 10:20 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: Lexi
Quote:
Originally Posted by jparnes1 View Post
...Also fewer potential problems with a less complicated tranny and it's about $1700 cheaper.
$1700? My 2014 Pricing Guide shows DCT on a 35i as a $450 upcharge from the standard manual. Am I missing something?
Old 04-16-2013, 04:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by williakz View Post
$1700? My 2014 Pricing Guide shows DCT on a 35i as a $450 upcharge from the standard manual. Am I missing something?
You are correct. The DCT on the 35i is $450. Not available on the 28i.
Old 04-16-2013, 04:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jparnes1 View Post
That's a really nice color combo. Linkdad, my wife went to UVA and she approves too (Wahoowa!). To me it looks more like NY Mets colors.

Anyway, OP, it's easy to figure out. Just test drive the 35i. I think you'll be blown away and you'll buy it. That's what happened when I drove the 30i and then the 35i. My decision was easy at that point. As far as DCT goes, I had it and now I have a manual. People are all over the place with their preferences, so I won't go there. The one thing I miss are the lightening (and I mean lightening) fast shifts. But that's the only thing. Overall, for me the manual is much more engaging and I'm glad I have it now. Also fewer potential problems with a less complicated tranny and it's about $1700 cheaper.

Good luck with your choice.
Thanks for the info. Being a Terp, you UVA guys are killing me!

I'd love a manual, but I've just gotten to a point where I don't want to shift all the time. If it was only a joy ride vehicle, then the 6MT would definitely be the way to go. This won't be a daily driver, but it will see a lot of road time between myself and the wife.