Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E34 (1989 - 1995)

E34 (1989 - 1995)

Old 10-21-2012, 07:57 AM
The Ornery Old Man

Mein Auto: GTI
So let me get this straight bobby.... The engineers at BMW spent tens of millions on developing this car, fitting it with both engine driven and aux electric fans. You, a self proclaimed internet expert, with TWO WEEKS of experience running your car without a fan, have deemed it wise to share and promote this to the general internet public as another revelation?

Now replacing the engine driven fan with another electric fan in the same location probably offers some efficiency gains and maintains the margin of error in the cooling system BMW designed in.

Since these cars have almost universal cooling issues, why on earth would one purposely take steps to compromise such a system? Now you have increased the duty cycle on the aux fans, which are intended for auxiliary cooling, not primary cooling.

Sounds like more seriously dubious advice from the young man who has brought us such other revolutionary ideas like the italian tune up, washing your fuel filter with water, buying cheap green coolant at walmart, and diesel fuel treatments for every other orifice in your car.

Seriously?
'98 750iL '86 325(e)/5
'95 740iL '84 318i/5

Last edited by snowsled7; 10-21-2012 at 08:38 AM.
Old 10-21-2012, 08:13 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 1995 525i
:sly::sly::sly::sly::sly::what::what: :what::what::what::beer::beer::beer::beer::c ool: :screwy::screwy::screwy::screwy::screwy:

Sent from my Desire HD using Bimmer App
Old 10-21-2012, 09:27 AM
Banned

Mein Auto: car
Quote:
Originally Posted by supertech777 View Post
:sly::sly::sly::sly::sly::what::what: :what::what::what::beer::beer::beer::beer::c ool: :screwy::screwy::screwy::screwy::screwy:

Err.....just say no to drugs ?
Old 10-22-2012, 07:22 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowsled7 View Post
So let me get this straight bobby.... The engineers at BMW spent tens of millions on developing this car, fitting it with both engine driven and aux electric fans. You, a self proclaimed internet expert, with TWO WEEKS of experience running your car without a fan, have deemed it wise to share and promote this to the general internet public as another revelation?

Now replacing the engine driven fan with another electric fan in the same location probably offers some efficiency gains and maintains the margin of error in the cooling system BMW designed in.

Since these cars have almost universal cooling issues, why on earth would one purposely take steps to compromise such a system? Now you have increased the duty cycle on the aux fans, which are intended for auxiliary cooling, not primary cooling.

Sounds like more seriously dubious advice from the young man who has brought us such other revolutionary ideas like the italian tune up, washing your fuel filter with water, buying cheap green coolant at walmart, and diesel fuel treatments for every other orifice in your car.

Seriously?
I guess some people don't have the guts to think for themselves and leave everything to their gods or the bmw engineers, even when other people are functioning fine without them. When their status quo is challenged, they feel threatened and react with insults, instead of simply stating their disagreements clearly without the rhetoric. People reading both sides of the story can come to their own conclusions. But of course, since they don't trust themselves to do what they choose instead of what the engineers have done, they will not trust others to come to their own balanced conclusions as well, and so resort to juvenile behaviour.
Old 10-22-2012, 01:02 PM
The Ornery Old Man

Mein Auto: GTI
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertobaggio20 View Post
I guess some people don't have the guts to think for themselves and leave everything to their gods or the bmw engineers, even when other people are functioning fine without them. When their status quo is challenged, they feel threatened and react with insults, instead of simply stating their disagreements clearly without the rhetoric. People reading both sides of the story can come to their own conclusions. But of course, since they don't trust themselves to do what they choose instead of what the engineers have done, they will not trust others to come to their own balanced conclusions as well, and so resort to juvenile behaviour.
I am wise enough to know when somebody knows better than I. I know that the engineers at BMW had vastly more time and resources to test for all conditions a vehicle might see. I am not foolish enough to question the bulk of the design. It has proven extremely durable over time and miles.

It isn't fear bobby, trust me son, a week in my shoes would probably kill you. There is little I fear. There is a status quo for a reason. You are not out living on the edge of technology with a 20 yr old BMW. You are driving a known quantity, there aren't any tricks that havent been tried. Ironicly, you haven't propose a single idea I hadn't heard before. You act as though you are coming up with these ideas as some great visonary. You are so pathetic you claim others leaps of faith as your own, even when they are proven failures.

I am not the one coming on the internet telling lies bobby. My defense of the facts is just that, not some juvenille response. That would be what you did, all about emotions, nothing about the facts.
'98 750iL '86 325(e)/5
'95 740iL '84 318i/5
Old 10-22-2012, 04:58 PM

Mein Auto: 1995 525i
Funny that some fan guru forgot to mention that the transmission oil cooler is also in the mix , last thing I want is having tranny problems too . Oops did someone forget about the external tranny cooler LOL bad boy bad bad boy LOL

Old 10-22-2012, 06:32 PM

Mein Auto: Supercharged E34 540i6
This is getting out of hand LOL. During the winter season your car will obviously survive without the fan clutch. But, once the weather heats up you might start to experience some weird issues with your AC and transmission. Hopefully you'll put an electric fan in before you start damaging parts of your drivetrain.

Edit: grammar check

Last edited by Costa; 10-22-2012 at 09:32 PM.
Old 11-17-2012, 02:57 PM
Banned

Please see my OP for an important update.